The draft is overrated!

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the best opening post I've read on BigFooty in a long time.

The reality is the draft IS a lottery, the draft does NOT even out the competition in reality, the NBA has a draft yet the same two teams have played off in their equivalent of the Grand Final four years in a row. The AFL has a draft yet Carlton haven't made a prelim since 2000, Suns have never made finals, Essendon haven't won a final since 2004 and we haven't made finals since 2009, plus two teams have threepeated since 2001 and Geelong did a 3 in 5. The NRL does NOT have a draft yet every team has made a prelim in the past decade, no team has gone back-to-back in the NRL era and have had 12 different premiers since 2001, in comparison the NFL which has a draft has had 10 different Superbowl winners and the AFL has had 9.

What creates an even competition is a proper salary cap. The NRL has that and complete free agency for any player out of contract. For all the things the NRL * up administratively, the one thing it gets right is having a competition that is genuinely level playing field

Won

and Richmond have been more successful than Geelong over it's entire history s**t Richmond gave Geelong a 11 year headstart but Richmond have still been more successful and it will be a long time before Geelong even make finals again while Richmond we still be contending

"It will be a long time before Geelong make finals again".

Funny, since we have been making finals every year bar 2015, for 11 of the past 12 years.

And now it will all end, anyway Geelong have been embarrassing themselves in finals 2012

Richmond may have stuffed their winning gameplan getting a second tall forward in Tom Lynch coming in.

I hope it blows up in their face, so that Richmond can go back down the ladder where they belong, and we can all point and laugh at them again.

Are you getting splinters sitting on the Richmond bandwagon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond may have stuffed their winning gameplan getting a second tall forward in Tom Lynch coming in.

I hope it blows up in their face, so that Richmond can go back down the ladder where they belong, and we can all point and laugh at them again.

Are you getting splinters sitting on the Richmond bandwagon?
You call me a bandwagoner yet your name is catters070911 lol, I bet you didn't even follow Geelong before 2007

You call me a bandwagoner yet your name is catters070911 lol, I bet you didn't even follow Geelong before 2007

Actually I started following Geelong at the start of 1989, after I had moved down from Queensland.

I went though the years we lost the four Grand Finals, and was wrapped when we won the one in 2007, let alone in 2009 and 2011 as well.

I put those three numbers in my name because they are our recent premierships.

Actually I started following Geelong at the start of 1989, after I had moved down from Queensland.

I went though the years we lost the four Grand Finals, and was wrapped when we won the one in 2007, let alone in 2009 and 2011 as well.

I put those three numbers in my name because they are our recent premierships.
Typical you started the year Geelong made their first grand final for 22 years

People who frequent Big Footy are naturally among the more passionate and opinionated footy observers and how many draft picks would they know by name? Maybe a handful? How many would we have strong opinions on? Probably none.

Lack of knowledge doesn't seem to preclude holding strong opinions on here. Always amusing watching all the melts every time a player no one has ever seen play gets picked over another player no one has ever seen play.

95% or more of the players drafted will be playing state league until they are good enough to play AFL. There will be a few exceptions.

Remove the draft age and just change the ruling that you cannot be drafted until you have played 25 league games of state league footy.

95% or more of the players drafted will be playing state league until they are good enough to play AFL. There will be a few exceptions.

Remove the draft age and just change the ruling that you cannot be drafted until you have played 25 league games of state league footy.

+ players having to work / study for a year or two wouldn’t do them or the competition any harm.

Does not matter if the top 10 go on to become the next Fyfe.

The top players all come through the draft and does not matter if they are top 10 pick or pick 80, they are the players that make our game great and draft night is critical to clubs and players alike .
Always an important evening which should never be underrrated.

You sound high

The draft is overrated? Debatable but peoples opinion varies.

The draft can be unpredictable.

Just Look at Freos 2009 draft. Anthony Morabito gets taken at pick 4 and his career is wrecked by injury. Fyfe gets taken at pick 20 and he wins a Brownlow

I hear a lot from commentators and the footy media about how exciting it is to have new potential superstars come through the draft. A lot in the footy industry try to get the best position so that they can draft kids, and every draftee is hyped as being a future superstar.

The sad reality is though, of the top ten drafted, not all of them will go onto being the next Nat Fyfe, Patrick Dangerfield or Dustin Martin.

Many will not live up to the term "superstar". Here's some reasons why many of these players won't be good as "hyped".

-Multiple injuries, concussions or mental breakdown.
-Some players find it a huge jump from junior footy, or even Under 18's to senior footy.
-Poor coaching, poor development etc.
-Homesickness.
-You might have a superstar, and they want to leave and play for someone else.
-They might not be a superstar in the traditional sense, but have other valuable attributes. They might be a ball magnet or be a brave player, but don't get the headlines that superstars get. He is a quiet achiever.
-A player who has been told how good he is all his footy history might get ahead of himself, and not put the work in, (think of a player like Jeff Hayward in "The Club").
-A player may be played in the wrong position, or in a position where he won't make the most of his potential.
-Too much weighting is put on their behaviour (Dan Hannebury and Jack Darling got overlooked for behavioural reasons, haven't acted up since, and have gone on to be really good players, and biting the backsides of some recruiters at other teams).

There are a whole number of reasons a player doesn't live up to the hype. So tonight, when you watch your team pick a player, just keep your emotions in check, and "wait and see". They have proven nothing yet, and the hype should be reserved for those who truly live up to it.
You honestly come across as a 12yo kid. Either you are or just extremely unintelligent.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

AFL draft age is WAY too young, and lacks the proper pathways to support those who go through physical (and/or mental) maturity later. I really don't think you can debate the point at all, just how the AFL deals with it.

If the draft age was 20, then all draftees have finished schooling, and either started a trade or uni. The elite will be in appropriate pathways and have individual coaching support anyway. Think how much more valuable pick #1 is when you are drafting a KPP who can play CHF from day 1, or a midfielder who has already proven elite ability against men (not just shown talent against other kids).

There needs to be a mechanism created to facilitate the drafting of more mature players - AFL should be the elite league - not a development league where clubs are playing sub-optimal teams in the guise of "Development". This would correspond to stronger support leagues and perhaps a reintroduction of the U/21 type development league.

My suggestion is to remove rookie list restrictions, have unlimited spaces, but a flat salary, paid outside the cap. Players are not eligible to play AFL, but will play "Reserves" (whether that be state league VFL/SANFL/WAFL/etc, or a new national reserves comp) and can be promoted to the senior list at any time. The "DRAFT" is for players not on a rookie list already.

Closer competition at the elite, a much greater pool of mature 'reserve' players who can step up if needed to cover injuries (or they themselves show to be better options), and more importantly the 'kids' can play in a more physical developmentally appropriate league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back