Unsolved The Doodler Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Doodler is an unidentified serial killer believed responsible for 14 slayings and three assaults of men in the gay community of San Francisco, California between January 1974 and September 1975. One of the survivors was a 'well known entertainer' (a 'diplomat' also gets a mention) whose identity remains officially a secret but rumored in print to be Rock Hudson, Richard Chamberlain or Johnny Ray.

Suspect he was a diplomat.

He got his name by drawing caricatures or cartoons of his victims before sex and then stabbing them to death.

For forty years, virtually unheard of.

"The story of the Doodler killings has not been even cursorily told. Unlike cases with similar body counts — the Zodiac Killer and David Berkowitz, for example — this one was quickly forgotten. It was, perhaps, somewhat a matter of timing. When the killings began, it had been just a year since the American Psychiatric Association Board of Trustees ceased classifying homosexuality as a disorder. Most media outlets, just maybe, did not consider gay men sufficiently sympathetic to rate coverage."

https://www.theawl.com/2014/12/the-untold-story-of-the-doodler-murders/

The podcasters and crime bloggers are giving this some attention now.

Similar to the start of the HIV issue. Just a lack of sympathy for any victim. Similar in vein to prostitute murders ' they had it coming' is widely said.

Interesting is it goes against the 'type' of being a black person killing (assumed) whites. Sad that at a time when people were being killed people still refused to speak out or identify anybody

Similar to the start of the HIV issue. Just a lack of sympathy for any victim. Similar in vein to prostitute murders ' they had it coming' is widely said.

Interesting is it goes against the 'type' of being a black person killing (assumed) whites. Sad that at a time when people were being killed people still refused to speak out or identify anybody

It's shameful really how callous attitudes were, still some way to go but we've come a long way since then I think.

Good point. White killers generally target white, black target black is my reading but while white serial killers tend to get more press or notoriety they're actually not overepresented as a group in the stats.

I noticed Gian Quasar of the Quester Files who did a lot of work on the EAR seems to have picked this up. Might be interesting to see what he does with it.

It's shameful really how callous attitudes were, still some way to go but we've come a long way since then I think.

Good point. White killers generally target white, black target black is my reading but while white serial killers tend to get more press or notoriety they're actually not overepresented as a group in the stats.

I noticed Gian Quasar of the Quester Files who did a lot of work on the EAR seems to have picked this up. Might be interesting to see what he does with it.
I think the killer has been identified , the police either dont have enough evidence or the will to pursue it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back