The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Show ideas:

• Supercoach/Fantasy show (someone suggested in thread already and I like it)
Needs to be done. AFL Fantasy is an actual AFL product so even if they don't do Supercoach how about promoting actual items from the AFL website. It's almost like the AFL website and Fox Footy are competing against themselves....

AFL - you can dictate what is on both platforms.
  • Draft prospects Show - Who are next years draftee's, how did they go on the weekend, weekly interviews etc.
Add in a wrap up of the TAC Cup, WAFL Colts, SANFL prospects etc. to help pad out the actual show. Would be perfect.
  • Women's AFL Weekly Show
Surprised this isn't done already and that the AFL haven't dictated one. This is also content for the summer.
  • Club Watch - A show where every club has the opportunity to be covered and not just the ones at the top of the ladder
If this is done right (not just a regurgitation of the puff-pieces on the websites) this could be excellent. Would probably rely heavily upon the clubs themselves though as spreading resources across 18 different shows may be tough. Actual match analysis from Richmond games is something I heavily rely on podcasts for and there is no reason why this couldn't be done for 18 clubs. Timeslots may also be an issue. need to find 9 hours each week that isn't lost at midnight. Supporters won't stand for their club show being on at 1am while other teams are at 8pm.
  • State League Updates - VFL/SANFL/WAFL (Could be 3 individual shows)
As important as the draft show seeing as we now have a mid-season draft. Also highlight potential mature-aged rookies.
  • Umpiring Weekly - Majority don't like them but in order for the game to grow we need them and having a better insight into what they do is only good for encouraging people to pick up the profession
Whateley has Ray Chamberlain on once per week on SEN. Seems a waste to me. Put that show onto TV so people can see clips and hear discussion of decisions made. The important part here is to hear what they got wrong as we know right now they get everything right.
  • Injury Show - Weekly updates on what's happening with all the clubs injuries (could be included with the club watch show)
  • Training and Fitness show - Skills, Fitness etc.
Not sure if there is benefit to this but it may appeal to some. You're probably right that it could be done as a segment on the club show.
  • Podcast/talk shows - There are so many, so many AFL Podcasters who are really good and would easily fit into there
Club shows would be great by the podcasters but I feel what makes the podcasts great is the lack of oversight by Fox Sports and/or the AFL. Leaving them independent would probably be best.
  • Local football heroes - go around local leagues, little leagues and see all the good work that is being done.
Here is your Saturday/Sunday morning content wrapped up right here.
There is so much content that the AFL/Fox Footy could produce and half of it would just need a go pro and some mics. Not every host has to be some ex-AFL meat head, let's diversify and promote the game and give the fans more content. The ultimate goal for any channel is to produce shows to get people to watch right? more people watching = more ads = more revenue. Right now they are so thin on any decent content and there is a massive hole they can fill.

Anyway there is some ideas, so if you're reading this upper management, you're welcome.
It's been said before and it'll be said again - be less friendly with eachother. We all know the Riewoldt's are cousins - stop comparing the two. Individually I like both but together currently they are unbearable.

Sack Mark Robinson immediately. Last year when he got crook made for much better content on AFL 360. The new AFL 360 Extra I think will eventually work well once the three hosts work out their roles but I like the familiarity of Kath Laughlin each week with a semi-rotated roster next to her.

As others have said; AFL 360 is stale. The coaches can't say too much, the players can't say too much, their opinions are always the same and almost seem partisan. Unless there is a Richmond player/coach on I won't watch Monday or Tuesday past the first segment. Wednesday is better with the ex-players.

I may be in the minority but I do think they need a Footy Show-esque program but they need a different cast. Look at what made the footy show great and update it. Even the Channel 10 offerings were worthy. Bounce could be that but it needs a refresh.

At the opposite end of the scale, if budgets are tight stop trying to do everything and focus on the core elements - showing the actual games and analysis.

I miss the old Fox Footy also. I was a sub when Clinton Grybas hosted White Line Fever, great show.
I reckon White Line Fever would work as a replacement for Best on Ground, after a full days of games on Saturday.
Trouble is I don't think there is anyone there talented enough to host it.

Would the fact you're not paying extra today for Fox Footy affect the quality of programming. Originally when Fox Footy was created you had to pay extra for it, consequently the service provided needed to have an element of quality attached.

Also what has happened to the huge supply of games which should be on file from VFL, SANFL, WAFL & AFL. Who has rights to those because I'm sure there would be plenty of games people would like to watch from days gone by.

It's chicken and egg. More quality programming equals more subscribers on top of the die hards who will keep signing up for the live games. This all comes back to the lazy approach now - lazy by calling in studio, lazy 'comedy', lazy in terms of innovation, variety of guests and commentators and quality programming, just lazy all around.

Apart from my teams live games I don't watch any of it during the week when early days I would be glued to it all week.

I can't believe it but AFL website has some decent content yet Fox with all it's resources can't produce something different.

Watching this now and it's really good.

In 2007 they had the crowd only noise setting, so the coverage was more advanced back then vs today.
Footy Active was awesome! Amazing they can’t put that feature into Kayo today with better technology. Closest they’ve got to that in recent times, they had that locked behind the goal cam for a few Marvel games

Fox Footy just emphasised the thoughts that their focus is entertainment rather than the game....

Nth Melb v GWS:

Ch7 (Mate) stayed with the broadcast until the end of the club song at roughly 6.03pm - so instead of cutting to the next program on the hour, they stayed until the 'end'.

Good ole Fox Footy? Straight after the last interview on the ground, they cut to Bounce. i.e. about 4-5 minutes before the club song.

PATHETIC.

And now Bounce is promoting some boxing bout that involves Cameron Mooney. Nothing about Footy.

Fox Footy needs a bloody broom through it starting from the top.

Last edited:
It just reminds me of how I hate that there's no proper review of the round on Sundays, only that imbecilic pile of crap that they cut away from the last game for.
first crack does a decent enough job of it, but would surely have * all people watching it seeing it's relegated behind bloody bounce

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And again, Fox Footy appears to have chosen to have commentators call off the TV for the Port Adelaide v Sydney game starting in a couple of minutes, judging by the use of the 'green screen' in the pre-match discussion.

Fox Footy continues to treat its subscribers with disdain.

There are no excuses to have commentators calling a game remotely now.

And again, Fox Footy appears to have chosen to have commentators call off the TV for the Port Adelaide v Sydney game starting in a couple of minutes, judging by the use of the 'green screen' in the pre-match discussion.

Fox Footy continues to treat its subscribers with disdain.

There are no excuses to have commentators calling a game remotely now.

Totally agree.
Was a clear as anything that was the case today, Derrrrwayne making up fictional punch ons behind play and then guessing umpire decisions from a whistle but not visible umpire.

Before the game tonight (Giants / Dogs in Sydney), I saw Darcy, Carey and Bolton do a piece to camera.

So Ch7 is able to send their commentary team interstate, yet Fox Footy couldn't give a crap, instead having their commentators call off the tv screen for today's Port / Sydney game in Adelaide.

Must be saving Fox Footy a mint in airfares and accommodation but their calling of the game now is utter garbage.

Fox Footy's mindset reminds me of Ch 9 in their closing years broadcasting the cricket

When they first got the rights, it was considered a revolution in the way the sports was covered. But they became increasingly complacent as the years passed with the commentary being increasingly self-absorbed and insufferable.

It was almost as if they felt entitled to the rights and felt covering the game was a bit of a chore.

Ch 9 did lose the rights and Fox prob deserve to lose the rights for their continual commentating from the studio alone. Doubt the AFL would take such leap though.

Cannot stand anything in the studio before or during a game. They will cross straight to the panel 2seconds after a qtr ends. They've even been in the panel talking when the game has started. This happens on the Ch7 games that they air. s**t house.
I don't have a problem with this, all we're missing out on is hearing more of the Ch 7 numpties who will be dribbling in our ears for the next few hours.

Good on ya Bounce.

7pm, kids in the live audience and a Top 5 of AFL players in the boxing ring - all resulting in TKOs or KOs.

Fox Footy - you're a bunch of f*wits.

Who the heck has oversight on this channel's content?

AFL - you can dictate what is on both platforms.

You can do whatever you like if you are prepared to pay for it.
This is a contractual relationship & $s do the talking ... for $nothing you get just that.

The current deals for both the AFL & NRL include $ millions in contras, i.e not cash - the more the AFL want to dictate programming, the less the cash they get.

You can do whatever you like if you are prepared to pay for it.
This is a contractual relationship & $s do the talking ... for $nothing you get just that.

The current deals for both the AFL & NRL include $ millions in contras, i.e not cash - the more the AFL want to dictate programming, the less the cash they get.
Yeah, poor wording. Probably should have said to use some of the contra to get a few more relevant shows. Dictate/negotiate with contra.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back