The diving thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I agree. Leroy Jetta copped one for diving, and then nothing has been done since.
Worried there will be soccer level flops in 10 years, thanks to those who have looked for contact for years and have milked it (Joel Selwood).

Not sure what the umpire saw when Lonie's free-kick was awarded. He tries the whole throw the head back thing when getting tackled a lot in my opinion, but this was the first time I've noticed he get rewarded for it. Wish he didn't do it.

Not sure what the umpire saw when Lonie's free-kick was awarded. He tries the whole throw the head back thing when getting tackled a lot in my opinion, but this was the first time I've noticed he get rewarded for it. Wish he didn't do it.

It's a bad look.

9GE6nxp.gif

His head/nose are shifted due to high contact. Far from the worst dive I've ever seen

Bartel and Thomas diving from a marking pack would be up there

Didn't see it that close, fair enough he did get a knock that shifted his head as shown. But his second head movement after that was like a sniper got him

Wingard was pretty bad last week
The Selwood arm lift (and his protégés who also do it) is another
And the swan dive in marking contests from minimal contact which is prevalent amongst many defenders

Rules and interpretations need to be simplified to reduce players looking to exploit them

Push needs to be hands in the back and a forward motion.

High tackle should be based on the initial contact if the player being tackled opts to try break it (opting to break and not releasing ball should be prior imo too)

Using that logic, if a player is tackled around the waist and the tackle slips and ends up around the ankles is that ok? Or a free kick for being legged?

Players used to be taught to tackle the hips. They are now taught to pin the arms to avoid allowing the player to get a handball away. This is a risk vs reward situation. The risk being the tackle may go high as the player with the ball tries to break the tackle. You cannot, and should not ever penalise a player for trying to break a tackle.

Not a great deal of care about players diving in off the ball scuffles. Bad luck to the player sucked in. Although umps should let more of it go. Get play started again and the stuff naturally dies out.

The ducking and head throwing to draw free kicks really does make umpires look stupid. It's often in front of goal as well when players no the risk reward is worth it. Thankfully the umpires aren't paying nearly as many of them this year so the guys who do it continually get found out. In fact there's a number of footballers - McLean, Sicily et al - who are now far lesser players because instead of drawing free kicks in dangerous areas they panic with the ball and don't know how to break or dodge tackles.

Jack Lonie's on Friday night was horrible. Sucked the umpire right in.

Justice was him shanking the 25m set shot

how often does this happen? i'll swear it seems to be often but that's just an anecdotal observation. not just diving but any free the player knows he hasn't earned. it's as though conscience gets the better of the kicker as he starts the lead in for his set shot.

It's a bad look.
Yep.

He's not alone, in fact I wouldn't even say he's alone within my team.

Having said that, there are plenty of ways that players "help" the umpire see an infringement against them (or help create the infringement), but the head being thrown back is one of the worst looking.

Rance cleared?!? Hmm, who would have ever seen this one coming? Apparently "any exaggeration of contact was not excessive" according to headquarters.

Clearly the AFL are not serious about getting rid of this issue. Or don't see it as a blight on the game. So I guess any time you get a little shove and flop to the floor you'll not only get a free kick but you don't have to worry about the MRP stinging you either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least get it right.
Buddy hit him first, then Rance hit back in the chest then Buddy hit back in the high chest/neck area.

Nobody "hit" anyone. It was just your standard push and shove that you see dozens of times a game until Rance went full Greg Louganis

Nobody "hit" anyone. It was just your standard push and shove that you see dozens of times a game until Rance went full Greg Louganis
What an over reaction to what Rance did. Hit reasonably high to get a free kick, you don't get a free for a push in the chest. Good deal of force in an angry wound up Franklin stiff arm, would put most down especially when there is a chance of a free. I've seen that 100 times in footy over the years. If it went the other way I would have no problems with Buddy getting the free.

Yeah, Matheson doesn't throw the head back, he gets hit high through technique with his arm and body angle when coming up with the ball. Christensen & the selwoods do the same Its very hard even on replay to spot how they do it cos they don't drop their head. Will be tough for an umpire to pick something like that up.
Mathieson is special one. The way he shrugs is almost like he's pretending to be superman. For mine the arm that isn't holding the football being raised, and in Mathieson's case being vertical is an obvious tell tale sign that the tackler has created the high contact. If that occurs it should be considered play on/prior opportunity.

His debut is quite incredible to watch.

Usually those don't include throat high pushes.

Nor do they in this case: The MRP said Franklin struck Rance in the "upper chest" and under the MRP's guidelines, the Panel said "any exaggeration of the contact that was made to Rance was not excessive".

I'd love to see "excessive" - would he need to bury himself 6 foot under?

Looks like he's been getting lessons from Toby McLean who has made that sort of stuff an art form.

McLean and Hunter from the Dogs are bad. Grimes at the Tiges and Mathieson at Brisbane also.

I haven't noticed any Melbourne players doing it though I'm sure some could find some examples.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back