The Drones - Havilah

Remove this Banner Ad

deledio7

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah.
AFL Club
Richmond
It definitely resonates with me. I feel almost priviledged that I am afforded the connection with this band.

It all sounds so dramatic but they are just that special!

"Henry Ford" is my favourite Drones track. Seriously under appreciated.

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
So who got tickets for their upcoming tour? I've never been so excited for a gig.

Got tickets for the Perth show. :thumbsu:

I've only got into this band the past year or so and HOLE-EY s**t I never knew what I was missing out on!! So looking forward to seeing them live.

Matching Mole

Cancelled
May 24, 2005
Gala Mill
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Village Green Preservation Society
Well, picked up the new DVD "A Thousand Mistakes" last night. Have played a few tracks from the second disc - esp. the State Theatre performance of "River of Tears" from the Kev Carmody tribute night, which has and will always be astonishing - and a whole bunch from the first disc, which covers both the warehouse set at Fairfield and a gig at the East Brunswick Club. The warehouse set stuff is magnificent - intimate, beautifully textured, Gareth in fine voice. No bullshit or banter or fakery - just the patience and communion between musicians. The versions of "Sixteen Straws", "The Drifting Housewife" and "Locust" from this set are knockouts. Only watched one track from the East Brunswick Club gig so far ("The Minotaur") but it's wonderful too - Noga's thrashing away at the end of the song is a thing to behold.

It isn't a new record, but it'll more than do for now.

Bring on Friday night!

deledio7

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah.
AFL Club
Richmond
Unreal. I noticed a third show was announced for Wednesday so I bought a ticket for that gig as well. I can't get enough of this band.

Matching Mole

Cancelled
May 24, 2005
Gala Mill
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Last I heard another solo record was more likely than a new Drones record. Liddiard said he was too busy building a pizza oven, though that was probably some misdirection.

http://www.messandnoise.com/news/4338072

But I miss them too. Here's some sincere hyperbole for you: all modern music pales in comparison to The Drones.

mansize rooster

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2004
Here There and Everywhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangas
well... all modern Australian music!
hmmm i don't really want another Liddiard Solo tbh.
ST was a good album and all but it would just put of another drones album for another few years!

mansize rooster

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangas
something to look forward to before then..
http://messandnoise.com/news/4524299

It’s the Aus rock “supergroup” that just had to happen: former Beasts of Bourbon bandmates Spencer P Jones and James Baker have teamed up with The Drones’ Fiona Kitschin and Gareth Liddiard on a new album.
Titled Spencer P Jones and the Nothing Butts it’ll be out through Shock Records on November 9, with a single and tour release imminent.
Initially conceived as a solo venture for Jones – solo artist, M+N icon and member of The Johnnys and the Beasts – the band began taking shape when Baker (in town with The Painkillers) hitched a ride with his former bandmate (as you do) to Andrew McGee’s Empty Room studios in rural Victoria.
That “impromptu collaboration” gave rise to a fully-fledged project when McGee rang up his neighbours – Liddiard and Kitschin – to join in on the session. Recorded over two more sessions, the album is described as “a journey through the brooding recesses of the human psyche”.
In case you’ve lived under a rock, The Drones are curating this year’s All Tomorrow’s Parties in Melbourne, which – incidentally – will include the original line-up of The Beasts of Bourbon, featuring Jones and Baker. Surprise guest act?

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
something to look forward to before then..
http://messandnoise.com/news/4524299

It’s the Aus rock “supergroup” that just had to happen: former Beasts of Bourbon bandmates Spencer P Jones and James Baker have teamed up with The Drones’ Fiona Kitschin and Gareth Liddiard on a new album.
Titled Spencer P Jones and the Nothing Butts it’ll be out through Shock Records on November 9, with a single and tour release imminent.
Initially conceived as a solo venture for Jones – solo artist, M+N icon and member of The Johnnys and the Beasts – the band began taking shape when Baker (in town with The Painkillers) hitched a ride with his former bandmate (as you do) to Andrew McGee’s Empty Room studios in rural Victoria.
That “impromptu collaboration” gave rise to a fully-fledged project when McGee rang up his neighbours – Liddiard and Kitschin – to join in on the session. Recorded over two more sessions, the album is described as “a journey through the brooding recesses of the human psyche”.
In case you’ve lived under a rock, The Drones are curating this year’s All Tomorrow’s Parties in Melbourne, which – incidentally – will include the original line-up of The Beasts of Bourbon, featuring Jones and Baker. Surprise guest act?

If this is anything close to the quality of Sobering Thoughts it will be a freaking cracker!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
loved the new song.

it was also announced that the new album "I see seaweed" is out in early March. happy days.

ize_

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Great tune. Kept waiting for Gaz to soar up an octave like he usually does, but this was all in the lower register. Thanks Matching Mole.

Matching Mole

Cancelled
May 24, 2005
Gala Mill
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
First impression of the new record? Absolute ******* cracker. Sadder and slower than a lot of their stuff (except for "Moat"...whoa) - Hesketh's piano and the post-Strange Tourist sensibility adds a lot of space. The melodies are hesitant to announce themselves, the verses rambling, but the mood is murderous. Really pretty final song, "Why Write..." - almost the first time they've been so unembarrassed about being beautiful, musically speaking. "Laika" strikes me as the most immediate entry into the Classic Liddiard songbook, and, oddly enough, it's the song which takes the most chances. OK, rambling now, but...yep, they've done it again.

I'm sure it'll sell a couple of thousand, delight the fan base, and do nothing else. Does this matter? Not really, but it's crazy that one of this country's greatest artists - screw "musician", he's an artist - is the subject of a page that will crack the third page of this board one of these grand old days when the rest of the world rushes forth with such glee towards the abhorrent and mediocre. But then the lyrics spell all of this out so clearly, with so few illusions about so much.

Going to find a moat to stand in.

mansize rooster

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangas
had a good uninterrupted listen to this on a long drive..

Damn! They have done it again. This one aint going to grab any new fans that's for sure:p
It's much more stranger than havilah which had some pretty 'easy listening' moments on it. stuff like oh my and acting like its the end of the world..

i'm glad they didn't keep going in that direction.. not that they are bad songs or anything but i love the dark eeriness of this new LP. As matching mole said the added piano is really noticeable on this one, so good. The instrumentation on a song like Nine eyes really got me! sounds like nothing they have done before. It's great to see them expanding their sound.

Matching Mole

Cancelled
May 24, 2005
Gala Mill
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
had a good uninterrupted listen to this on a long drive..

Damn! They have done it again. This one aint going to grab any new fans that's for sure:p
It's much more stranger than havilah which had some pretty 'easy listening' moments on it. stuff like oh my and acting like its the end of the world..

i'm glad they didn't keep going in that direction.. not that they are bad songs or anything but i love the dark eeriness of this new LP. As matching mole said the added piano is really noticeable on this one, so good. The instrumentation on a song like Nine eyes really got me! sounds like nothing they have done before. It's great to see them expanding their sound.

I wish every easy listening song started with the line "People are a waste of food".

Been spinning it all weekend. Goddamn, it's breaking my ******* heart. Ridiculously good stuff. Love the closer - a clever way of getting in a rant while suggesting how flailing and feeble the rant is, i.e. "more impotent than important". Even stuff which felt less immediate initially ("They'll Kill You") really opens up after a few spins.

mansize rooster

Cancelled
Jan 11, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangas
090718drones5n.jpg

no cooler guy in Australian rock than this guy!
apparently there is a new black eyed susans album on the way to:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back