The Dockland Trophy - Fremantle v Port Adelaide (1997-2002)

Should the Dockland trophy be brought back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sir Watchalot

Where is the fist truck now?
Feb 3, 2023
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is it time to bring this wonderful piece of 'silverware' back into prominence?
Thanks to Rising Power for finding this picture. Where I don't know, because information on the Dockland Trophy is almost as hard to find as the Tasmanian Tiger.
Per the interclub information on Hard Ball Get 'Your source for hard-to find Australian Football history' Fremantle and Port Adelaide fought for this between 1997 and 2002. It seems to have been retired then which is a shame. If only because if it had lasted a few more years Josh Carr who moved to Fremantle in 2005 could have been the 1st player to win it for both teams.

The Dockland Trophy.png

Last edited:

F yeah, first the Docklands Trophy... then the PUMPING FIST FLOAT FARKEN 😍

View attachment 1616305

P.S. Couldn't someone at the club pump up the campaigner?
The trophy is so god-awful it needs to be brought back! I'd like to see a giant inflatable version driven around the boundary before each encounter, along with the fist float and this beauty:
1677450097285.png

Is it time to bring this wonderful piece of silverware (?) back into prominence. Thanks to Rising Power for finding this picture. Where I don't know, because information on the Dockland Trophy is almost as hard to find as the Tasmanian Tiger.
Per the interclub information on Hard Ball Get 'Your source for hard-to find Australian Football history' Fremantle and Port Adelaide fought for this between 1997 and 2002. It seems to have been retired then which is a shame. If only because if it had lasted a few more years Josh Carr who moved to Fremantle in 2005 could have been the 1st player to win it for both teams.

View attachment 1616232

1995*—2002. *I think.

Definitely began playing for it after winning the license, but while still in the SANFL. Freo won the first couple of meetings in preseason friendlies against the Maggies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

h/t Grave Danger in Freo Scratch Match thread,

C8FDF0D0-C05C-4799-A91C-CE69FFF198BC.jpeg

This would’ve been the first time we played them for the hallowed urn [sic], and the final score will be on one of those little shields engraved on the base.

Nothing says tradition and high standards like a rivalry with Freo. We already have one of those rivalries here at home and it is more than enough of that kind, no need to invent another. I prefer my Port traditions to come out of a history of really consequential games, finals battles or genuine acts of b*st*rdry. Crows, Brisbane, Collingwood are... enough for now and if we ever pull our bloody finger out and impose some bloody relevance we will earn more rivalry.

h/t Grave Danger in Freo Scratch Match thread,

View attachment 1617645

This would’ve been the first time we played them for the hallowed urn [sic], and the final score will be on one of those little shields engraved on the base.

Elsewhere in that programme it says the first match was the year before (1995) - we got done by 6 goals. I can't remember the scores in 1996 - we held our own for most of the game, but they finished fitter and won by about 4 goals.

Elsewhere in that programme it says the first match was the year before (1995) - we got done by 6 goals. I can't remember the scores in 1996 - we held our own for most of the game, but they finished fitter and won by about 4 goals.

Ahhh, I thought it said 1995. Yeah, I remember first seeing the trophy and noting that they got the chocolates the first two times.

They copped some of their own merry hell with the more level playing field in ‘97.

Ahhh, I thought it said 1995. Yeah, I remember first seeing the trophy and noting that they got the chocolates the first two times.

They copped some of their own merry hell with the more level playing field in ‘97.

I used to have a $5 bet with a Freo fan at work when we joined the AFL - I think we got out a 9-2 head to head lead at one stage.

Back