The Donny Pyke Farewell Tour

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think that for what it would cost to replace Pyke, we could get a significant upgrade on every line. Realistically, unless the eSports team pulls a huge profit, I don't think the club can afford to replace a senior coach and 3 assistants and a Burton along with his friend Hass if most are contracted.

If it comes down to senior coach or 4 changes elsewhere if they were the right changes that would be my preference.

Early on Pyke got a lot of credit for his quarter-time changes and our ability to turn our form around in games, was this Pyke, the assistants or the players? Maybe it wasn't Pyke, maybe it doesn't have to be?

I just think it's ridiculous that the people in charge of football, Roo, Burton and yes, Pyke (although some say he's requested other assistants), feel it's at all appropriate to put a new senior coach alongside untried or unproven assistants and football people from within the club. They did this with one of our best lists ever, right when they thought we were in a premiership window.

Even this year, they thought we could bounce back, look it wasn't even totally unreasonable, but then you bring in assistants who are unproven? People who had to adapt to the AFL systems? Why the F#@$ does a so-called "have" club have to take risks when the result and their window to achieve the result was so immediate.

Even a Hodge or Roughhead, we don't know if they will be good coaches, they are the perfect people for a team where everything else is great and you have an extra slot, you bring them in and they learn from everyone else's outside experience and if they aren't immediately great coaches, you've got cover. We don't have that.

How are we not at least in a position to look at "have not" clubs and poach their best talent, their second in charge guys with experience at better clubs. The cap is one thing, but you design a workplace and a pathway to being a senior coach, you invest in people other people want to work with.

Also our last minute upgrades, if you want to believe that despite a big search Burton, then Hass, then Hart and whoever else just happened to be the best available at the time, why do we never seem to actually spend the next year, when time is on our side looking for the upgrade.

We are a club that settles, whether or not Pyke goes we have bigger problems, a whole system built on problems and no one is willing to do anything about it.

I know it's not ideal if Pyke isn't the man long term but what I would do is tell him results are irrelevant, this is a 2 or 3 year plan now. Bring in the absolute best we can around him and get this list right. Get the systems right.

Ideally, we go and get the best gun senior coach, I actually don't know how the club sells the message though, this is our reaction after being a club who is around the 8... I don't think the next guy survives a couple of years as a bottom 4 coach either if that's what it takes to rebuild.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I've been wondering if there is anyway we could bring Noble back. He might not be suitable as a head coach but is there anyway we could offer him a promotion that would entice him back to Adelaide? Look at the effect he's had on Brisbane's footy dept.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I think that for what it would cost to replace Pyke, we could get a significant upgrade on every line. Realistically, unless the eSports team pulls a huge profit, I don't think the club can afford to replace a senior coach and 3 assistants and a Burton along with his friend Hass if most are contracted.

If it comes down to senior coach or 4 changes elsewhere if they were the right changes that would be my preference.

Early on Pyke got a lot of credit for his quarter-time changes and our ability to turn our form around in games, was this Pyke, the assistants or the players? Maybe it wasn't Pyke, maybe it doesn't have to be?

I just think it's ridiculous that the people in charge of football, Roo, Burton and yes, Pyke (although some say he's requested other assistants), feel it's at all appropriate to put a new senior coach alongside untried or unproven assistants and football people from within the club. They did this with one of our best lists ever, right when they thought we were in a premiership window.

Even this year, they thought we could bounce back, look it wasn't even totally unreasonable, but then you bring in assistants who are unproven? People who had to adapt to the AFL systems? Why the F#@$ does a so-called "have" club have to take risks when the result and their window to achieve the result was so immediate.

Even a Hodge or Roughhead, we don't know if they will be good coaches, they are the perfect people for a team where everything else is great and you have an extra slot, you bring them in and they learn from everyone else's outside experience and if they aren't immediately great coaches, you've got cover. We don't have that.

How are we not at least in a position to look at "have not" clubs and poach their best talent, their second in charge guys with experience at better clubs. The cap is one thing, but you design a workplace and a pathway to being a senior coach, you invest in people other people want to work with.

Also our last minute upgrades, if you want to believe that despite a big search Burton, then Hass, then Hart and whoever else just happened to be the best available at the time, why do we never seem to actually spend the next year, when time is on our side looking for the upgrade.

We are a club that settles, whether or not Pyke goes we have bigger problems, a whole system built on problems and no one is willing to do anything about it.

I know it's not ideal if Pyke isn't the man long term but what I would do is tell him results are irrelevant, this is a 2 or 3 year plan now. Bring in the absolute best we can around him and get this list right. Get the systems right.

Ideally, we go and get the best gun senior coach, I actually don't know how the club sells the message though, this is our reaction after being a club who is around the 8... I don't think the next guy survives a couple of years as a bottom 4 coach either if that's what it takes to rebuild.
The cost not to act will be far greater.. when memberships aren’t renewed for next season and they have to buy tarps to cover all the empty seats..

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Membership revenue are the life blood of any club and the Crow's membership revenue is much higher which means West Coast have a high number of those 1-3 games memberships due to a "shiny" new stadium boosting their numbers. And yes they have, and that include from the Victorian media that we are one of the most successful club in the AFL. I've never heard we are one of the laughing stock of the AFL.

Man, that’s some serious stupid you’ve filled your crack pipe with

jirkago

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's a false conclusion though to say that because we've sacked coaches before we were wrong to, or should not do so again.

Yes, we need other broader and structural changes at our club.

That does not mean that Pykes performance has been anything other than unacceptable for two years now. What reason is there to think that he'd be good in a different structure?

- Primary strategy seems bad
- Little adaption in game
- Inability to develop game plans targeting opposition
- Putrid selection and doubles down on failed seniors in times of trouble
- Philosophically clings to 'structure' like Linus to his blanket.
- Blames players rather than takes accountability
- Seems to have lost the playing group
- We know has alienated players who eventually left.

There are, in my view, no signs that he can be better. Time he gets got.

The biggest problem is that the players haven’t tried in a lot of games. How do we address that?
I’m not in the sack Pyke club or am desperate to keep him either.

Game plans don’t work without effort, skills and a steeled determination. Pyke has it working well in 2017 but now it’s not.

We will see if the club actually do an external review and actually act on it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I've been wondering if there is anyway we could bring Noble back. He might not be suitable as a head coach but is there anyway we could offer him a promotion that would entice him back to Adelaide? Look at the effect he's had on Brisbane's footy dept.
He doesn't want to be involved in football ops long-term. He left us because he went for the CEO job and didn't get it, he likely takes over that role up in Brisbane soon enough.

Viva la Mattner

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tottenham
Any of you listening to 5AA? Piss weak call from Rosemary just then
I’ve sent the below in, doubt it’ll get to air
Someone let me know if it does

Boys, the call you just had is part of why the club is where they are
Rosemarys "don't pick on my boys!" Pussy footing mollycoddling attitude is why we've had years of mediocrity at the Adelaide footy club
The clubs knows they can get away with it because the apricot slice brigade will lap up the message they are given “

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

Rosemarys "don't pick on my boys!" Pussy footing mollycoddling attitude is why we've had years of mediocrity at the Adelaide footy club
The clubs knows they can get away with it because the apricot slice brigade will lap up the message they are given “
You know the good thing about old people....they die. It won't be long until the apricot slice brigade don't exist anymore. Let's see how well the club does in the court of public opinion when they don't have the blue dye defence force protecting them.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Heard it. Cringeable.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Wow

People on this board was pushing him out the door now people might to start to understand how good he actually is

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Wow

People on this board was pushing him out the door now people might to start to understand how good he actually is

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wasn't in the anti-Noble camp. I thought he was an excellent GM, just a little weak at the trade table. He probably wouldn't even be getting mentioned right now if his replacement wasn't such a complete dud.

I wasn't in the anti-Noble camp. I thought he was an excellent GM, just a little weak at the trade table. He probably wouldn't even be getting mentioned right now if his replacement wasn't such a complete dud.

Noble was always good at putting out fires.

Burton runs around splashing a jerrycan full of petrol everywhere.

Back