Books

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2005
On the Stairway to Heaven
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NZ All-Blacks
We still have to acknowledge (as a club) our fault in the Essendon drug scandal. After all it was Hawthorn that drove Hird to those extreme lengths to try and best our club. Given we instead went on to threepeat in that time likely means Hird will be fired up to try again some day soon.

And the AFL were apparently more than happy to condone and support this cheating, in order to stop Hawthorn.

#threepeat
#howsweetitis
#suckitupyouflogs

Essendon have purchased an eSports team

How long before they get introduced to the peptide regime ?

Or just a few cases of red bull!

They’ll be googling all the cheat codes as we speak!

From memory the Crows bought a team this year too. Baffling to me that people will sit around and watch other people play games - but there’s definitely money in it and it pulls in crowds. Obviously must be some value to have traditional sporting teams get involved.

They’ll be googling all the cheat codes as we speak!

From memory the Crows bought a team this year too. Baffling to me that people will sit around and watch other people play games - but there’s definitely money in it and it pulls in crowds. Obviously must be some value to have traditional sporting teams get involved.
It's really no different to watching some play sports or wrestling etc
They are watching someone be competitive for entertainment.

Darts has a lot of followers as does golf and bowling, lawn bowls etc

Most of the fans of the esports play the games they watch, a lot of them would like to be on the esports teams getting paid to play video games

It's really no different to watching some play sports or wrestling etc
They are watching someone be competitive for entertainment.

Darts has a lot of followers as does golf and bowling, lawn bowls etc

Most of the fans of the esports play the games they watch, a lot of them would like to be on the esports teams getting paid to play video games

Oh look I am not judging - hardcore e-sports folk probably think going to the footy is baffling. I just couldn't see myself getting into it - but good luck to those involved in it. I enjoy gaming - but I have no realistic chance of turning pro haha, I am absolutely terrible when it comes to multiplayer anything.

I sometimes get a bit sucked in watching the lawn bowls on the ABC or when it is on during the Comm Games. It can be pretty entertaining!

Oh look I am not judging - hardcore e-sports folk probably think going to the footy is baffling. I just couldn't see myself getting into it - but good luck to those involved in it. I enjoy gaming - but I have no realistic chance of turning pro haha, I am absolutely terrible when it comes to multiplayer anything.

I sometimes get a bit sucked in watching the lawn bowls on the ABC or when it is on during the Comm Games. It can be pretty entertaining!
why would "hardcore" esports folk not like other sports?
video games are mainstream now, plenty of professional athletes game, hell one the UFC champs twitch streams in his spare time

sporting clubs around the world are buying eSports teams, whether this turns out to be good or bad for them who knows but clubs are looking at other ways to connect with their fans, and ways to grow their fan base, plus the money being thrown around in some of these comps is getting pretty big

treat it like any other entertainment which sport is at the end of the day, watch what you like

why would "hardcore" esports folk not like other sports?
video games are mainstream now, plenty of professional athletes game, hell one the UFC champs twitch streams in his spare time

sporting clubs around the world are buying eSports teams, whether this turns out to be good or bad for them who knows but clubs are looking at other ways to connect with their fans, and ways to grow their fan base, plus the money being thrown around in some of these comps is getting pretty big

treat it like any other entertainment which sport is at the end of the day, watch what you like

Your overall point is kind of my overall point just maybe poorly worded by me - just because I don't get the thrill of the concept doesn't mean that others are wrong to like it. I am just saying that I am saying 'I don't understand why anyone would watch that' and there are probably esports fans who would say 'I don't understand why anyone would watch footy'. Nothing wrong or weird about people being into e-sports - just not something I would be interested in watching myself.

I agree the logic of buying a team isn't that bad and diversifying is a smart option.

Your overall point is kind of my overall point just maybe poorly worded by me - just because I don't get the thrill of the concept doesn't mean that others are wrong to like it. I am just saying that I am saying 'I don't understand why anyone would watch that' and there are probably esports fans who would say 'I don't understand why anyone would watch footy'. Nothing wrong or weird about people being into e-sports - just not something I would be interested in watching myself.

I agree the logic of buying a team isn't that bad and diversifying is a smart option.
there is a difference between not wanting to watch something and not understanding why anyone would

i have no interest in a lot of sports but understand why others might enjoy watching, you're pretty much saying you can't grasp the concept of someone finding watching competitive video games entertaining, if people like watching unboxing videos on you tube or my kitchen rules why can't video games be something people can watch someone else play for entertainment even if you personally have no interest you should at least get the concept

Hong Kong Hawk

All Australian
Aug 1, 2015
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Brom
“Lowering interchange rotations will lead to more drug cheating” - Eddie macguire

Sounds like an excuse looking for a problem.
I couldn't believe his comments. Why would any sensible person go straight to EPO as a topic here? Surely skills improvement is the number 1 incentive here.

Isn't the point that the game adapts. That skills executed well under fatigue become more important with less interchange. Maybe, just maybe, the game will evolve and the rolling sprinting ruck currently on display has to stretch out a bit, and become a "kick mark" scenario the longer the game goes?

Or am I missing the point?

there is a difference between not wanting to watch something and not understanding why anyone would

i have no interest in a lot of sports but understand why others might enjoy watching, you're pretty much saying you can't grasp the concept of someone finding watching competitive video games entertaining, if people like watching unboxing videos on you tube or my kitchen rules why can't video games be something people can watch someone else play for entertainment even if you personally have no interest you should at least get the concept

You're right - I used the wrong semantics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I couldn't believe his comments. Why would any sensible person go straight to EPO as a topic here? Surely skills improvement is the number 1 incentive here.

Isn't the point that the game adapts. That skills executed well under fatigue become more important with less interchange. Maybe, just maybe, the game will evolve and the rolling sprinting ruck currently on display has to stretch out a bit, and become a "kick mark" scenario the longer the game goes?

Or am I missing the point?
I think you are dead on. Eddie had lost his marbles ;)

I think you are dead on. Eddie had lost his marbles ;)
yeah because professional sports have no history of players under pressure taking drugs to make the grade :rolleyes:

I mean don't get me wrong he loves a sound bite but it's not like fans are likely to say oh less interchanges it's ok if you get puffed, they will just say the players aren't fit enough, while drinking large amounts of booze and eating chips on the couch

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
yeah because professional sports have no history of players under pressure taking drugs to make the grade :rolleyes:

I mean don't get me wrong he loves a sound bite but it's not like fans are likely to say oh less interchanges it's ok if you get puffed, they will just say the players aren't fit enough, while drinking large amounts of booze and eating chips on the couch
More common for elite athletes near the top of the field to cheat to win rather than those at the bottom of the top cheating to be midfield.

In any case, it’s an unsound premise. No matter what the interchange conditions are, there will always be players with marginal capacity to meet the fitness requirements. Changing the rules changes which players are marginal but it doesn’t create a new and unique problem. The motivation to cheat is ever present. If Eddie were right about fitness demands of the sport pressuring players to seek out peds then there would already be players using epo so basically his point is mute.

More common for elite athletes near the top of the field to cheat to win rather than those at the bottom of the top cheating to be midfield.

In any case, it’s an unsound premise. No matter what the interchange conditions are, there will always be players with marginal capacity to meet the fitness requirements. Changing the rules changes which players are marginal but it doesn’t create a new and unique problem. The motivation to cheat is ever present. If Eddie were right about fitness demands of the sport pressuring players to seek out peds then there would already be players using epo so basically his point is mute.
He would have been better saying it would put an unfair strain on players but he knows nobody gives a s**t. This is his attempt at brining the spotlight on interchange caps being bad for players

We know the sport doesn't give two shits about damage it cares about $$$ they don't make rule changes to improve players lives they make changes to improve the profitability of the sport

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He would have been better saying it would put an unfair strain on players but he knows nobody gives a s**t. This is his attempt at brining the spotlight on interchange caps being bad for players

We know the sport doesn't give two shits about damage it cares about $$$ they don't make rule changes to improve players lives they make changes to improve the profitability of the sport
Be interesting to see injury data. I know some guys in a running club and they said no matter the distance or your fitness level, running always hurts. You just get faster. So it will be interesting to see if that translates to a slower game or more injuries. But you are right about the afl, they couldn’t care less. But if Eddie wants to be taken seriously he probably shouldn’t be invoking peds.

Sound familiar? Not quite, more than happy to blindly ‘think’ systematic doping or corruption don’t exist in Oz.
Replace FIFA with AFL and Russia with * and we have a story

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...-a-red-card-a-red-carpet-20171208-h01fml.html

The IOC have set a great precedent here: ban the country but allow any individuals who can prove they are legitimate to continue to compete.

The AFL should have done that with the Scum: it would have been so funny to see 9 Essendon players running out to start the game!

;)

Hmmm...it might have nothing to do with anything on the drug scandal, but it's still dodgy Essendon, so I'll put it here

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/vi...n/news-story/c76f9179bb9c6b4c0254783123e1feaa

EXCLUSIVE — ESSENDON great Mark ‘Bomber’ Thompson has had his home raided as part of a wideranging Victoria Police investigation.
Police successfully executed a search warrant for the AFL great’s property in Port Melbourne on Friday, foxsports.com.au can reveal.

It’s believed police spent several hours at Thompson’s home, from 9.30am stretching into the afternoon.

Victoria Police confirmed to foxsports.com.au they searched a property owned by a 54-year-old man on Friday January 5. It’s understood that man is Bombers’ premiership captain Thompson.

Officials would not reveal what the purpose of their search was.

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hmmm...it might have nothing to do with anything on the drug scandal, but it's still dodgy Essendon, so I'll put it here

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/vi...n/news-story/c76f9179bb9c6b4c0254783123e1feaa

EXCLUSIVE — ESSENDON great Mark ‘Bomber’ Thompson has had his home raided as part of a wideranging Victoria Police investigation.
Police successfully executed a search warrant for the AFL great’s property in Port Melbourne on Friday, foxsports.com.au can reveal.

It’s believed police spent several hours at Thompson’s home, from 9.30am stretching into the afternoon.

Victoria Police confirmed to foxsports.com.au they searched a property owned by a 54-year-old man on Friday January 5. It’s understood that man is Bombers’ premiership captain Thompson.

Officials would not reveal what the purpose of their search was.

Unfortunately found nothing.

How sweet it would be if this scandal took off again just as Essendon were getting there s**t together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back