The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

No GF marathon. What are they showing? Replays of the parade and Best on Ground. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

We crap on Ch7 but at least they are showing footy in the early hours of the morning. Replay of Geelong-Collingwood GF from 2011, and last weeks Geelong-Brisbane PF. Get the feeling they wanted a Geelong-Collingwood GF, or at the very least are pro-Geelong?

Should show 2020 GF.

I don’t understand why Fox Footy refused to use local commentators all year (besides Papalia and Pavlich usually being boundary rider), yet we come to the not as popular (I love it, but it isn’t as popular) AFLW, and now we get commentators at the ground in Perth.

Do they really think the football public is craving the same blokes multiple times a eek?

Section226

All Australian
May 21, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Watching the Parade and having worked in the media for a couple of decades reminds me of the rule, "Never work with children or animals".

Shoving a mic in front of a kid rarely works and makes you look a git.

And Brad "how do you feel" Johnson should be banned from interviewing.

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
FF programming department absolutely knocking it out the park in the Grand Final eve and traditional Footy Marathon timeslots.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Last edited:

Section226

All Australian
May 21, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
FF programming department absolutely knocking it out the park in the Grand Final eve and traditional Footy Marathon timeslots.
The epitome of laziness.

Everything is now digital so going through the library and scheduling any program / game would be as easy as a Google search.

Can't understand Fox's modus operandi.

More eyes watching throughout the day with better programming = justification for higher ad revenue.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Expected some sort of GF Marathon on Fox then looked at the guide and reminded myself this is 2022 Fox not 2002-06 Fox. The Fox that thinks Best on Ground and Bounce are actually worthy of one replay and another one and then another.

As for 7, p*** poor effort again. You've got 60 odd years of your own archives, hell, I would've even watched the 77 or 84 GFs for the millionth time, but no, don't go to any effort.

We're treated so shabbily when it comes to sports broadcasting in this country, it's actually going backwards.

Last edited:

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I don’t understand why Fox Footy refused to use local commentators all year (besides Papalia and Pavlich usually being boundary rider), yet we come to the not as popular (I love it, but it isn’t as popular) AFLW, and now we get commentators at the ground in Perth.

Do they really think the football public is craving the same blokes multiple times a eek?
The current crop of contracts (back in 2016) these guys were signed on were written pre-covid when everyone was based in Melbourne and the status-quo was fly in fly out for games. There was no guarantee that a fox game would be played in any state except VIC on any given weekend.

From 2025, fox will do all 9 games, so they can sign people on for 22 WA games, 22 SA games etc (just as SEN, Triple M, ABC do for radio). No more need for FIFO. Hopefully will lead to a bit of a clear out and restructure of who they use.

Ch7 will keep doing FIFO, because covering 3 games a week (with at least 2 of them probably being in VIC) makes them more flexible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
BEST ON GROUND!
Best ooon ground!
BEST ON GROUND!
Best ooon ground!
BEST ON GROUND!
Best ooon ground!
BEST ON GROUND!
Best ooon ground!
BEST ON GROUND!
Best ooon ground!
BEST ON GROUND!
Best ooon ground!

barney GIF
Very very poor show. Agree. Straddles bn trying to be serious and trying to be light hearted and does neither very well.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
I switched on FoxFooty and I was hooked!!!

Eat sleep FoxFooty repeat.
Eat sleep FoxFooty repeat......

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
They just aired episode 1 of AFL Trading Day live at 5pm, now they’re replaying the same episode every 30 mins straight until 10pm o_O

They just aired episode 1 of AFL Trading Day live at 5pm, now they’re replaying the same episode every 30 mins straight until 10pm o_O

You can be sure the beancounters would would have the numbers ($s) this morning to judge the decision.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray

So many hot takes, so many assumptions, so many guesses, so much punditry....all in one night. Over and over and over...

img GIF

YouBeauty

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2004
Bottomless Pit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just watching Optus Sport's Matchday Live Extra (English Premier League) - simple, but pure class.

What did Australians do to deserve to be subjected to post-game programs like Best on Ground and Bounce? Embarrassing.
I crave that, simple and classy.
Instead we get the forward line mafia in their skin tight jeans and rm Williams boots talking absolute crap.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
Just watching Optus Sport's Matchday Live Extra (English Premier League) - simple, but pure class.

What did Australians do to deserve to be subjected to post-game programs like Best on Ground and Bounce? Embarrassing.

For someone that's not even that invested in soccer, I will always watch the one hour highlights package. As you note, it's simple, they show all the good bits and you get a sense of what important things happened in the round. Foxfooty used to have something similar but it's gone the way of the dodo.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
For someone that's not even that invested in soccer, I will always watch the one hour highlights package. As you note, it's simple, they show all the good bits and you get a sense of what important things happened in the round. Foxfooty used to have something similar but it's gone the way of the dodo.
Which is weird. Because it is easily the best way of attracting / converting people to the code and a great review of a round for rusted ons that can't watch every game! Bit like the old days of the ABC's The Winners.
I'm just not sure there is a whole lot of common sense with programming these days but simply look for ways of putting blokes who are part of the boys club to get their heads on tv...

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast

That style of football show is okay if you have genuinely funny people on it. Frawley before his passing was good with Dunstall bc they could play off each other. Cam Mooney is appalling and still isn't the worst...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back