The diving thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe I'm watching different footage but I've watched it at least 100 times and still fail to see any contact at all above the chest, let alone above the shoulder.
Same here but I only watched it 4 times-you are just joking about the 100 yep?

The one that gets me is a tackler from behind lays a decent tackle, guy with ball buckles knees falls forward and gets a free for a push in the back. Reward the tackler, not the guy who decides to use momentum to his advantage to gain a free that was never there in the first place...

But I thought social media only brought it up when Lindsay Thomas does it? Are you telling me we aren't all racist?

Jack Lonie's on Friday night was horrible. Sucked the umpire right in.

Justice was him shanking the 25m set shot

Looks like he's been getting lessons from Toby McLean who has made that sort of stuff an art form.

Looks like he's been getting lessons from Toby McLean who has made that sort of stuff an art form.

McLean doesn't really dive. Ducks yes, but typically doesn't try and invent contact. Dahlhaus does sometimes.

Wouldn't mention McLean in the same sentence as lonie anyway. One is a kid with lots of talent but bad habits. The other is Jack Lonie.

McLean doesn't really dive. Ducks yes, but typically doesn't try and invent contact. Dahlhaus does sometimes.

Wouldn't mention McLean in the same sentence as lonie anyway. One is a kid with lots of talent but bad habits. The other is Jack Lonie.

Well I'm not a big fan of Lonie and I'd prefer he wasn't in our team but that's got nothing to do with playing for free kicks, he's just not strong enough.

I don't think McLean is all that effective either if he doesn't play for free kicks as like Lonie he struggles to win contested ball any other way.

Fair dinkum every supporter base has bias but that's one of the worst dives of all time on an AFL field.

Oh no, you fellow

In the days of yore we were blessed with a mighty diver.

Springboard for boots

Metal club for a hand

A beeline for the player 5m beyond the ball.

All hail the champion diver .... Matthew Lloyd

The diving (love how soccer calls it simulation) is a blight on the game, and taints some brilliant careers.

I don't think McLean is all that effective either if he doesn't play for free kicks as like Lonie he struggles to win contested ball any other way.

It's not all about contested ball. McLean is an aerial threat and is good around the goals. His clutch snap in the grand final can attest to that

Does anyone remember when football supporters could hang s**t on soccer supporters for their players diving....

I am all for nipping it in the bud but lets not do a half ass job here. All instances of trying to milk a free should be stamped out, which includes instances where players are getting frees for initiating head high contact.

The one that gets me is a tackler from behind lays a decent tackle, guy with ball buckles knees falls forward and gets a free for a push in the back. Reward the tackler, not the guy who decides to use momentum to his advantage to gain a free that was never there in the first place...
I can live with players generating frees by exploiting the rules put in place. High contact and push in the back being the obvious ones. At least it's clever play, despite it being annoying to watch.

It's the blatant staging when no contact is made whatsoever that is a really bad look on the game. Keep that s**t to soccer.

The AFL needs to invest big money on swift video ref technology. At a minimum umpires should be wired up with an earpiece to get instant feedback from a video umpire. Delay from incorrect whistle to correct call would be in the milliseconds. Game is losing its integrity, and its supporters, with poor officiating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it definitely there. Front on to me it looks like the initial contact was with the upper chest.

Wingard's reaction certainly was delayed even if he did get a slight graze to the face, which from that footage I'm sure he did not
Reckon he cops it in the nose. Definitely contact to the face from his hand.
Unfortunately my phone won't let me post the screenshot as it says it's too large, but watch the second replay just above the top right corner of the insert pic.

Thread is useless without gifs.

The guy that does this:

jacklikesthis2_zpsw98tiraj.gif

Does this:

f_um6n.gif

Rhys Mathieson still throws his head back every single time he is tackled.
Mathieson is a worry, his technique is so good (bad?) that he gets high frees even with the stricter interpretations.

Dermie even mentioned that Dwayne could have called the high free before he even picked the ball up at one stage yesterday. Don't want any more Mathieson's coming through the junior ranks.

Callum Brown on debut did the old 'throw the head back' trick on a couple of occasions and was rewarded once.

Same here but I only watched it 4 times-you are just joking about the 100 yep?

Not entirely joking but a rough estimate. I watched the gif for about 5 minutes and then zoomed in for another 5, +/- 2 minutes I guess.

I figured the clip is 6 secs approximately in length so approximately 10 times per minute so it may have been as low as 60 times or as high as 140 times, probably more towards the lower end.

I like to be thorough and I figured I must have missed something so I kept looking closer and closer. Still can't see it.

Does anyone remember when football supporters could hang s**t on soccer supporters for their players diving....

I am all for nipping it in the bud but lets not do a half ass job here. All instances of trying to milk a free should be stamped out, which includes instances where players are getting frees for initiating head high contact.

Yep i used to enjoy playing soccer (not as much as Aussie Rules) but couldn't stand watching it (and still can't) to the ridiculous diving/staging - especially when a player on contact would roll around on the ground like he'd been shot with medics everywhere, then a minute later takes his free kick is running around like nothing happened.

AFL isn't that bad, but no doubt it's creeping more and more in to the game.

Must be stamped out, fines are useless so suspensions should be handed down and worse with every extra offence.

Unfortunately 'diving' can only be stopped after the event.

Exactly. I've been arguing this point in here for the last 5 years, and I got ridiculed for it every time. It's actually not that hard to understand.
The umpires have so much going on that it's almost impossible for them to differentiate between a dive and a legitimate free kick at real time. We have the benefit of slow mo replays at every angle. The umpires have to make the decisions then and there. The only way you can fix this is to have the MRP to review every free kick paid and penalise players for obvious simulations.

I assure you, once that rule is brought in, players would not dare dive/flop any more as the risk of getting suspended is way too great for a cheap free kick. It's the most simplest fix to this problem. Why is this so hard to understand?

Mathieson is a worry, his technique is so good (bad?) that he gets high frees even with the stricter interpretations.

Dermie even mentioned that Dwayne could have called the high free before he even picked the ball up at one stage yesterday. Don't want any more Mathieson's coming through the junior ranks.

Callum Brown on debut did the old 'throw the head back' trick on a couple of occasions and was rewarded once.
Yeah, Matheson doesn't throw the head back, he gets hit high through technique with his arm and body angle when coming up with the ball. Christensen & the selwoods do the same Its very hard even on replay to spot how they do it cos they don't drop their head. Will be tough for an umpire to pick something like that up.

The best way to do it would be to have ducking drop at the knees or any type of high take technique deemed as prior opportunity but woukd prob only lead to more inconsistent calls of holding the ball.

Will be tough to stamp out,

I have a bigger issue with the Wingard style head throwback when the contact is across the chest/shoulders. Or the Tom bugg falling over with slight contact that just happened 10 seconds ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back