AFLW The Draft - 1.15pm 12/10, live on AFL.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Just curious - I know a lot of good women's AFL players who would probably love to play and are close to the level required - why are the teams selecting random women from other sports (I.e. 37 year old ex basketballer) before people who are passionate about footy?

I haven't read the thread and I apologise if it's been answered it just doesn't make much sense.

Just curious - I know a lot of good women's AFL players who would probably love to play and are close to the level required - why are the teams selecting random women from other sports (I.e. 37 year old ex basketballer) before people who are passionate about footy?

I haven't read the thread and I apologise if it's been answered it just doesn't make much sense.

As an inducement to switch Sports, the AFL created 2 rookie spots per team. These players couldn't have played footy for I think, 3 years prior to June this year.

So clubs have been targeting either, very good athletes with competitive instincts and proven elite 'behaviours', or women with skills in footy, but who just haven't played for 3 years.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

As an inducement to switch Sports, the AFL created 2 rookie spots per team. These players couldn't have played footy for I think, 3 years prior to June this year.

So clubs have been targeting either, very good athletes with competitive instincts and proven elite 'behaviours', or women with skills in footy, but who just haven't played for 3 years.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Its also worth noting that quite a few, if not most, of these rookies took up playing footy immediately after the June deadline passed. At least one played in Darebins premiership side this year.

I think its also partly to do with bringing in high performance athletes from other sports/codes to make up for the present dearth in high performance/quality athletes in the womens game at the moment.

Its also worth noting that quite a few, if not most, of these rookies took up playing footy immediately after the June deadline passed. At least one played in Darebins premiership side this year.

I think its also partly to do with bringing in high performance athletes from other sports/codes to make up for the present dearth in high performance/quality athletes in the womens game at the moment.
Two did - Nat Exon at Carlton and Libby Birch at the Bulldogs. Both Darebin flag winners this year picking it up in June.

And many of these girls actually grew up in footy families and had plenty of exposure to footy even if they focused on other sports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back