Workshop "The Dolphins" NRL Expansion kits/identity workshop

Remove this Banner Ad

Still blows my mind they didn't go for the Ipswich Jets, considering the established brand, the population of similar size to Newcastle, the western corridor and the existing fan base.

That's the surprise for me also. I thought Ipswich were a shoe-in.

I thought it would be Ipswich and Perth.

Being honest though, what they're looking to gain is some of the Broncos fan base.

Being called or not called Redcliffe will not affect this at all. Not a single person exists who will jump from the Broncos to the Dolphins because they ditched the Redcliffe name.

Also not having a location name makes a club sound like a failed NBL franchise.

It's just bad.

If they want to gain a lot of support, they basically need to win early and often.

Ipswich bid merged with the Brisbane Bombers to become the Brisbane Jets, they were effectively going to be a bland generic Brisbane II.

An actual Ipswich team should have been number 17 but out of the three remaining bids the Dolphins one was clearly the best.

Moreton Bay Regional Council was a merger of the former Redcliffe City Council, Pine Rivers Shire and Caboolture Shire back in 2008. I know plenty of Pine Rivers and Caboolture residents who got behind the Dolphins bid. I reckon they will end up coming in as the Moreton Bay Dolphins or the Moreton Bay-Redcliffe Dolphins.

Moreton Bay-Redcliffe doesn't sound that awful. MBR as their abbreviation, could be used as a monogram or boldly in a logo. Could promote an "MBR" chant at the games. Although that's the wrestling fan in me...

— The Dallas Cowboys proud themselves to be “America’s Team,” have supporters everywhere, and are as Texans as they can possibly be.

— The New England Patriots were never as popular as the Boston Red Sox and the Boston Celtics, despite having a broader name than their neighbors. What changed for them was actually winning.

— In soccer, as I have already posted, club names after neighborhoods, cities, and universities never stopped anyone to become popular. In Latin America, we have Boca, Flamengo, Botafogo, Chivas Guadalajara, Pumas UNAM, Universidad de Chile, Universidad Católica, etc.

— In Australia, Port Adelaide would be a good example. Besides, I’m still in doubt on how good was for the Bulldogs to change their name from Footscray to Western. North Melbourne went all “Kangaroos” just to bring “North” back right away.

— The Redcliffe Dolphins won the bid. They should embrace their identity and keep the name in totum. If they want to be the “Northern Brisbane” club, you sell that in other ways. For instance, the Toronto Raptors sell themselves as the Canadian team in the NBA, but have never been called the “Canada Raptors.”

Never want a team to fail but the lack of respect the NRL and the people in charge on the No Location Dolphins have shown by not having a location name. I hope they get a kick up the backside with low attendance and membership the lack of a location in the name but taking everything from Redcliff is a slap in the face of a club and a region with so much history in rugby league.

Never want a team to fail but the lack of respect the NRL and the people in charge on the No Location Dolphins have shown by not having a location name. I hope they get a kick up the backside with low attendance and membership the lack of a location in the name but taking everything from Redcliff is a slap in the face of a club and a region with so much history in rugby league.
They quite literally have a perfect 25-year case study to look at in the AFL about why removing the identifiers of the strong team that earned its way into the national league is a bad thing to do, granted it's different things being removed and replaced but the point still stands. A nomadic team name just seems so unorganised and unprofessional. Even if they went with Moreton Bay as a location name for example, people are still going to know it's Redcliffe, and they're not going to pull people who hate Redcliffe over to them. Even in the news before they got accepted, the whole thing was Redcliffe this, Redcliffe that, even if that doesn't stand when people who aren't alive in 2021 make up the sport's fanbase, they're gonna know it's Redcliffe. I just don't get it.

They quite literally have a perfect 25-year case study to look at in the AFL about why removing the identifiers of the strong team that earned its way into the national league is a bad thing to do, granted it's different things being removed and replaced but the point still stands. A nomadic team name just seems so unorganised and unprofessional. Even if they went with Moreton Bay as a location name for example, people are still going to know it's Redcliffe, and they're not going to pull people who hate Redcliffe over to them. Even in the news before they got accepted, the whole thing was Redcliffe this, Redcliffe that, even if that doesn't stand when people who aren't alive in 2021 make up the sport's fanbase, they're gonna know it's Redcliffe. I just don't get it.

Growing up an AFL fan I had no idea North Melbourne were the Kangaroos between 1999-2007 until after they reverted back to North Melbourne.

I feel same things gonna happen with Redcliffe.

People will call them Redcliffe even though they are the no location Dolphins

Attachments

• 51E0297A-A9C9-416B-B4CF-94F21F6C6D62.jpeg
    51E0297A-A9C9-416B-B4CF-94F21F6C6D62.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 44
  • AD9B7493-FF1F-4321-B6B4-FE3F8925E460.jpeg
    AD9B7493-FF1F-4321-B6B4-FE3F8925E460.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 45
  • 0B300F18-0FB0-4EC9-A5DA-B0D160A7D3C0.jpeg
    0B300F18-0FB0-4EC9-A5DA-B0D160A7D3C0.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 46
Not bad, but these pre-done templates don't give you any opportunity to customise them at all. Thought about finding a downloadable template and giving it a crack? (also you posted the same thing three times)

Being known simply as “Dolphins” is really not that alienating; hardly anyone refers to teams in the QRL by their location.
The official website uses monikers almost exclusively, see the ladder here.

I’m almost certain that gold is being introduced because the Dragons kicked up a fuss.
Which is odd, considering they didn’t when the Steelers entered in 1982.
And black was off-limits because the Bears are almost certainly going to be reborn as the 18th team in a few years.

The main difficulty I found in using red, gold and white together is to not have it look McDonald’s-affiliated.
This is my attempt.
Dolphins.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being known simply as “Dolphins” is really not that alienating; hardly anyone refers to teams in the QRL by their location.
The official website uses monikers almost exclusively, see the ladder here.

I’m almost certain that gold is being introduced because the Dragons kicked up a fuss.
Which is odd, considering they didn’t when the Steelers entered in 1982.
And black was off-limits because the Bears are almost certainly going to be reborn as the 18th team in a few years.

The main difficulty I found in using red, gold and white together is to not have it look McDonald’s-affiliated.
This is my attempt.
View attachment 1351890
I'm loving it

I don't understand why they didn't go with grey/silver instead of gold seeing that's the colour Dolphins actually are. Would look much better than Vanilla Coke combo they've gone with.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back