The diving thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. Need to nip it in the bud. We all know what happens when diving gets out of hand in sport...

people were saying nip it in the bud years ago when it was creeping in. now it's just a part of this new AFL.

Nor do they in this case: The MRP said Franklin struck Rance in the "upper chest" and under the MRP's guidelines, the Panel said "any exaggeration of the contact that was made to Rance was not excessive".

I'd love to see "excessive" - would he need to bury himself 6 foot under?
Oh ok. So the MRP say Upper Chest so that must be how it happened. But they also so it wasn't excessive, but thats not how it happened?
Same people saying 2 thing but the one you agree with is right and the one you dont agree with is wrong. Little bias there.

Unbelievable that Rance and Bugg got cleared. If players don't get fined they are just going to keep doing it. Really, really bad look.

Was like watching Manu Ginobili out there

Bugg should have had some sort AFL fine/correspondence. Bumping a bloke who isn't looking then running away and throwing yourself on the ground when the bloke you've cheap shotted comes to remonstrate isn't out smarting your opponent its a low act that needs to be stamped out of the game.

Bugg should have had some sort AFL fine/correspondence. Bumping a bloke who isn't looking then running away and throwing yourself on the ground when the bloke you've cheap shotted comes to remonstrate isn't out smarting your opponent its a low act that needs to be stamped out of the game.

The question is why wouldn't you do it? It the ump falls for it you get a free kick in front of goal and if the ump doesn't fall for it it's just a centre bounce. You don't seem to get a fine either way. Need to bring in a free against for flopping, or fine them to make them stop. If the umpires just didn't fall for it it would also help but something needs to happen to make it stop.

I don't have any issue to him giving it to Wood in the first place. That's his role in the team to be the Ballantyne type who gives the defenders s**t when they make a mistake but him flopping was a joke.

The push to the chest that caused Rance to hurl himself on the ground didn't get near his throat.

The stuff people invent in their heads to justify the actions of players from their clubs is scary*

True of all supporter groups mind you.
Mate, go check a mirror, I'm not sure you know where a neck is.

lol.jpg

Thats not even near his neck?

I don't get it, Rance gets sighted for getting actual contact which irrespective of whether he went down a little easily, definitely had enough force to put him off balance. While blokes like Wingard throwing their heads back like they've been shot without any actual contact aren't even getting a mention.

If you have an issue with what Rance did that you should be petitioning the AFL to do away with Joel Selwood and all his other mates, and anyone that dives forward to get in the back. The AFL should be trying to stamp out all forms of playing for freekicks but as they haven't done anything about career cheats like Steve Johnson, Puopolo, Shuey etc. you can all shut the * up about Rance because he's much better looking than you!

I dont disagree with the premise of this thread in principle. Got to very careful if you put penalties in place that you dont just punish players that aren't very good at diving though. Intent's very hard to prove to a tribunal although I agree with most of the examples here

I saw a Blues player do a similar bump to Ablett Jr on AFL 360 and he went down like Rance and nothing was mentioned at all.

Why do Richmond players always take centre stage in these events?
Because deep down we are all jealous of Richmonds success

The question is why wouldn't you do it? It the ump falls for it you get a free kick in front of goal and if the ump doesn't fall for it it's just a centre bounce. You don't seem to get a fine either way. Need to bring in a free against for flopping, or fine them to make them stop. If the umpires just didn't fall for it it would also help but something needs to happen to make it stop.

I don't have any issue to him giving it to Wood in the first place. That's his role in the team to be the Ballantyne type who gives the defenders s**t when they make a mistake but him flopping was a joke.

It was almost the perfect test case for my thread. Bugg shoved someone and then got a free goal for nothing, imagine if it was 6 points the difference in the last.
That's the point of this thread, why wouldn't he do that if he could win a game. Coaches will tell their players to take more dives if it gets them free kicks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely gutless decision by the MRP. "Not excessive" WTF, most pathetic justification ever. This blight needs to be stamped out of the game immediately, the umpires are having a hard enough time as it is without blokes flopping around like soccer players.

Imagine if that was the other way around and Franklin was the who decided to go down like a bitch and got a free, might've went back and kicked a goal in a 1 kick game. You can see it coming a mile away, the change won't be made by AFL HQ until it actually costs a club 4 points, imagine if a Grand Final came down to a flop....the AFL are 3 steps behind, and incapable of using any foresight as usual.
Although had the player who flopped been the villain Lindsey Thomas rather than the lovechild Alex Rance maybe they would've fined him.

The one that gets me is a tackler from behind lays a decent tackle, guy with ball buckles knees falls forward and gets a free for a push in the back. Reward the tackler, not the guy who decides to use momentum to his advantage to gain a free that was never there in the first place...
This rule shits me more than anything.

Fair dinkum every supporter base has bias but that's one of the worst dives of all time on an AFL field.
I don't know if it is a dive - he gets a forearm to the face while running at full speed. He's already falling over because he's diving for the ball, and throwing your head back away from the contact is actually what you naturally do, isn't it?

Yes it looks like the reaction is late but we're watching x4 slow mo. I think in his case and with Rance too you can't ever know for sure when the contact is there.

I think the MRP should stick to the way it's being adjudicated now - if you fall or throw the head back with zero or negligible contact, or pretend that the contact is elsewhere. Simulation in such a high contact sport is tough to referee, but penalties (forget bloody useless fines) are helping I think - maybe automatic suspension for any simulating?

In any case, we're a long way from this:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1753451.main_image.gif?strip=all

How's the salt for Rance's performance on Saturday?!

Had complete physical and mental dominance of Buddy to the point where Buddy shepherded the ball over the boundary rather than pick it up and have to deal with Rance.

Rance fairly had a crack at him for shirking the contest, Buddy lost it and went neck contact instead of chest.

Free kick every day. Rance made sure the ump didn't miss it, should he hide it?

Absolutely not, Rance had his foot metaphorically on Buddy's throat, why pretend Buddy didn't literally have his hand on Rance's?

When it was all done and dusted we made sure Buddy got off on another of his high hits on the day (on Menadue), but your deluded if you think we are covering for him during the game!

I don't know if it is a dive - he gets a forearm to the face while running at full speed. He's already falling over because he's diving for the ball, and throwing your head back away from the contact is actually what you naturally do, isn't it?

Yes it looks like the reaction is late but we're watching x4 slow mo. I think in his case and with Rance too you can't ever know for sure when the contact is there.

I think the MRP should stick to the way it's being adjudicated now - if you fall or throw the head back with zero or negligible contact, or pretend that the contact is elsewhere. Simulation in such a high contact sport is tough to referee, but penalties (forget bloody useless fines) are helping I think - maybe automatic suspension for any simulating?

In any case, we're a long way from this:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1753451.main_image.gif?strip=all

It's not just the throwing of the head back it's the laying on the ground like you were belted. If he was in a boxing ring would he stay down from that contact? * no so don't do it on the footy field.
Restrospective suspensions should be a thing for divers. It would never happen again if one bloke got done.
How's the salt for Rance's performance on Saturday?!

Had complete physical and mental dominance of Buddy to the point where Buddy shepherded the ball over the boundary rather than pick it up and have to deal with Rance.

Rance fairly had a crack at him for shirking the contest, Buddy lost it and went neck contact instead of chest.

Free kick every day. Rance made sure the ump didn't miss it, should he hide it?

Absolutely not, Rance had his foot metaphorically on Buddy's throat, why pretend Buddy didn't literally have his hand on Rance's?

When it was all done and dusted we made sure Buddy got off on another of his high hits on the day (on Menadue), but your deluded if you think we are covering for him during the game!

Rance took a dive simple as that. Buddy stood up to Rances shove then we he got one back went down like a deck of cards.

It's not just the throwing of the head back it's the laying on the ground like you were belted. If he was in a boxing ring would he stay down from that contact? **** no so don't do it on the footy field.
Restrospective suspensions should be a thing for divers. It would never happen again if one bloke got done.

Rance took a dive simple as that. Buddy stood up to Rances shove then we he got one back went down like a deck of cards.
Sorry, players don't need to pretend they weren't chopped in the neck during a game. It's very likely they'd violate the terms of their contract if they did- Rance is playing for Richmond and not the Bloods after all.

After the game, different story, I'm really happy we got Buddy off a suspension for a high hit on Menadue. But also happy we roughed the **** out of him the moment he did it.

Now if Rance had ducked to make a buddy chest shot go high, I'd agree with you, that's the equivalent of the scourge of slipping tackles high etc. but he stood chin to chin with the bloke a copped a neck shot, and all because Buddy was frustrated at getting flogged.

Maintain the rage, but focus it correctly (as buddy should have done!)

Absolutely gutless decision by the MRP. "Not excessive" WTF, most pathetic justification ever. This blight needs to be stamped out of the game immediately, the umpires are having a hard enough time as it is without blokes flopping around like soccer players.

Imagine if that was the other way around and Franklin was the who decided to go down like a bitch and got a free, might've went back and kicked a goal in a 1 kick game. You can see it coming a mile away, the change won't be made by AFL HQ until it actually costs a club 4 points, imagine if a Grand Final came down to a flop....the AFL are 3 steps behind, and incapable of using any foresight as usual.
Although had the player who flopped been the villain Lindsey Thomas rather than the lovechild Alex Rance maybe they would've fined him.
Are you blind, have a look at the photo a few posts above your original. It shows Franklins hand very close to the throat. That would put most on their ass.

The force warranted him to fall down,then he get straight up very quickly,I think because he got a free from it,got all Richmond haters hot under the collar,obviously barracking for the Swans and cracked it when Rance got a free and had to have a whinge about it.

I know supporting richmond is pretty much just stockholm syndrome but this level of persecution complex is unreal.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

You blokes have the Stokholm syndrome,plenty worse dives but the target was Rance who actually got pushed hard and got straight back up,plenty that were worse but Rance was the one put in the spotlight.
The only Stokholm Syndrome going on is from you oppos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back