The Docklands chess piece

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It seems a lot more common to have weekends where it feels like there's almost no footy in Melbourne.

There's now four guaranteed matches outside of Victoria, generally with a match scheduled in Geelong, Tassie, Ballarat, or the Northern Territory. You add in the Thursday night game and suddenly the squeeze on grounds really relaxes. The Cats want more and more games at their home ground.

My point is, how necessary is this stadium?

fwiw I love Etihad. I reckon it's location is just about perfect – it's not the ground's fault that the area is nothing but banks, offices, and foreigners in little cubicle-apartments. There's a tram line which is 50 metres away from every major metropolitan train line, V-Lines that go to Geelong (sensical), and big footy towns like Ballarat, Bendigo, and Gippsland. The city is a 20 minute walk away with another couple of trams going downward. This works well as it has no real true bias for any club and their traditional geography. It also suits families and younger people – the sorts who are going to massive concerts. I think the sight-lines are world standard, the atmosphere no worse than 60% of MCG games, and the concourses are expansive and comfortable.

An interesting point is it seems Hawthorn and North Melbourne won't be in Tasmania when their deals expire. Whether that is for the fabled Tasmanian team... not worth speculating.

Basically, is there scope for a third Melbourne ground? Will it become even more of a simplified split of some teams playing every home match at the MCG and others every game at Etihad, and due to their pull, you'd end up with Richmond, Collingwood, and the Hawks potentially playing 15 matches at the 'G? While the Saints and Dogs play as many at Etihad?

Do people think the AFL would be interested in selling Etihad and its land, milking the government for upgrades at Princes Park and Western Oval (31,000 - 22,000) and tying them into women's and junior football? This would mean they bank a lot more money in terms of percentages. Or is it just easier for them to maintain and slowly upgrade Etihad? Is the concert and football money – big Melbourne derbies in the A-League of which there'll now be two or three and massive shows like Taylor Swift – too good to pass up?

What is future of the stadium in Melbourne?

The facilities are now 20 years old. It's in pretty good condition and no one is saying it's uncomfortable. People there just hate it and have a bias against it because, basically, it isn't the MCG. Victoria also doesn't have the culture and politics of New South Wales, where if this was the Sydney Football Stadium, you'd be heading for a rebuild in 10 years. But do people really see the AFL pouring millions into this thing, potentially hundreds of, to keep it as an elite venue?

Is Docklands the major point, the central figure in the future of the AFL stadium in Victoria?

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
In my opinion, clubs shouldn't be allowed to play more than one match outside of their allocated state. Melbourne would become permanent MCG tenants as they should be – Gold Coast play a home game every year in the NT against the Crows, alternating between Darwin and Alice Springs.

Geelong Cats: 10 Geelong, 1 MCG
Western Bulldogs: 4 Western Oval, 6 Docklands, 1 Ballarat
Essendon: 6 Docklands, 5 MCG
North Melbourne: 10 Docklands, 1 1 Princes Park / Western Oval
Carlton: 6 Princes Park, 3 MCG, 2 Docklands
Collingwood: 11 MCG
Melbourne: 11 MCG
Richmond: 11 MCG
Hawthorn: 7 MCG, 4 Docklands
St Kilda: 10 Docklands, 1 MCG

MCG: 49
Docklands: 38
Geelong: 10
Princes Park: 6 (+1)
Western Oval: 4 (+1)
Ballarat: 1

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
It seems a lot more common to have weekends where it feels like there's almost no footy in Melbourne.

There's now four guaranteed matches outside of Victoria, generally with a match scheduled in Geelong, Tassie, Ballarat, or the Northern Territory. You add in the Thursday night game and suddenly the squeeze on grounds really relaxes. The Cats want more and more games at their home ground.

fwiw I love Etihad. I reckon it's location is just about perfect – it's not the ground's fault that the area is nothing but banks, offices, and foreigners in little cubicle-apartments. There's a tram line which is 50 metres away from every major metropolitan train line, V-Lines that go to Geelong (sensical), and big footy towns like Ballarat, Bendigo, and Gippsland. The city is a 20 minute walk away with another couple of trams going downward. This works well as it has no real true bias for any club and their traditional geography. It also suits families and younger people – the sorts who are going to massive concerts. I think the sight-lines are world standard, the atmosphere no worse than 60% of MCG games, and the concourses are expansive and comfortable.

An interesting point is it seems Hawthorn and North Melbourne won't be in Tasmania when their deals expire. Whether that is for the fabled Tasmanian team... not worth speculating.

Basically, is there scope for a third Melbourne ground? Will it become even more of a simplified split of some teams playing every home match at the MCG and others every game at Etihad, and due to their pull, you'd end up with Richmond, Collingwood, and the Hawks potentially playing 15 matches at the 'G? While the Saints and Dogs play as many at Etihad?

Do people think the AFL would be interested in selling Etihad and its land, milking the government for upgrades at Princes Park and Western Oval (31,000 - 22,000) and tying them into women's and junior football? This would mean they bank a lot more money in terms of percentages. Or is it just easier for them to maintain and slowly upgrade Etihad? Is the concert and football money – big Melbourne derbies in the A-League of which there'll now be two or three and massive shows like Taylor Swift – too good to pass up?

The facilities are now 20 years old. It's in pretty good condition and no one is saying it's uncomfortable. People there just hate it and have a bias against it because, basically, it isn't the MCG. Victoria also doesn't have the culture and politics of New South Wales, where if this was the Sydney Football Stadium, you'd be heading for a rebuild in 10 years. But do people really see the AFL pouring millions into this thing, potentially hundreds of, to keep it as an elite venue?

Is Docklands the major point, the central figure in the future of the AFL stadium in Victoria?

Whaaaaaat???? o_O :drunk:

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
In my opinion, clubs shouldn't be allowed to play more than one match outside of their allocated state. Melbourne would become permanent MCG tenants as they should be – Gold Coast play a home game every year in the NT against the Crows, alternating between Darwin and Alice Springs.

Geelong Cats: 10 Geelong, 1 MCG
Western Bulldogs: 4 Western Oval, 6 Docklands, 1 Ballarat
Essendon: 6 Docklands, 5 MCG
North Melbourne: 10 Docklands, 1 1 Princes Park / Western Oval
Carlton: 6 Princes Park, 3 MCG, 2 Docklands
Collingwood: 11 MCG
Melbourne: 11 MCG
Richmond: 11 MCG
Hawthorn: 7 MCG, 4 Docklands
St Kilda: 10 Docklands, 1 MCG

MCG: 49
Docklands: 38
Geelong: 10
Princes Park: 6 (+1)
Western Oval: 4 (+1)
Ballarat: 1
Why should the suns play in NT? We already play one home game in north qld so only get 10 at metricon.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

The MCC have the AFL by the short & curlys when it comes to the FIXture, in this case the FIX is the number of games at the G.
Due to the number of games in Melbourne fans pick & choose, and based purely on the noise I hear, they just dont like Docklands.
Personally I believe some the Melbourne club only games should include double headers for members of both clubs, the Saints & North at Docklands, attempt to manufacture a full house in the same way they have the country game.

AFL footy is well down the list of highest attendances at Docklands, see

I understand the 'pull it down' mob, but they arent paying the bills & seem to want great seats on demand and at walk up prices. I enjoy it preferably with the roof closed.

Cant see anything changing in the medium term.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Why should the suns play in NT? We already play one home game in north qld so only get 10 at metricon.

Just another example of people happy to use the Suns then complain about them.

The Suns need a FIXture designed to best suit the Gold Coast not be used as some compromise tool used wherever, e.g they had to give up a home game to facilitate the China game for Port, WHY?

Like the FIXtures in Hobart scheduling loss making games in Melbourne. Tassie eh, use 'em, keep the good games in Melbourne, the same thinking by the same people who went behind everyones back to stitch up* the MCC GF deal.

I am asked why I constantly refer to it as a FIXture, go figure.

* aka FIX.

Is the concert and football money – big Melbourne derbies in the A-League of which there'll now be two or three and massive shows like Taylor Swift – too good to pass up?
A resounding yes, and how dare you neglect to mention the current Big Bash World Champions!

Do people think the AFL would be interested in selling Etihad and its land, milking the government for upgrades at Princes Park and Western Oval (31,000 - 22,000) and tying them into women's and junior football?
Something I've argued about before, but I think the not-too-distant future of AFLW is entwined with Marvel Stadium as much as (if not way more than) the traditional suburban grounds.

But do people really see the AFL pouring millions into this thing, potentially hundreds of, to keep it as an elite venue?
They spent 20 years doing it, why stop now. More importantly, they've already got a $225m State Gov commitment to splash around.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
WO and PP won't happen because the money needed to get them up to crowd expectations of AFL spec isn't worth the effort
This ... and as Teen Wolf said, the State Gov't has also committed to $225 million for Docklands Stadium upgrades.

If there was to be any third AFL stadium in Melbourne, it should be somewhere down in the South East (e.g. Dandenong area or thereabouts) to be shared by Hawthorn and St Kilda. Obviously any such stadium must be accessable by met trains.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
The AFL would be better off telling clubs they can organise their own grounds if they don't want to play at Docklands. The AFL doesn't need to upgrade the Whitten Oval or Princes Park, if the Dogs or Carlton want to do it though then let them.

If enough clubs don't want to play at Docklands, sell the bastard.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Docklands isn’t a bad stadium but the whole area is a monumental *up of terrible planning. How the hell it ever happened is a mystery. I’m sure something to do with dodgy government deals with developers would be part of it, as is usually the case.

The rejuvenation of the area should’ve been about sinking the trainlines and then extending the CBD so that it had a proper waterfront.

Instead they built a giant stadium in the way to block people getting to the water. And surrounded it with huge shitty buildings.

Fixing it now would be an enormous task and probably not possible financially. It’s been totally ****ed.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
This ... and as Teen Wolf said, the State Gov't has also committed to $225 million for Docklands Stadium upgrades.

If there was to be any third AFL stadium in Melbourne, it should be somewhere down in the South East (e.g. Dandenong area or thereabouts) to be shared by Hawthorn and St Kilda. Obviously any such stadium must be accessable by met trains.
We had one in Waverley Park!

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
"Bunk Moreland, post: 62618926, member: 125179"]

Docklands isn’t a bad stadium but the whole area is a monumental fu**up of terrible planning. How the hell it ever happened is a mystery. I’m sure something to do with dodgy government deals with developers would be part of it, as is usually the case".

Ask Jeff Kennett. Docklands was one of his biggest stuff ups including the Stadium that his Hawks hate playing at!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We had one in Waverley Park!

Regional stadiums in the burbs have no place in the professional AFL era.

I can’t speak for St Kilda but Hawthorn’s Melbourne based crowds have mushroomed since they moved to the more central MCG. Then you have the importance of corporate support, TV facilities and traffic congestion leading into Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday Night timeslots.

Geelong has really only worked because it’s based in the heart of its own Central Business District and Geelong has a fat deeper and more meaningful connection with the Geelong CBD community than Hawthorn and St Kilda ever have had with the outer south eastern suburbs.

The Melbourne based clubs should all be based in the heart of the city, on major train lines so that games are easily accessible for memberships based north, south, east and west of the city.

I can see Hawthorn moving their games back to Melbourne (with an MCG and Docklands split) and the AFL looking to take games to regional hubs like Ballarat, Bendigo etc which works politically for the Victorian State Government and should help the AFL secure more funding for upgrades to training facilities in Melbourne.

If Ballarat works for the W Bulldogs it could probably work for North (who used to be aligned to North Ballarat). St Kilda is another team that could probably take a game or two to Bendigo or even the peninsula if the AFL can lobby the Vic Government for a similar model

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
"Bunk Moreland, post: 62618926, member: 125179"]

Docklands isn’t a bad stadium but the whole area is a monumental fu**up of terrible planning. How the hell it ever happened is a mystery. I’m sure something to do with dodgy government deals with developers would be part of it, as is usually the case".

Ask Jeff Kennett. Docklands was one of his biggest stuff ups including the Stadium that his Hawks hate playing at!

That’s a bit of a myth...

Since 1997 (last few years of Waverley Park) Hawthorn drew an average of 34,009 to games at Waverley Park (33,139 for home games, less than half the stadium capacity)

From 2000 onwards Hawthorn has drawn 43,181 for home games and 45,897 for total home and away games at the MCG. At Docklands, 36,673 for home and away games (but 30,231 for home games only)

Hawthorn actually draws more at Docklands then they did at Waverley Park, supposedly in their heartland.

I believe it would be the same situation for all Melbourne based clubs. All clubs have member bases all over Victoria, the two stadiums in the city model works very well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back