The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kath Loughnan is getting utilised too much as host now. Sara Jones is barely seen at all anymore, maybe once a weekend.

It's the same commentators in the studio, Brown, N.R, Betts etc all the time.

Really glad I only get Foxfooty through Kayo these days.

I'm gonna throw in another thing that is probably going to annoy you all now, so I apologise in advance.

The amount of times they put the headshot up of a commentator is taking the piss.

Yesterday I marked it down for the Bulldogs v Freo game that with 19:10 left in the first quarter, the mugs of Russell, Dunstall, Lyon and Mooney were shown. Fair enough, first time for the game, makes sense.

At 18:49 left in the first quarter, a singular mug shot of Garry Lyon - complete with subtitle telling us he was in the Team of the Century for Melbourne was shown.

At 17:18, Dunstall got his one.

The producers clearly think that the commentators are the talent, and why people watch, not for the actual action on field. It is straight out of the Brad McNamara school of thinking.

I’m a fox footy junky because I like watching chat about the game and so forth.

But holy s**t it is cringeworthy at the moment.

I’m watching first crack at the moment and David King is just loathsome with his analysis.
He’s talking about this ‘amazing Sydney defence’ because when the ball goes left, all the defenders drift left. When the ball is in the middle, they stay in the middle.

Oh wow how amazing. You see that in fifth grade soccer ffs. How does that qualify as analysis.

His appraisal of the Pies - look here, this is fantastic, Melbourne have one on 5 there - shows footage of a Melbourne player with 5 pies players kind of in the area.

F***en wow, midfielders getting near the ball.

Then he follows up with ‘look at Melbourne’s numbers AT CLEARANCE’ (* I hate how he says phrases like that). They could have been 8 goals up at half time but if Collingwood can break even they are in the game.’

I literally posted this twice on this forum today- it’s not analysis, it’s what anyone with a modicum of common sense can see.

Football is 22 guys playing for 18 teams who all have the same rough sort of approach with little tweaks across the teams depending on the physical attributes they have at their disposal and that’s that. Coaches move magnets and pick match ups they think will work, and they have a basic ethos they try and instill in their teams to stick with and then it comes down to execution and who can do it best and most often.

That’s it

This insistence on digging deeper is absolutely f***ing awful and it makes the diatribe of someone like Robbo actually refreshing because it’s a basic view of the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m watching first crack at the moment and David King is just loathsome with his analysis.
He’s talking about this ‘amazing Sydney defence’ because when the ball goes left, all the defenders drift left. When the ball is in the middle, they stay in the middle.

Oh wow how amazing. You see that in fifth grade soccer ffs. How does that qualify as analysis.

His appraisal of the Pies - look here, this is fantastic, Melbourne have one on 5 there - shows footage of a Melbourne player with 5 pies players kind of in the area.

Then he follows up with ‘look at Melbourne’s numbers AT CLEARANCE’ (* I hate how he says phrases like that). They could have been 8 goals up at half time but if Collingwood can break even they are in the game.’

I literally posted this twice on this forum today- it’s not analysis, it’s what anyone with a modicum of common sense can see.

Football is 22 guys playing for 18 teams who all have the same rough sort of approach with little tweaks across the teams depending on the physical attributes they have at their disposal and that’s that. Coaches move magnets and pick match ups they think will work, and they have a basic ethos they try and instill in their teams to stick with and then it comes down to execution and who can do it best and most often.

That’s it

This insistence on digging deeper is absolutely f***ing awful and it makes the diatribe of someone like Robbo actually refreshing because it’s a basic view of the game

You make good points especially about moving magnets and execution.

With so many in media they all clambering to be different or find something snazzy or zany to say.

If teams winning pull out some stat. If teams losing pull out another stat. Every
Weeks different.

That’s it

King obsession with Champion Data and all the stats borders on the deranged. Takes the fun out of the game.

Makes you pine for the 90s when Channel 7 coverage would flash up the total kicks, marks, handballs, inside 50s as stats in the post-game wrap and that was it. Simple and not the mind numbing detail or the 'lab' (remember that?) we have today.

Haha I don't mind King. I understand the complaints but I enjoy listening to him. Better than player and coach interviews. Appreciate he actually preps for his shows and attempts to provide some value. It doesn't have to be spot on all time but you can tell he enjoys it.

I just remember the whole Premiership Quadrant from late 2016 which had the Dogs way way off the radar. Fair to say I haven't seen it since.

It's only one example and there are plenty where stats are useful, but it just reminded me that footy is played on the park not on paper and some things you can't measure.

It was genuinely good a few years back, but it's become a bit tired and played out.

I don't mind the formats of the weeknight shows, but they need new blood in a lot of them.

Just replacing Robbo with Dunstall as they did last year on 360 would improve it heaps, for instance. OTC could do without three former key forwards. Get some diversity around perspectives. Don't love the next generation of players-turned-commentators either. Guys like Joey and Danger don't do much for me.

King obsession with Champion Data and all the stats borders on the deranged. Takes the fun out of the game.

Makes you pine for the 90s when Channel 7 coverage would flash up the total kicks, marks, handballs, inside 50s as stats in the post-game wrap and that was it. Simple and not the mind numbing detail or the 'lab' (remember that?) we have today.

The best of times haha

Haha I don't mind King. I understand the complaints but I enjoy listening to him. Better than player and coach interviews. Appreciate he actually preps for his shows and attempts to provide some value. It doesn't have to be spot on all time but you can tell he enjoys it.

yeah king is ok, away from stats.

Agree that the overuse of stats is mind-numbing.

I reckon a lot of the stats can come down to coincidence, rather than a deliberate coaching tactic.

valid point. we gotta win contested ball, and we win!!!!
next week lose contested ball and lose.
but but but see (insert other stat here), that allowed them to win

I love how the commentators always quote the teams 'pressharr rating' however don't actually educate the audience as to what it means.
'x team had a pressure rating of above 200 for that quarter' - I have no idea what this even means and not convinced the commentator does either.

d king once explained it as (words to effect) - measures how much pressure they put on the opponent, like corralling.....

I love how the commentators always quote the teams 'pressharr rating' however don't actually educate the audience as to what it means.
'x team had a pressure rating of above 200 for that quarter' - I have no idea what this even means and not convinced the commentator does either.
I think from memory, that 150 is average so 200+ must be off the charts. But how they get to such a number, I have no earthly idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back