AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
I watched On The Couch for the first time in about 7 years last night

Riewoldt used the word "attitudal"

Thats not a word you albino.

Related observation.
The reason footy players were and are generally known as 'boof-heads' comes from the fact that the majority of them up until recent times had barely finished high school..!
Accordingly most were and remain fortunate with the opportunity of a post-playing career in the footy media, but unlike the past where individual personalities were apparent (sure, some were boring/condescending etc.) - today we now see predominately producer coached style and presentations which understandably our modern boof-heads struggle to deliver without sounding contrived and disingenuous...

Nick Riewoldt is probably the best current example of this, as most weeks his opening comments in whatever show he is on usually include; "Wow, have we just witnessed possibly the greatest round of footy ever..!" This and similar over-the-top statements deployed simply to create further discussion have become the norm for him and his fellow boof-heads on most footy shows and let's not even mention some of them being portrayed and encouraged to be 'comedians'..?

It's also no secret that aside from their popularity as former players, the main underlying factor and reason broadcasters employ these boof-heads is they are cheap, actually compared to hiring qualified career TV presenters or journalists, they are dirt cheap..!

Having said this and at the risk of repeating myself - most BF posters are simply not in anyway part of Fox Footy's pursuit in capturing a 'wider and broader' audience - because most of us would still watch the footy every week if the players were on roller-skates kicking a beach ball around...

Last edited:

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
How did we get half of On the Couch dedicated to a teams coach who doesn't play another game...?

We have to hear about all the terrible teams all year. From here on it should be finals related only basically.

Review yesterday's game and Friday night's game and that's it. Then onto the 4 finals.

360 is no better. Most of the show was taken up with more ad nauseum Essendon crap and coach interviews. I can't imagine being a supporter of clubs other than Geelong& Collingwood and giving even the slightest care to the same old drivel coaches blurt out for every interview.

There's a reason they get 2 standalone press conferences a week. It's so the fans and media get to hear what they have to say. There's no need to hear the same crap regurgitated again on Fox footy midweek.

/Rant

For a club that has achieved nothing for 20 years it's staggering the column inches and TV/radio airtime is devoted to Essendon. Yeah, they have a truckload of members and supporters, but if they had been North or the Dogs they would now be labelled 'irrelevant'.

On the Couch. Lyon (for all his faults) offers decent analysis, Riewoldt is very vanilla (and not just in appearance) and seems to parrot other experts, Brown I can never take seriously even if he did make a half decent point because of the up country, ute drivin', B&S Ball accent.

parano1a

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Except that's not what happened, because Carlton v Collingwood was shown on 503, not 504.
What actually happened is they had about one minute of studio-hosted post game from Garry Lyon then cut to a 30 minute pre-match show for an NRLW game, of all things.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
What actually happened is they had about one minute of studio-hosted post game from Garry Lyon then cut to a 30 minute pre-match show for an NRLW game, of all things.
Yup. The 3.20pm game normally gets shafted for golf replays at 6.05pm, so a live NRLW game is a refreshing yet unnecessary change. I swear those ch7 games they cover on fox footy are pointless. They do like 20min of studio coverage over 3 hours, and barely talk about the game.

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I actually blame the TV Show Friends. A bunch of mates sitting around on couches being cosy and having a laugh it was a smash it at the time! If you look at all these talk/panel shows that sit around on couches over the years talking sh!t and trying to be funny you can all trace it back to the mid 90's when Friends made it popular. Somehow TV producers after all these year still think it's an inviting and popular formula. frankly imo it's a tiresome easy and lazy production.

Could you be any more wrong ….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

footyontv

Draftee
Jul 29, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The 3.20pm Sunday game (which is a Ch7 game) is timed to run directly into Ch7's news. So at the end of the game the siren goes, Ch7 goes to news, and the game broadcast stops. Fox usually do a quick wrap-up, but with no further pictures or interviews being offered by the host broadcaster there's not much reason to stay on. Irrespective of who plays, and whether it's a 1 point thriller or a 50 point blow-out doesn't change the on-air window.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Agree the standard has dropped. AFL360 a prime offender. Agree with earlier posts that these days they start each show with the footy news of the day and give their take on it which I like, but then it's player interview, coach interview, rising start interview, where they all give the same bland vanilla answers every time. So I basically watch the first segment until the break before they bring in their guests, and then switch off.
They need to bring back Real or Over reaction.

What I'm finding lately is that I'm watching more and more podcasts because it's players with personalities chatting with other footy people and providing rare behind the scenes insights. Back Chat, Dyl & Friends, Old Bull Young Buck, Mason Cox, the list goes on. For those that haven't seen this, I highly recommend it. I didn't want it to stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vivy

Premium Platinum
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Why are Brown & Reiwoldt always yelling at me when I watch Fox footy now...

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Why are Brown & Reiwoldt always yelling at me when I watch Fox footy now...
someone needs to tell brown that they're all sitting next to each other and he doesnt have to yell all the time.

why he seems to be the golden boy of fox footy is beyond me. struggles to complete sentences and has a horrible voice. then you've got nick with the lisp also shouting. good telly.

Section226

All Australian
May 21, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Of course, the flogs at FoxFooty instead of staying with the Ch7 broadcast with the atmosphere and interviews after an amazing game, have chosen to cut the feed and go to Best on Ground.

Absolute bunch of dic*heads of the highest order.

By gosh I hope they lose the broadcasting rights.

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Of course, the flogs at FoxFooty instead of staying with the Ch7 broadcast with the atmosphere and interviews after an amazing game, have chosen to cut the feed and go to Best on Ground.

Absolute bunch of dic*heads of the highest order.

By gosh I hope they lose the broadcasting rights.
Maybe Fox Footy is contractually required to cut away? Channel 7 would like to have a point of difference so that people watch their channel.

Will be interesting to see whoever gets the broadcast rights what type of product exists.

Section226

All Australian
May 21, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Maybe Fox Footy is contractually required to cut away? Channel 7 would like to have a point of difference so that people watch their channel.
FoxFooty do it regularly irrespective of whether the game is produced by them or Ch7 across the weekend.

They always seem in a massive rush to drop the broadcast and get to Bounce and Best on Ground.

Damned if I know why.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
I dont care about post game, pre game etc. Its so cringe, i just watch the games. Whoever gets the rights just has to fix the commentary, not sure how much longer i can put up with the current standards
Same here, I honestly can't recall the last time I watched the opening bounce for a regular Friday night match, sometimes due to other commitments but usually to avoid watching any of the hour long pre-match mostly excessive analysis waffle, in-between constant advertising and gambling promotions..!
And when the match is done, the TV is off if I'm at home and obviously no-one watches anything beyond the match at the pub.

Each to their own - but why should it take more than 10 minutes simply announcing the team line-ups, their recent history or form, the weather forecast, expected crowd, the pundits tips and if this is a milestone game for a player..?

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Same here, I honestly can't recall the last time I watched the opening bounce for a regular Friday night match, sometimes due to other commitments but usually to avoid watching any of the hour long pre-match mostly excessive analysis waffle, in-between constant advertising and gambling promotions..!
And when the match is done, the TV is off if I'm at home and obviously no-one watches anything beyond the match at the pub.

Each to their own - but why should it take more than 10 minutes simply announcing the team line-ups, their recent history or form, the weather forecast, expected crowd, the pundits tips and if this is a milestone game for a player..?
This probably won't be a popular comment, but the pre- and post-game coverage is much poorer this year without Eddie McGuire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back