Workshop "The Dolphins" NRL Expansion kits/identity workshop

Zac_Barker

Senior List
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are you replying to the wrong comment? cos i agree, Dolphins isn't great. I still put forward Bayside, because everything essentially north of the river (that divides Brisbane) could i guess be considered bayside. They also may even pull in the coastal supporters, i.e. Manly, Wynnum
I think that still will be broncos territory until the FireHawks are added into the NRL (If They Do) because they apparently represent the southern suburbs of Brisbane

Mozzie_Squad

All Australian
Dec 13, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melb City, Storm, Stars
Could go for a Catalan Dragons-kind of look...

Dragons Catalans › News › 2019 › November › Dragons Unveil 2020 Kits

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
As a Port fan i'm finding myself yelling at my television about this branding. They're making a crucial, obvious mistake. Failing sports branding 101.

Just f***en call yourself Redcliffe. Everyone knows that you're Redcliffe. You put together an undeniable expansion bid as Redcliffe. Calling yourself "The Dolphins" doesn't broaden your appeal. Nobody who hates Redcliffe is going to support you anyway. Nobody who is indifferent to Redcliffe will care. But those die hard Redcliffe fans who have dreamed about seeing Redcliffe in the NRL are having their dreams crushed just a little bit by this, and trashing your core support is dumb as s**t.

I hate it.

They won't gain a single extra paid up member by leaving "Redcliffe" off of the name. Own who you are, or what was the point in the Redcliffe Dolphins even being involved in this bidding process?

chibimatty

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2010
Western Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WACA, Western Force, Arsenal, Glory
Redcliffe Dolphins with the phrase "Brisbane ★ Queensland" on the emblem somewhere could work. Like on a scroll underneath the dolphin.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
As a Port fan i'm finding myself yelling at my television about this branding. They're making a crucial, obvious mistake. Failing sports branding 101.

Just f***en call yourself Redcliffe. Everyone knows that you're Redcliffe. You put together an undeniable expansion bid as Redcliffe. Calling yourself "The Dolphins" doesn't broaden your appeal. Nobody who hates Redcliffe is going to support you anyway. Nobody who is indifferent to Redcliffe will care. But those die hard Redcliffe fans who have dreamed about seeing Redcliffe in the NRL are having their dreams crushed just a little bit by this, and trashing your core support is dumb as sh*t.

I hate it.

They won't gain a single extra paid up member by leaving "Redcliffe" off of the name. Own who you are, or what was the point in the Redcliffe Dolphins even being involved in this bidding process?
TIL there are diehard Redcliffe supporters

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC

Yep, just put that in the RL/RU thread.

A Redcliffe design for the team that isn't calling themselves Redcliffe.

But with that being said, this was what I was thinking they should do. If not this, the same shoulders with the full stripes going onto the sleeves (so the underarms would be red) and a white outlined with gold band around the chest.

So this
ef0284fccb9ce780f9dd311ac24a898b

Merged with this

Round-4-Roundup.jpg

Or just go with this

8d581dd203ff3f7a2fbb49b273d383bb

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep, just put that in the RL/RU thread.

A Redcliffe design for the team that isn't calling themselves Redcliffe.

But with that being said, this was what I was thinking they should do. If not this, the same shoulders with the full stripes going onto the sleeves (so the underarms would be red) and a white outlined with gold band around the chest.

So this
ef0284fccb9ce780f9dd311ac24a898b

Merged with this

Round-4-Roundup.jpg

Or just go with this

8d581dd203ff3f7a2fbb49b273d383bb
I like the third one!

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons

Just f***en call yourself Redcliffe. Everyone knows that you're Redcliffe. You put together an undeniable expansion bid as Redcliffe. Calling yourself "The Dolphins" doesn't broaden your appeal. Nobody who hates Redcliffe is going to support you anyway. Nobody who is indifferent to Redcliffe will care. But those die hard Redcliffe fans who have dreamed about seeing Redcliffe in the NRL are having their dreams crushed just a little bit by this, and trashing your core support is dumb as sh*t.

I hate it.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I hate it.

YoUr NoT rEdClIfFe YoUr DoLpHiNs EsT 202!1!!

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
YoUr NoT rEdClIfFe YoUr DoLpHiNs EsT 202!1!!

There's just no reason to do it.

I don't know the landscape of QLD rugby league but even if Redcliffe are the most non-offensive club in history, people already have an opinion of Redcliffe which they'll automatically port over to this club for better or worse. Much like we had the incredible dichotomy of both being hated for being Port and tarred with all the negative stereotypes, and also not really being Port at all depending on which opposition supporter you spoke to on which day.

They gain literally nothing by stripping away their identity. It boggles the mind that professional sporting organisations with millions of dollars behind them can't get sports marketing 101 correct.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's just no reason to do it.

I don't know the landscape of QLD rugby league but even if Redcliffe are the most non-offensive club in history, people already have an opinion of Redcliffe which they'll automatically port over to this club for better or worse. Much like we had the incredible dichotomy of both being hated for being Port and tarred with all the negative stereotypes, and also not really being Port at all depending on which opposition supporter you spoke to on which day.

They gain literally nothing by stripping away their identity. It boggles the mind that professional sporting organisations with millions of dollars behind them can't get sports marketing 101 correct.

As if they didn’t use us a case study. Only a cursory glance would’ve illustrated the damage caused by forsaking a traditional identity for literally zero gain (and on the flipside the benefits of re-engaging with it).

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
As if they didn’t use us a case study. Only a cursory glance would’ve illustrated the damage caused by forsaking a traditional identity for literally zero gain (and on the flipside the benefits of re-engaging with it).
Being honest though, what they're looking to gain is some of the Broncos fan base. The northern Brisbane suburbs don't owe any loyalty or allegiance to Redcliffe in any way. If they did go and make a brand that was just inclusive enough, it would make a hell of a lot more sense. Redcliffe as an area really doesn't have a massive population, so unless they try to make the brand cover a larger region and be more accessible, they may as well not be in the NRL. In saying that pick a name, don't call yourself Dolphins. I still think Bayside makes a lot of sense, it ties to those near Moreton Bay (which stretches into Brisbane essentially) and is unique enough no-one could confuse it with another team/region (I.e. Northern Eagles) without being specific enough to pigeon-hole it.

Still blows my mind they didn't go for the Ipswich Jets, considering the established brand, the population of similar size to Newcastle, the western corridor and the existing fan base.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Being honest though, what they're looking to gain is some of the Broncos fan base. The northern Brisbane suburbs don't owe any loyalty or allegiance to Redcliffe in any way. If they did go and make a brand that was just inclusive enough, it would make a hell of a lot more sense. Redcliffe as an area really doesn't have a massive population, so unless they try to make the brand cover a larger region and be more accessible, they may as well not be in the NRL. In saying that pick a name, don't call yourself Dolphins. I still think Bayside makes a lot of sense, it ties to those near Moreton Bay (which stretches into Brisbane essentially) and is unique enough no-one could confuse it with another team/region (I.e. Northern Eagles) without being specific enough to pigeon-hole it.

Still blows my mind they didn't go for the Ipswich Jets, considering the established brand, the population of similar size to Newcastle, the western corridor and the existing fan base.

If you want broad appeal you need to start from scratch. Broadening an established identity does more harm than good. Trust us, we know.

Back