Strategy The DRAW and Pyke --- crazy, like a fox ...?

Remove this Banner Ad

But you also need to excuse Mr Essay, as he's got a case of fever delirium. That's kind of like a concussion, without the sling-tackle!
LOL, woke me up with a smile and a good laugh after another sweaty, restless, cough-cough-coughing non-sleep. Thanks.

It occurred to me later last night that Vhaluus had the opportunity to suggest that "there needs to be some sort of IQ test before people are allowed to create new threads" in the Mods' Feedback Thread of last month.
I bet they'd relish the opportunity to research the right kind of Test (there are several), send the Test out to BF members, then collate and compile the results, you know, having nothing better to do :rolleyes:.

It's such a practical and sensible suggestion, waddaya reckon Deaneus? ;)

At best pyke thought "lets see how they deal with this" before stepping in. The margin was slightly blown out after half time, it was always a 5-6 goal game.
Yes, at least until it became a 50-point game :eek:.
That's a huge deficit and means you'd have to score 9 goals straight or 8-3 (9 or 11 scoring shots) more than your opponent, who's been trampling you, on top of having scored only 3 goals yourself in more than a half of footy! It's a big, big ask and rarely achieved.
It'd be nice if Pyke thought what you suggested, trusting the players to lift.
I think the comeback will do wonders for their confidence, but not so much that it gets them cocky/complacent. It would have to lift team spirit and self-belief.
The Showdown is gonna be an interesting game, if only to show what the Crows have learned from Rounds 7-19. If the Crows are Premiership contenders, they should belt PA by 8+ goals, but I'd take any win.

Yes, at least until it became a 50-point game :eek:.
That's a huge deficit and means you'd have to score 9 goals straight or 8-3 (9 or 11 scoring shots) more than your opponent, who's been trampling you, on top of having scored only 3 goals yourself in more than a half of footy! It's a big, big ask and rarely achieved.
It'd be nice if Pyke thought what you suggested, trusting the players to lift.
I think the comeback will do wonders for their confidence, but not so much that it gets them cocky/complacent. It would have to lift team spirit and self-belief.
The Showdown is gonna be an interesting game, if only to show what the Crows have learned from Rounds 7-19. If the Crows are Premiership contenders, they should belt PA by 8+ goals, but I'd take any win.

We dropped 3 marks in the forward line and Collingwood scored 2 goals on the rebound from them. They kicked all their 30/70 goals in the first half as well so the 50 point margin was a little blown out compared to how the game was going. But yes, you still have to outscore your opponent by 8.3 to win!

After the Geelong game, I have 100% rock solid belief in this team. I always thought we would fight our way back in to the game and I felt we would steamroll them when Mackay kicked that gorgeous bending goal in the 3rd quarter as well. Maybe Pyke has that after Friday fortnight ago?

Again, at best he thought they needed to dig ourselves out of a hole by themselves, but he would never set up a 50 point "handicap".

1) After the Geelong game, I have 100% rock solid belief in this team.
2) I always thought we would fight our way back in to the game and I felt we would steamroll them when Mackay kicked that gorgeous bending goal in the 3rd quarter as well. Maybe Pyke has that after Friday fortnight ago?
3) Again, at best he thought they needed to dig ourselves out of a hole by themselves, but he would never set up a 50 point "handicap".

1) My level's at 90-95% --- they still have lairy lapses and overcook the fancy stuff too much.
2) Oddly enough, so did I, but not sure what you meant by "Maybe Pyke has that after Friday fortnight ago?" o_O
3) I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he did --- without thinking it'd blow out to! 50!! points!!! --- I reckon many of the better coaches would allow players to see the scoreboard consequences of their poor play (within limits) then say, "Right, let's fix this".
What the Crows have now that they didn't have earlier is adaptability, an ability to execute changes to play better. Also, while we're not kicking blow-out scores, our defence has tightened as well. Looks good.

1) My level's at 90-95% --- they still have lairy lapses and overcook the fancy stuff too much.
2) Oddly enough, so did I, but not sure what you meant by "Maybe Pyke has that after Friday fortnight ago?" o_O
3) I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he did --- without thinking it'd blow out to! 50!! points!!! --- I reckon many of the better coaches would allow players to see the scoreboard consequences of their poor play (within limits) then say, "Right, let's fix this".
What the Crows have now that they didn't have earlier is adaptability, an ability to execute changes to play better. Also, while we're not kicking blow-out scores, our defence has tightened as well. Looks good.

After the Geelong game, maybe Pyke has belief that this team can do anything like dig themselves out of an 8 goal hole or win a flag. I certainly do!

I've been thinking about that amazing draw all week.
The Jekyll-and-Hyde nature of the draw vs Collingwood didn't make sense on several levels. A team doesn't lose its ability to play well, then get it back after half-time.

Since Brisbane's dominance and the most recent era where Hawthorn flourished, I always felt uneasy playing one of those super-form teams (Geelong, Sydney too) even when we were 5 or 6 goals up because there was always the feeling that they had the belief and the ability to win a game from almost any position, which they often did eg Hawks in 2015.
That belief came from many comebacks, developed over 2 or 3 seasons after surging back from near-impossible situations, to win.

Has anyone been thinking that maybe just maybe, Pykey gave the boys "mixed messages" pre-match, enough to confuse them or get them out of position so that they'd be in a losing position at half-time?
I doubt that he would've wanted them to be 50 points down :eek: some minutes into the third quarter, but let's suppose he moved a few magnets, sent out better/different instructions and structures much closer to what he really wanted, then waited for a fightback which, if successful, would instill tremendous self-belief in the group.
There was in fact a double-fightback by the Crows, first after they were 50 points down, then later in the last when they were 22 points down after leading by 3.

I can't remember a time when a Crows team came back from 50 points down to snatch a tie (nearly a win) and the team now knows that if they are within 7 or 8 goals of the lead, they can still win the game.
A loss to Collingwood would've been the kick up the butt they needed to fire them up for the last 4 games, but a tie/win from a losing position would've been even better.
So, was it just an aberration, or a plan by Pyke to get the team behind then pull a few strings to see if they could fight their way out of it? ;)

P.S. I reckon a few tennis champions have used a similar tactic against weaker opposition, playing "safe" tennis to be 3-0 or 4-0 (or similar) down, then lift a notch to surge back and claim the set ie it gives them "practice" at fighting back from losing positions.
Navratilova did it, often, Serena Williams and Sampras too.
After training drills my ex-Squash coach used to give me a 7-0 lead in match play to push himself to beat me, which he did.

My squash coach could give me a 10-0 start and still beat me to 11!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We played like s**t in the first half and Collingwood are a very average footy side who lets us back into the game. Simple as that.

I seriously don't rate Collingwood. I see them as a bottom four side. If they got that kind of performance from Wells every week they would have won more games this season but we all know Wells won't play that kind of footy against any club but the Crows. :p

I don't see the Pies as an average side, they just lack a good coach and confidence. They can play some top tier footy but just don't do it consistently.

My squash coach could give me a 10-0 start and still beat me to 11!
:D
Yeah, I started with a 10-point handicap too. After 2 years I whittled it down to 7. About 163cms, he scuttled around the court like a wiry roach on a hotplate with intimidating fitness and speed. Retrieving from impossible positions, he played State League, while I was just a B-grader.

:D
Yeah, I started with a 10-point handicap too. After 2 years I whittled it down to 7. About 163cms, he scuttled around the court like a wiry roach on a hotplate with intimidating fitness and speed. Retrieving from impossible positions, he played State League, while I was just a B-grader.

Yeah my ex-coach (I can't play anymore due to a lack of functional ACL in knee) was a NZ champion. He is still about 360 odd on squash matrix which I assume would know of. I was a lowly 180 on average :-(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back