The domination of Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast and Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

saints_333

Senior List
Feb 16, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The domination of Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast and Sydney

Just thought I would share but believe it or not since 1990 there has only been 8 Grand Finals where one of these teams hasn’t featured in (only three since 2000).

Collingwood v Essendon
Hawthorn v West Coast
West Coast v Geelong
Carlton v Essendon
West Coast v Geelong
Carlton v Geelong
North Melbourne v Sydney
Adelaide v St.Kilda
Adelaide v North Melbourne
North Melbourne v Carlton
Essendon v Melbourne
Essendon v Brisbane

Brisbane v Collingwood
Brisbane v Collingwood
Brisbane v Port Adelaide
Sydney v West Coast
Sydney v West Coast
Geelong v Port Adelaide
Geelong v Hawthorn
Geelong v St.Kilda
St.Kilda v Collingwood
Collingwood v Geelong
Hawthorn v Sydney
Hawthorn v Fremantle
Hawthorn v Sydney
Hawthorn v West Coast
Bulldogs v Sydney
Richmond v Adelaide
West Coast v Collingwood

Within that they have played each other in a Grand Final on 12 occasions and won 16 Grand Finals out of a possible 29 (more than half)

With three of the teams Geelong, Collingwood and West Coast featuring in the top 5 this year it’s likely that one of them will be in the Grand Final again and perhaps win it.

West Coast, Geelong and Sydney have hardly missed the finals since 2000. These 5 clubs hold the records in the AFL era for most either Grand Final wins, most Grand Final appearances, most top 4 and 8 appearances, and Geelong have never finished in the bottom 4.

Does this prove an in balance within or are these clubs just great at recruiting the right players and building their clubs back up quicker than the other teams?

Last edited:
What they all have in common is that in the main during that period of time they have been stable, professional well run clubs who strive for sustained excellence. Get the off field right and the on field will inevitably follow.

Other clubs need to aspire to be like these clubs, no grand galactic secret to what they are doing right, kudos to them.

It shows that strong administrations and club cultures are more important than draft picks etc.

Richmond had stacks of draft picks but we only became a decent club when Gale and Hardwick came in and changed the place internally

I don’t think there is an imbalance. Three of the least successful teams in this particular time period have been Melbourne, Carlton and Essendon. What do the aforementioned clubs have over these clubs to make it unfair?
Carlton - Cheated
Essendon - Cheated
Melbourne - Tanked ( may as well say cheated )

Essendon v Melbourne Grand Final makes it 8. Although, I wish it was struck from the record too.

I knew i was missing one because i counted 8 in my head and then suddenly i had 7 for some reason so thanks. Pretty forgetfull final to be honest though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it helps with solid draft picks but its more to do getting the right administration staff in the door, realistically seeing areas of improvement and have trust in those that you do hire and give them the resources to do the job.

What they all have in common is that in the main during that period of time they have been stable, professional well run clubs who strive for sustained excellence. Get the off field right and the on field will inevitably follow.

Other clubs need to aspire to be like these clubs, no grand galactic secret to what they are doing right, kudos to them.

And here comes Brisbane!

And here comes Brisbane!
Yep, and it's been all down to off field excellence, Fagan, Noble, Swan, medical/rehab, welfare, development, talent identification/recruitment & retention etc. + we now have the construction of a new $75,000,000 administration, training & AFLW base underway which is expected to be at least partially ready for the 2020/21 off season and 2021 AFLW season.

The club has done a magnificent job of turning us around and I'm extremely confident we can join the clubs mentioned in the OP with a run at sustainable success and relevance. When Fagan, Noble and Swan came on board they said this is a looooong term solution not a quick fix although they have got there a lot quicker than even the most optimistic Lions fan thought was possible.

At least we aren't like many sports leagues around the world where a few teams win almost all the championships. History shows the past was more unequal, so we're kind of lucky to live in a time when anyone can win it, or have a crack. In the AFL era every team has at least played in the GF bar the neweer expansion clubs, and all but 3 - St. Kilda, Melbourne and Freo and GC and GWS have won a flag, which is not a bad effort. Saints in particular had chances, having one of the best ever teams never to have won the cup.

But I do acknowledge a few teams seem to have dominated a fair bit in the AFL era and since 2000. St. Kilda have been pretty good since the late 90s if you look at finals appearances, were just unlucky not to win one in 4 grand finals appearances. Even as one of the smaller, less blessed clubs. Ditto the Bulldogs, who made quite a few prelims and finally won one. I guess money does come into it, but that's not all of it.

Last edited:
I don't know how Collingwood are in this conversation. They've made the GF 6 times and no I won't count the draw because that's irrelevant.

We have not been "dominant" by any stretch, we've only won two - missed finals 91,93,95,97,98,99,00,01,04,05,14,15,16,17.

Hardly an endorsement.

But I thought it was all about heart and soul and being around for 150 years in the VFL that make's a club great? Actually it turns out you need to know how to run a business. Who'd have thought?

I don't know how Collingwood are in this conversation. They've made the GF 6 times and no I won't count the draw because that's irrelevant.

We have not been "dominant" by any stretch, we've only won two - missed finals 91,93,95,97,98,99,00,01,04,05,14,15,16,17.

Hardly an endorsement.

Still to even get there shows you've been successful. Collingwood, for some reason, do tend to lose a lot more grand finals than most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back