The Dog Days of August Thread - now with 100% more team previews

What is your favourite part of the off-season?

• The Draft

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Free Agency

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Not having to watch my team suck

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • New Uniforms (/peternorth)

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Spending time with my significant other (inc. Tinder dates)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Laughing at the Knicks

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Watching the *stars* flock to play international tournaments

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robust discussion on Bigfooty

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
The "Walking Meme" All-stars

#1 Chris Kaman

Dude, can I trade my All-star jersey for two Metallica tickets?

Taking the final spot on the list of whose only involvement at All-star weekend should be as a prop for dunk contestants to jump over, is everyone's favourite wild man, Chris Kaman.

Most NBA fans know the top five picks of the 2003 Draft off by heart. If you can name the sixth pick... then you probably should be writing this thing instead of me. Chris entered the league on a young Clippers team that needed a centre after the Michael Olowokandi Experience. He wasn't Shaq, but he was... something.

I entered the NBA Draft? Damn, I meant to enter the World of Warcraft competition.

As a big man, Chris had a few tricks. A couple of scoring moves, a decent mid-range shot, grabbing his share of boards, blocking the odd shot - The Cave Man could do all that. Unlike his fellow 2003 alumni Darko Milicic, there seemed to be enough raw material to work with in Kaman's case.

Unfortunately, despite a couple of decent seasons - he put up 15 & 12 in 2008, and 18 & 9 in 2010 (his All-star year) - there was never really much evidence that Kaman's numbers ever made that much of a difference. In eight years with the Clippers (and yeah it was the Clippers, but still) they only made the playoffs once, in 2006, on the back of a near-MVP level season from Elton Brand.

Let it rain! Chris channeling his inner Philip Seymour Hoffman.

After leaving the Clippers in 2011 in the famous Chris Paul trade, Kaman spent the latter part of his career bouncing around as a role player - a big man who could provide the odd bucket and a nice bushy beard. But again, he rarely seemed to make any of his teams better - he was in many ways the 2000s version of Rony Seikaly.

The point of contrast here of course is Rudy Gobert, a player who may not score as many points per game, but undeniably makes a difference on the court. Even playing in an era with a relative dearth of dominant bigs, it's tough to make a case for Kaman as a legitimate All-star. Of course it's also fair to say that Chris did deserve some kind of reward for putting up with "violations" like this on the court...

Chris may be the forgotten 2003 Draft star (and a forgettable All-star), but he will be long remembered in our hearts for making the league a stranger place.
And so whether his next stop is the Hall of Fame or the Halls of Valhalla, for this we salute the Cave Man.

Last edited:
My favourite Pollard look was the samurai-with-sideburns. That was badass.
I remember when they cut to a timeout and Pollard tells the camera “hey kids, do drugs”.

The "Vous etes tous des idiots" Non All-stars

#1 Rudy Gobert

View attachment 729736

I'm sorry, your request to join the All-star team has been... rejected.

Taking the final spot in our elite team of (supposedly) non-elite players is big Frenchie himself, Rudy Gobert.

The Stifle Tower has been recognised as an elite defender since his second season, after being drafted at #27 in the fabulously backward 2013 Draft. Back to back DPOY awards and three straight All-defensive first team nominations lie testament to this.

At this point you may think to yourself "well, defence is all well and good, but that's not what the All-star game is all about". This ignores two things though.

First, Gobert plays an underrated role for the Jazz at the offensive end. There are no Hakeem spin moves, Kareem sky hooks or Lopez three point bombs, but big Rudy has a career TS% of 65% and PER of 21.5 for a reason - he works damn hard for all those dunks.

Meanwhile it may be true that primarily defensive players don't tend to spark the imagination when it comes to All-star nominations. However it is also true that the following big men, among others - Jamaal Magloire, Jayson Williams, James Donaldson, Mark Eaton, Theo Ratliff, Tyrone Hill and Roy Hibbert - have all been voted All-stars despite possessing little to no offensive games. And that's before we even get to likes of Kevin Duckworth and Chris Gatling, who got voted in on the strength of some hollow offensive numbers. What a morass of mediocrity that list is.

So let us all cry "sacre' bleu" and raise a glass of wine to our final snubbed star, Rudy Gobert.

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

2018/19 Record: 39-43 (9th in East)

2018/19 Stats: Off Rating 111.4 (12th), Def Rating 112.5 (22nd)

Incoming: Terry Rozier (3/57)

Buzzed off: Kemba Walker (Celtics), Jeremy Lamb (Pacers), Frank Kaminsky (Suns), Tony Parker (Boris Diaw's house)

Drafted: P.J. Washington (#12), Cody Martin (#36), Jalen McDaniels (#52)

Guards: Rozier, Monk

Wings: Batum, Bridges, Kidd-Gilchrist, Bacon, Martin

Bigs: Williams, Zeller, Biyombo, Washington, Hernangomez

Team salary 2019/20: $125 million ($7 million below luxury)

Estimated salary 2020/21: $82 million ($36 million cap space)

We here at Bigfooty Productions like to go the extra mile to bring you comprehensive basketball analysis. To that end we've invited folks from around the world to send in their most searching questions about all 30 teams who make up this weird and wonderful league.

This is the Bigfooty Mailbag.

Hi there.

I'd like to know what you think about the Hornets declining to give Kemba Walker a max contract?

I know many people have criticised that decision, but if Charlotte can't even make the playoffs then what is the point?

Regards,

M. Jordan, North Carolina

Thanks for your question, Mr. Jordan.

I can understand the Hornets declining to max out Kemba into his mid-30s, to a certain point. When a team has won 36, 36 & 39 games in successive seasons, then it's probably time to change course.

On the other hand, asset management is a thing. It's fair to say that the writing was on the wall for this group 12 months ago, at which point Kemba could have been traded for a package that would have better helped Charlotte rebuild quicker. It's somewhat ironic that the Hornets management kept faith with the likes of Zeller and Kidd-Gilchrist for so long, but balked at paying Kemba.

I'll trade you this delicious door-stop for your crummy old Danish.

Wassup?

A lot of people have written off Terry Rozier. They say he shoots too much, and that he doesn't shoot well.

But if you look at Kemba Walker's first four years in the league, he also shot less than 40%. Now everyone is saying that it's a catastrophe that he's gone.

Maybe people should believe in Terry Rozier more? Keep it real,

Scary T., Queen City

Thanks for writing in, Scary.

It's certainly an interesting point that you raise. It's absolutely true that Kemba had an abysmal TS% of 49% during his first four years, after which time it jumped to a very healthy 56%. Believers in Terry Rozier should take heart in that story.

However it's also a fact that Kemba had (has) more tricks in his arsenal compared to Rozier - he's much more adept at getting to the free throw line, for example. And while Kemba is very much a scoring point guard, it's also fair to say that he has always been a more assured floor general compared to Rozier.

There's no polite way of saying this: Rozier was horrible last season for the Celtics. He jacked up shots, he slept of defence, he pouted... and he torpedoed his own team more often than not. Prima donna stars are one thing, but moody role players are a headache that just about every team could do without.

Bonjour!

Everybody is saying that the Hornets gave Monsieur Rozier too much money.

But with le grand salary cap, sometimes I think it is OK to give role players the money, yes?

Merci,

Nicolas B., France

That's a very relevant question Nic, especially with regards to the Hornets.

One might argue that Charlotte has a full cap, has lost its star and is going to punt the season anyway - so why not take a flyer on a guy like Rozier?

On the other hand, giving fat, long term contracts to moderate talents like Zeller, Williams, MKG and Batum has played a large part in landing the Hornets in this mess they're in to begin with. Charlotte's cap congestion will begin to clear from 2020 onward, but they need to be careful lest history repeats itself.

Your 2019 Hornets, names not supplied.

Um, yeah... h-hi.

D-do you think that the Hornets should play the youth and accelerate the rebuild this season?

Or do you think that ownership will make me the coach play the old guys in the vain hope of snagging the 8th seed again?

Just asking for a friend,

James B, Limbo

Well James, the Hornets certainly have quite the dilemma this season.

Most of their money is tied up in players who will play no part in their long term future. None of them are good enough to be able to offload to a contending team, and they're all on big money.

On the other hand the Charlotte youth department is also a huge question mark - Monk, Bacon, Bridges & Washington have some NBA skills, but none of them look like sure things yet. It can be a fine line at times between giving young guys licence to play with freedom and feeding them to the wolves.

Accepted wisdom says that the Hornets should tank the season and hope the lottery gods smile on them for once. But with such a weirdly constructed roster, in addition to an ownership that has shown an extreme reluctance towards rebuilding of late (not to mention a spotty drafting record at best), it's going to be a tough sell. Charlotte fans are a patient bunch, but all they've had to cheer about in the last 15 years has been Kemba and the return of the best colour scheme in the league. Looking dapper while sucking at basketball will only fly for so long.

Hello, mortal.

Just a quick question here. I noticed that Frank Kaminsky was let go by the Hornets last month. Do you think they regret passing up that plentiful bounty offered up by a certain team on draft night, 2015 for their #9 pick?

Gotta go poop out a few golden nuggets and rainbows now, cya later.

Danny A, Massachusetts

Piss off, Ainge.

Last edited:
May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

2018/19 Record: 41-41 (8th in East)

2018/19 Stats: Off Rating 109.0 (21st), Def Rating 109.2 (11th)

New Gear: Derrick Rose (2/15), Markieff Morris (2/7), Tony Snell (trade w. Bucks), Michael Beasley (1/min), Tim Frazier (1/min)

Towed Away: Wayne Ellington (Knicks), Ish Smith (Wizards), Jon Leuer (Bucks), Glenn Robinson (Dubs), Zaza Pachulia (Russian mafia)

Drafted: Sekou Doumbouya (#15), Deividas Sirvydis (#37), Jordan Bone (#56)

Guards: Jackson, Rose, Frazier, Galloway

Wings: Kennard, Snell, Brown, Doumbouya

Bigs: Griffin, Drummond, Morris, Maker, Beasley

Team Salary 2019/20: $133 million ($1 million over luxury line)

Est. Salary 2020/21: $101 million ($17 million cap space)

Pistons Mailbag

Hi.

As a Detoit native, I'm always worried about the prospect of shooting. Can you do anything to alleviate my fears?

Yours,

Name & Address withheld, Michigan

Well my gun-shy friend, I'm afraid I have both good and bad news.

The good news is that the Pistons seem to have become followers of Morey-ball, in that the team ranked quite highly in both three-point attempts and free throw attempts last season.

The bad news is that Detroit sucked at shooting, no matter where they were on the court. The team ranked in the bottom quarter for shooting both inside and outside the arc, as well as from the free throw line.

I guess you could say that court time is likely for players who spray shots in Detroit... just like in real life.

The Collection Man cleans up when shooting goes awry in Detroit.

Dear jerk writer,

I see that Detroit's off-season acquisitions included Rose, Morris and Beasley. Do you think a gameplan based on long two's could be making a comeback?

Yours insincerely,

G. Popovich, San Antonio

Well Mr. Popovich, Detroit's choice of signings this off-season has certainly been intriguing.

The Pistons could potentially play Griffin and Morris together in smaller line-ups, although this could tank their defence, which was a strong suit last season.

Meanwhile Rose could be a viable option on the days when Bad Reggie Jackson shows up. Of course you then run the risk of Bad Derrick Rose showing up too, but hey... I guess that's what Tim Frazier is for.

Trying to find a balance between passable offence and solid defence will be Dwane Casey's task. Two of their better younger players, Kennard and Brown, illustrate this problem at the shooting guard position - Kennard gives you the shooting, while Brown does the guarding, but neither gives you both.

Overall Rose and Morris give the Pistons a little more offensive punch, but the former has played about four good months in four years, while the latter is coming off a horrible season. If they can't score efficiently, they won't provide the Detroit with much else, unless you count legal problems as a thing.

Howdy,

While eating our second brunch today, my friend and I wondered about Detroit's decision to not pursue Russell Westbrook in a trade. You can't make a delicious ham, cheese & bacon omelette or three without breaking a few eggs, you know?

Joe D & S. Van Gundy, c/o McDonald's restaurant

Thanks for your question, guys.

In short I think the Pistons did the right thing by standing pat. Not that they're headed for anything special this season - another first round exit is probably the most they can hope for - but committing to an obscenely expensive Griffin/Drummond/Westbrook core for years to come would have been an extremely risky move. The fact that the Rockets were also prepared to throw first round picks in to the Westbrook deal also makes Detroit's decision to decline bidding a prudent one.

Detroit's management still has some big decisions to make regarding this team though. Are they done with Reggie Jackson after this season? How many good years does Griffin have left in him? Is building around Drummond viable in the long term? Until they sort out these dilemmas, this off-season's Jon Leuer for Tony Snell plus four second round picks deal is about the best the Pistons can hope to do for the moment.

The Pistons might not be exiting this year, but at least they didn't splurge on long term deals for role players again though... *cough*.

The ghosts of off-seasons past.

G'day mate

D'ya reckon Thon Maker is ready to kick some bloody arse in Detroit this season?

Cheers,

Dinkum Aussie, 15 metres below sea level, Marvel Stadium

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news to a true-blue believer, but the only thing Thon is in danger of kicking this season is another Filipino.

He might block a couple of shots and hit the odd outside jumper, but Thon's game really hasn't progressed in his three NBA seasons to date. Pistons fans already seem to hold out little hope of a career turn-around, which is telling.

Maker might get a few minutes spelling Drummond, and if he does it's fair to say that he's playing for his career.

Greetings and salutations,

In a second round that featured plcks such as Bol Bol, Admiral Schofield, Quinndary Weatherspoon, Kyle Guy and Jordan Bone, is it possible that the Pistons' draftee Deividas Sirvydis has the most awesome name of all?

I. Ron Butterfly, Garden of Eden

Yes, yes it is.

View attachment 732498

2018/19 Record: 39-43 (9th in East)

2018/19 Stats: Off Rating 111.4 (12th), Def Rating 112.5 (22nd)

Incoming: Terry Rozier (3/57)

Buzzed off: Kemba Walker (Celtics), Jeremy Lamb (Pacers), Frank Kaminsky (Suns), Tony Parker (Boris Diaw's house)

Drafted: P.J. Washington (#12), Cody Martin (#36), Jalen McDaniels (#52)

Guards: Rozier, Monk

Wings: Batum, Bridges, Kidd-Gilchrist, Bacon, Martin

Bigs: Williams, Zeller, Biyombo, Washington, Hernangomez

Team salary 2019/20: $125 million ($7 million below luxury)

Estimated salary 2020/21: $82 million ($36 million cap space)

We here at Bigfooty Productions like to go the extra mile to bring you comprehensive basketball analysis. To that end we've invited folks from around the world to send in their most searching questions about all 30 teams who make up this weird and wonderful league.

This is the Bigfooty Mailbag.

Thanks for your question, Mr. Jordan.

I can understand the Hornets declining to max out Kemba into his mid-30s, to a certain point. When a team has won 36, 36 & 39 games in successive seasons, then it's probably time to change course.

On the other hand, asset management is a thing. It's fair to say that the writing was on the wall for this group 12 months ago, at which point Kemba could have been traded for a package that would have better helped Charlotte rebuild quicker. It's somewhat ironic that the Hornets management kept faith with the likes of Zeller and Kidd-Gilchrist for so long, but balked at paying Kemba.

View attachment 732555

I'll trade you this delicious door-stop for your crummy old Danish.

Thanks for writing in, Scary.

It's certainly an interesting point that you raise. It's absolutely true that Kemba had an abysmal TS% of 49% during his first four years, after which time it jumped to a very healthy 56%. Believers in Terry Rozier should take heart in that story.

However it's also a fact that Kemba had (has) more tricks in his arsenal compared to Rozier - he's much more adept at getting to the free throw line, for example. And while Kemba is very much a scoring point guard, it's also fair to say that he has always been a more assured floor general compared to Rozier.

There's no polite way of saying this: Rozier was horrible last season for the Celtics. He jacked up shots, he slept of defence, he pouted... and he torpedoed his own team more often than not. Prima donna stars are one thing, but moody role players are a headache that just about every team could do without.

That's a very relevant question Nic, especially with regards to the Hornets.

One might argue that Charlotte has a full cap, has lost its star and is going to punt the season anyway - so why not take a flyer on a guy like Rozier?

On the other hand, giving fat, long term contracts to moderate talents like Zeller, Williams, MKG and Batum has played a large part in landing the Hornets in this mess they're in to begin with. Charlotte's cap congestion will begin to clear from 2020 onward, but they need to be careful lest history repeats itself.

View attachment 732568

Your 2019 Hornets, names not supplied.

Well James, the Hornets certainly have quite the dilemma this season.

Most of their money is tied up in players who will play no part in their long term future. None of them are good enough to be able to offload to a contending team, and they're all on big money.

On the other hand the Charlotte youth department is also a huge question mark - Monk, Bacon, Bridges & Washington have some NBA skills, but none of them look like sure things yet. It can be a fine line at times between giving young guys licence to play with freedom and feeding them to the wolves.

Accepted wisdom says that the Hornets should tank the season and hope the lottery gods smile on them for once. But with such a weirdly constructed roster, in addition to an ownership that has shown an extreme reluctance towards rebuilding of late (not to mention a spotty drafting record at best), it's going to be a tough sell. Charlotte fans are a patient bunch, but all they've had to cheer about in the last 15 years has been Kemba and the return of the best colour scheme in the league. Looking dapper while sucking at basketball will only fly for so long.

p**s off, Ainge.

Jesus christ i am in tears. Not tears from the aussie cricket team bottle job, but tears of joy and climax. Absolite solid rolled gold!

giphy.gif

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
This mail bag is fantastic.

I wonder if Mr D Gilbert of Cleveland will write in comic sans?

Good question.

Usually Dan writes in comic sans if he's upset. Does he have anything to be upset about this year, nahnah ?

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wassup?

A lot of people have written off Terry Rozier. They say he shoots too much, and that he doesn't shoot well.

But if you look at Kemba Walker's first four years in the league, he also shot less than 40%. Now everyone is saying that it's a catastrophe that he's gone.

Maybe people should believe in Terry Rozier more? Keep it real,

Scary T., Queen City
I reckon I have a fair idea who sent this in

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
The "Walking Meme" All-stars

#1 Chris Kaman

View attachment 730968

Dude, can I trade my All-star jersey for two Metallica tickets?

Taking the final spot on the list of whose only involvement at All-star weekend should be as a prop for dunk contestants to jump over, is everyone's favourite wild man, Chris Kaman.

Most NBA fans know the top five picks of the 2003 Draft off by heart. If you can name the sixth pick... then you probably should be writing this thing instead of me. Chris entered the league on a young Clippers team that needed a centre after the Michael Olowokandi Experience. He wasn't Shaq, but he was... something.

View attachment 730975

I entered the NBA Draft? Damn, I meant to enter the World of Warcraft competition.

As a big man, Chris had a few tricks. A couple of scoring moves, a decent mid-range shot, grabbing his share of boards, blocking the odd shot - The Cave Man could do all that. Unlike his fellow 2003 alumni Darko Milicic, there seemed to be enough raw material to work with in Kaman's case.

Unfortunately, despite a couple of decent seasons - he put up 15 & 12 in 2008, and 18 & 9 in 2010 (his All-star year) - there was never really much evidence that Kaman's numbers ever made that much of a difference. In eight years with the Clippers (and yeah it was the Clippers, but still) they only made the playoffs once, in 2006, on the back of a near-MVP level season from Elton Brand.

View attachment 730976

Let it rain! Chris channeling his inner Philip Seymour Hoffman.

After leaving the Clippers in 2011 in the famous Chris Paul trade, Kaman spent the latter part of his career bouncing around as a role player - a big man who could provide the odd bucket and a nice bushy beard. But again, he rarely seemed to make any of his teams better - he was in many ways the 2000s version of Rony Seikaly.

The point of contrast here of course is Rudy Gobert, a player who may not score as many points per game, but undeniably makes a difference on the court. Even playing in an era with a relative dearth of dominant bigs, it's tough to make a case for Kaman as a legitimate All-star. Of course it's also fair to say that Chris did deserve some kind of reward for putting up with "violations" like this on the court...

Chris may be the forgotten 2003 Draft star (and a forgettable All-star), but he will be long remembered in our hearts for making the league a stranger place.
And so whether his next stop is the Hall of Fame or the Halls of Valhalla, for this we salute the Cave Man.

View attachment 730997

did he go into modelling post nba career?

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
You now have "Chris Kaman modeling" in your search history...

Sadly I only found his Youtube channel because it's on his Wiki page, right next to a confusing entry about his being an ADHD spokesman.

It does mean 'Chris Kaman' is on my search history though, which is almost as bad. Probably not as bad as nahnah & a certain unfortunately named Melbourne player's sister tho :D

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

2018/19 Record: 19-63 (14th in East)

2018/19 Stats: Off Rating 107.7 (25th), Def Rating 117.6 (30th)

Rode In: Sindarius Thornwell (1/min), Jarrell Martin (1/min)

Cut Away: David Nwaba (Nets), J.R. Smith (Space Cadet Program)

Drafted: Darius Garland (#5), Dylan Windler (#26), Kevin Porter (#30)

Guards: Sexton, Garland, Clarkson, Knight, Dellavedova

Wings: Osman, Porter, Windler, Thornwell

Bigs: Love, Thompson, Nance, Henson, Zizic

Team salary 2019/20: $131 million ($1 million below luxury line)

Est. salary 2020/21: $68 million ($50 million cap space)

Cavaliers Mailbag

Hello? Is there anybody out there?

I just read in my daily Russian language newspaper that Cleveland has drafted another point guard with their first round pick. Actually I can't read Cyrillic, but I managed to decipher the pictures.

Anyway, do you think the genius who started this whole 'multiple point guard' thing might have been wise before his time? A manna from heaven?

D. Kahn, Outer Siberia

It's not often we get letters from the tundra wastelands, so I appreciate your writing in Mr. Kahn.

To answer your question, it is quite unusual for a team to invest successive lottery picks in point guards with overlapping strengths. While the Cavs will be hoping that Garland is more of a pure playmaker than Sexton, it's fair to say that scoring and shooting is the strong suit of the two Cleveland guards. Guarding people going the other way will be interesting to say the least though. Ability to learn to play off the ball will also be crucial.

It has been pointed out that the Portland Lillard/McCollum tandem is the example that the Cavaliers have in mind to follow. Of course the Blazers have made that situation work by surrounding their guards with strong defensive role players, so Cleveland's future roster construction will play a major role in whether their experiment works or not. It also helps if you don't draft Johnny Flynn, Wes Johnson and Derrick Williams with high lottery picks.

The Cavs had three first round picks this year. Rumour has it that Danny Ainge is hoping to smash that record soon.

To the mailbag readers at Bigfooty,

While recently browsing some Voltaire, Goethe and Marcus Aurelius, I began to think about the Cavaliers. And while I was thinking about my thinking about the Cavaliers, I came to the realisation that they're spending too much in salary for a rebuilding team.

Why are Cleveland on the verge of paying the luxury tax this year? Should not have Kevin Love been traded away for draft picks by now? If you need me, I'll be in by local library, or on my podcast.

S. Hinkie, Denver Broncos HQ

Hi Mr.H, good to have interested readers from across sporting platforms and intellectual horizons.

To start to answer your question, yes it is true that the Cavs are sailing perilously close to the luxury tax line this season, which seems astounding for a 20 win team. On the other hand, they have five big contracts totaling roughly $67 million in salary coming off the books at the end of this season, leaving them in much clearer air. Some of those contracts (Henson, Dellavedova, Knight) were taken on for draft picks, so the Cavs are doing some things right.

The second part of your question, and the more interesting dilemma revolves around Kevin Love, who is now entering the first year of a $120 million extension he penned a year ago. Given he was injured for most of last season, sometimes you can't hurry Love's trade, you just have to wait. Also, given that he is a five-time All-star signed through four years, it's good to exercise caution and allow suitors to inflate the market - to try and ensure that the competition to sign Love is a battlefield. Sure you might get the odd GM who strings you along and promises a good deal, only to ring days later and say "I'm not into Love, so just forget it - it's just a silly phase I was going through'. It happens, and the Cavs should just continue to be patient: all teams need shooters, and that's the power of Love.

Howdy,

Remembering some of the good old Cleveland teams of the 1990s, they always played tough defence.

Don't you think this current Cavaliers team needs less fancy scoring and more old-school rugged D? How about drawing up some more plays too?

M. Fratello, Czar of TNT studios

Thanks for your question, Mr. Czar.

In many ways you are right: Cleveland could do with a decent defender or two from somewhere, anywhere. The Cavs gave up a eye-watering 117.6 points per 100 last season, despite playing at one of the league's slowest paces (something tells me you'd approve). They also blocked 195 shots as a team, which was less than Myles Turner managed on his own.

On the other hand, they're young and they're rebuilding, so what does it matter really? As a general principle, I have no problem in drafting based on talent now, and filling in the gaps later. But yeah, a Garland/Sexton/Osman/Love/Thompson line-up ain't stopping anyone, even with noted former college coach John Beilein working to teach the young 'uns the ropes.

Giving up 114 points per game? It didn't used to be like this.

Yeah G'day

I notice that the New Orleans Pelicans own Cleveland's first round pick this year if it falls outside the top 10.

Any chance of that happening?

S. Skeletor, c/o the interwebz

That's one of the finest questions we've had yet. Cutting insight and wonderfully phrased too.

And to answer your question, if the Garland/Sexton combo clicks early and Love rediscovers his A-game, then... ah, stuff it, no use sugar-coating this.

No. Chance. In. Hell.

Dear Cleveland and Bigfooty,

As you know, our former hero is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier. He has betrayed us. You all deserve so much more, including proper comic sans (curse you Bigfooty).

In the meantime, I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THAT SNAKE IN THE GRASS, THAT TRAITOROUS WRETCH, THE SO-CALLED "DEMOLITION MAN", DAVID NWABA, WINS ONE. You can take it to the bank.

The good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland - the lack of #1 draft picks. Sleep well, Cleveland. I PROMISE that the energy, focus and knowledge of this organisation will be directed at one thing only: DELIVERING YOU the #1 Lottery pick that we all so richly deserve, and is long overdue...

Dan G, Quicken Loans

Um... thanks Dan.

Technically that's not a question, just a really weird manifesto that reads like it was written by a hormonal teenager... but we wish you luck in your quest.

Last edited:
Back