Toast The Dreamtime at the G might be postponed, but Shai Bolton reveals story behind Tigers’ special 10th Dreamtime guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Adelaide Strikers
Coronavirus might have put a stop to the scheduled Dreamtime at the G game, but that doesn’t mean the recognition won’t occur. Shai Bolton reveals the story behind the club’s 10th Dreamtime guernsey.

There’s “artist nan” and “storyteller nan”.
And with the guiding hand of Richmond premiership player Shai Bolton and his mum Kylie, they’re the force behind the Tigers’ 10th Dreamtime guernsey.

Beverley Pickett still sends Bolton her artwork from her Ballajura home to Melbourne for him to hang at his place, so proved a natural choice to develop this year’s edition.

Lynley Pickett, Bolton’s maternal grandmother, developed the story behind the design, which tells the story of the club’s recent on-field success.

Dreaming, connection, gathering, strength and determination are key themes, Bolton said, along with what he was adamant would be the primary focus — mateship and team.

“I didn’t really want to just make it all about me,” he said.

“I’m not the only one out there playing — there’s other boys there and other boys that have gone through the journey, as well. I just wanted to put everyone on there, their names and their Aboriginal names … to show that we’re always ‘one’.”

1589932446173.png

The circle on the sash of the front of the jumper represents Richmond, and the footprints symbolic of the club’s six indigenous players — Bolton, Shane Edwards, Sydney Stack, Marlion Pickett, Daniel Rioli and Derek Eggmolesse-Smith — making their journey to the club.

The back, featuring a tribal warrior symbolising the club’s recent premierships, represents Bolton and Noongar Dreaming.

Bolton, 21, only saw the final jumper for the first time three days ago and said his entire family was “thrilled” with the result.

“I can’t paint as good as my nan Bev — nowhere near as good as them,” Bolton laughed.

“She helped me out a lot, and all of my family did. I put a lot of ideas about what I wanted on the jumper, and they just worked around me and helped me out on it, so it was good.

“They were thrilled as well. It was unbelievable, what they’ve done for me.

“Nan Lyn has pretty much lived with us since I was little.

1589932491211.png

“She’s always been around, so she was a big influence on me and has pretty much been at nearly every match, so has my mum. My nan Bev, is my grandfather’s brother’s wife. I always used to go to her house and to this day, she sends me paintings over so I can hang them up in my house and stuff. They’ve been big parts of my football as well.”

He’s even converted Lynley, who lives in Mandurah — where Bolton spent the football hiatus — ever so slightly from her beloved Eagles to the Tigers.

The club is committed to honouring the Dreamtime game — which would have been this Saturday night — when it meets Essendon in the readjusted fixture, whenever that may be.

“(The game is about) celebrating what we’ve done and how far we’ve come,” Bolton said.

“It’s just a great game that means a lot.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back