Workshop "The Dolphins" NRL Expansion kits/identity workshop

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
Redcliffe is in the Moreton Bay Regional Council Area, which is top the north of Brisbane. Some of the Dolphins home games will be played at Dolphin Stadium, located in Redcliffe, with the majority of games to be played at Suncorp Stadium. The club will not be known as the Redcliffe Dolphins, but will still be based out of Redcliffe. The Moreton Bay Regional Council has helped with the funding of the building of Dolphins Stadium, which would go along way to having the team named after the area. Games that will have about 15,000 people in attendance will be at Dolphins Stadium, with the others at Suncorp Stadium.
DcK0Gsr.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Redcliffe is in the Moreton Bay Regional Council Area, which is top the north of Brisbane. Some of the Dolphins home games will be played at Dolphin Stadium, located in Redcliffe, with the majority of games to be played at Suncorp Stadium. The club will not be known as the Redcliffe Dolphins, but will still be based out of Redcliffe. The Moreton Bay Regional Council has helped with the funding of the building of Dolphins Stadium, which would go along way to having the team named after the area. Games that will have about 15,000 people in attendance will be at Dolphins Stadium, with the others at Suncorp Stadium.
hhlwklq.jpg
Moreton Bay sounds bad as a name, also the region is very sparse as you go north, and very spread out. The name also seemingly dismisses the former Pine Rivers suburbs (Arana Hills, Ferny Hills, Samford, Albany Creek, Strathpine etc) as these areas essentially consider themselves part of Brisbane. It wasn't until a few years ago that the southern region actually was merged with Moreton Bay Shire, before that they were called Pine Rivers Shire. Even now they probably share more with the Brisbane region than Moreton Bay and wouldn't associate with a team called Moreton Bay. Again, Moreton Bay is a bad choice.
A side note; a lot of people catch the train into the city for work, so North Brisbane (although not all encompassing) would have a better population coverage.
Also alternative name: Bayside Dolphins

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Think this was mentioned in the rugby thread but looks like it's confirmed they'll just be the 'Dolphins' (though the Redcliffe Dolphins will still play in the Q-Cup) - seems they don't want to limit themselves to just Brisbane and also appeal to Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast.

The Dolphins have just one name.
I feel like decisions like this just end up alienating more people, hometown is a huge part of identity

jpmelb7

Debutant
Jun 22, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apparently the colours will be red, white and gold. I have no idea why gold? Grey/Silver seems more appropriate as that is the colour of Dolphins.
This jersey as an example looks great. However, as they are going with red, white and gold (which I would replace with grey/silver) could someone mock up this jersey with white replacing the black components.

1634374830200.png
1634374830200.png

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
I'll give the Dolphins time to show their master plan on how the Dolphins will be identified.

Nut the main problem is the last team from the Greater Brisbane area was called the South Queensland Crushers. They didn't have a base and folded. Same with the Northern Eagles, they demerged and the Manly Sea Eagles survived, the North Sydney Bears did not.

The Moreton Bay area is the third fastest growing area in Queensland, the Sunshine Coast just north of Moreton Bay is the fourth fastest growing area. Dolphins Stadium, the clubs home ground is located within walking distance of the terminus of the new northern suburban Brisbane Train Line, see the map below. Moreton Bay is the larger area name of where the club is located.

1o8hzIi.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
I'll give the Dolphins time to show their master plan on how the Dolphins will be identified.

Nut the main problem is the last team from the Greater Brisbane area was called the South Queensland Crushers. They didn't have a base and folded. Same with the Northern Eagles, they demerged and the Manly Sea Eagles survived, the North Sydney Bears did not.

The Moreton Bay area is the third fastest growing area in Queensland, the Sunshine Coast just north of Moreton Bay is the fourth fastest growing area. Dolphins Stadium, the clubs home ground is located within walking distance of the terminus of the new northern suburban Brisbane Train Line, see the map below. Moreton Bay is the larger area name of where the club is located.

1o8hzIi.jpg
Name is still terrible though, and noone from that area every proudly says "I'm from Moreton Bay", they identify with (for example) Redcliffe, Deception Bay etc

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
I’d much rather the Bears be their own brand then Bieng incorporated into the Dolphins
Good to know, but considering they're an entirely different franchise and my comment was dripping with sarcasm, I don't forsee the Dolphins using the Bears jersey any time soon

4eva Youngy

Retro Footy Logo Guru
May 26, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Good to know, but considering they're an entirely different franchise and my comment was dripping with sarcasm, I don't forsee the Dolphins using the Bears jersey any time soon
If this forum is a microcosm of the confusing issue the club faces in the selection of a geographical team name, imagine this at boardroom level. If your in Qld, you would surely know where Redcliffe, Moreton Bay etc is, but for anyone else they may as well be called Flipperville.........because dolphins tells me nothing!

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
If this forum is a microcosm of the confusing issue the club faces in the selection of a geographical team name, imagine this at boardroom level. If your in Qld, you would surely know where Redcliffe, Moreton Bay etc is, but for anyone else they may as well be called Flipperville.........because dolphins tells me nothing!
Are you replying to the wrong comment? cos i agree, Dolphins isn't great. I still put forward Bayside, because everything essentially north of the river (that divides Brisbane) could i guess be considered bayside. They also may even pull in the coastal supporters, i.e. Manly, Wynnum

Back