The diving thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The AFL just let's diving happen every week and it's a blight on the game. Every week piss weak footballers get rewarded with free kicks for flopping and diving and it has to stop. The only way is for the fans and the media to highlight it because the AFL would rather penalize a jumper punch for its image and allow players to fall over from the slightest contact like soccer players.

Alex Rance slapped Buddy across the chest and then copped one himself and went down like a bitch. He then recieved a free kick for it. He should be handed a first offence fine by the AFL and suspended next time.
Last year when he elbowed jack watts in the back of the head jack viney slapped him on the chest and he fell over aswell

Let's stop these piss weak pricks ruining the game even further.

Post your weekly clips into this thread from the round

Chad wingard last week should have been suspended for his dive.

AFL has cleaned up two areas that were blighting our game last year. The high contact rule is now being adjudicated as it should be and we have massively reduced blatant throwing the ball.

Diving and playing for frees is what they now need to tackle because it can and does influence the outcome of games. I'd like every Monday night panel show to highlight and shame the actors every week and if that doesn't stamp it out how about the AFL look at the same clear cut vision and issue fines for first offences and threaten suspensions for continuing to do it.

Umpiring is difficult enough without being embarrassed by faking players once the vision is up a few seconds later on the big screen.

Maybe first training session for the umps each week can show the vision of that weekends offenders!

Good post, I don't like it at all and every club has lots of players that do it, some look much worse than others.

A Monday show shaming them would be perfect and generally fans of our sport used to be proud of the lack of acting compared to soccer. We could hold our heads high, this is or has diminished fast.
We also liked the brutality of the sport and jumper punching is hardly brutal but we try to take that away because Mum's don't like their kids seeing it. Let players show aggression, if players want to play they know it's an aggressive sport.
Start fining a few incidents a week and let those players have it.

Wingard was pretty bad last week
The Selwood arm lift (and his protégés who also do it) is another
And the swan dive in marking contests from minimal contact which is prevalent amongst many defenders

Rules and interpretations need to be simplified to reduce players looking to exploit them

Push needs to be hands in the back and a forward motion.

High tackle should be based on the initial contact if the player being tackled opts to try break it (opting to break and not releasing ball should be prior imo too)

MRP should review for all staging , diving, throwing the head back in tackles, throwing the body forward in marks and even appealing for frees and arguing with umps.

1 week first offence and 4 weeks for repeat offences.

Umpiring is difficult enough without being embarrassed by faking players once the vision is up a few seconds later on the big screen.

Maybe first training session for the umps each week can show the vision of that weekends offenders!
I think this is a good idea , and like players talk about other players, umpires will/should talk about players they have noticed

Recall the umpires comment to Greene? ' we've been told to keep an eye on you' (paraphrased)

You lied about that the first time it was being discussed and here you go again

Fair dinkum every supporter base has bias but that's one of the worst dives of all time on an AFL field.

And the swan dive in marking contests from minimal contact which is prevalent amongst many defenders

Rules and interpretations need to be simplified to reduce players looking to exploit them

High tackle should be based on the initial contact if the player being tackled opts to try break it (opting to break and not releasing ball should be prior imo too)

The player with the ball must get priority, the tackler needs to execute properly.

The Selwood whinge is based on being second to the ball, win the ball & its a non issue. Beating Selwood to the ball, now that requires much more than a mediocre footballer ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bringing Selwood into this thread-brilliant! ;)

You lied about that the first time it was being discussed and here you go again

I have no idea what's been said about it previously, but how is it a lie to say Wingard copped 'a whack to the face in the eye region'? It's clear as day from the front on vision.

Fair enough he added some mayo, but the contact was definitely there.

Jack Lonie's on Friday night was horrible. Sucked the umpire right in.

Justice was him shanking the 25m set shot
This, it was pathetic to watch. I hate to see that from our players, it's embarrassing.

I wouldn't even be sad if Jack Lonie never wore a Saints jumper ever again.

This, it was pathetic to watch. I hate to see that from our players, it's embarrassing.

I wouldn't even be sad if Jack Lonie never wore a Saints jumper ever again.

Kudos for acknowledging one of your own. Very tough task on big footy.

Melbourne is pretty good for it although Hogan tends to spend more time playing to the umpires than focusing

Maybe there could be a review on some of those real howlers. Especially in the one with Lonie there would've been plenty of time for a quick turn around and either ball it up or pay a free against Lonie. I'm sure the umpires pretty much know straight away they've made a mistake in most cases but can't overturn it.

I have no idea what's been said about it previously, but how is it a lie to say Wingard copped 'a whack to the face in the eye region'? It's clear as day from the front on vision.

Maybe I'm watching different footage but I've watched it at least 100 times and still fail to see any contact at all above the chest, let alone above the shoulder.

Was it definitely there. Front on to me it looks like the initial contact was with the upper chest.

Wingard's reaction certainly was delayed even if he did get a slight graze to the face, which from that footage I'm sure he did not

Remove this Banner Ad

Back