The Drones - Havilah

ize_

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
It's their 5th LP as far as I'm concerned. A Thousand Mistakes was just a live album, and Miller's Daughter is a selection of outtakes and other stuff from the Wait Long sessions. Though that tends to get counted sometimes, so I See Seaweed could be considered their 6th.

deledio7

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah.
AFL Club
Richmond
I read yesterday that the album is 90% complete and they are hoping to jump into another record soon after releasing this one. Good news!

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
I've long given up on trying to figure out Gareths lyrics but have always wondered what 'scrap iron sky' was about. I figured it was some ramblings about the Ned Kelly era. Can anyone shed any light?

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I've long given up on trying to figure out Gareths lyrics but have always wondered what 'scrap iron sky' was about. I figured it was some ramblings about the Ned Kelly era. Can anyone shed any light?
Sorry, can't help you. But I really like the lyrics. Haven't listened to much stuff pre Gala Mill for a while. It's quality stuff.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
It's their 5th LP as far as I'm concerned. A Thousand Mistakes was just a live album, and Miller's Daughter is a selection of outtakes and other stuff from the Wait Long sessions. Though that tends to get counted sometimes, so I See Seaweed could be considered their 6th.
Agree. Not a weak album there either, so hard to put in order of preference too.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I only moved here a couple of months ago - I was driving a friend home on Wednesday, realised we both liked the Drones, got home... and that was the day their FB announced that the show had sold out.

Was bumming hard. But having seen them 4 times in the last 5 years, I'm not really in a position to complain.

What does the set sound like? Are they interweaving new stuff? Or are they going back to I guess "promote" the vinyl re-releases that they're doing?

I guess that was where my interest was, I expected it would've been a really eclectic set.

ize_

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
They played everything off Wait Long except You Really Don't Care and Another Rousing Chorus You Idiots, plus Six Ways To Sunday and Miller's Daughter as usual and one new banger which was sick. Nothing off Gala Mill, Havilah or I See Seaweed.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
They played everything off Wait Long except You Really Don't Care and Another Rousing Chorus You Idiots, plus Six Ways To Sunday and Miller's Daughter as usual and one new banger which was sick. Nothing off Gala Mill, Havilah or I See Seaweed.

And can I ask one more question about what they did for an encore?

As I mentioned, I've seen them heaps over the years. For an act that doesn't get a lot of radio play it's hard to know what they think are their more mainstream songs. But I guess I have my own opinions, which is why when they'd do encores for songs that I would never have expected to hear it always added to the show.

I could give a couple of examples, but the best one was in Canberra about 6 years ago. Maybe they did they same encore at every show that tour, I don't know - but at this one they finished the set, it stayed quiet, one person wandered onto the stage and started playing in the dark.

What followed was all 10 minutes of 16 straws more or less solo by Garreth, and more or less sitting in the dark.

Encores aren't memorable by nature. They're their for a cheap cheer from the audience. This was the moment I knew there were still bands out there who did it not to get a cheap cheer, but to give something 'extra' that wasn't really in the tone of the rest of the show.

And it was incredible. It was very surreal and serine hearing one of my top 5 Drones songs played like that.

Since then I've always been intrigued to learn whether they these random songs all the time, or whether I was just surpremely lucky that it was "my" song on "my" night.

ize_

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
And can I ask one more question about what they did for an encore?

As I mentioned, I've seen them heaps over the years. For an act that doesn't get a lot of radio play it's hard to know what they think are their more mainstream songs. But I guess I have my own opinions, which is why when they'd do encores for songs that I would never have expected to hear it always added to the show.

I could give a couple of examples, but the best one was in Canberra about 6 years ago. Maybe they did they same encore at every show that tour, I don't know - but at this one they finished the set, it stayed quiet, one person wandered onto the stage and started playing in the dark.

What followed was all 10 minutes of 16 straws more or less solo by Garreth, and more or less sitting in the dark.

Encores aren't memorable by nature. They're their for a cheap cheer from the audience. This was the moment I knew there were still bands out there who did it not to get a cheap cheer, but to give something 'extra' that wasn't really in the tone of the rest of the show.

And it was incredible. It was very surreal and serine hearing one of my top 5 Drones songs played like that.

Since then I've always been intrigued to learn whether they these random songs all the time, or whether I was just surpremely lucky that it was "my" song on "my" night.
Yeah they nail the encore. I forgot to say. It was River Of Tears and then a Vipers cover. Don't know much about them but obviously The Drones are big fans. Batpiss joined them on stage for this one so there was 3 guitars plus a dude playing cymbals and toms on Chrisso's kit and the bassist sang with Gaz. Powerful stuff. Two covers. My only criticism of the whole thing is that they always play the Miller's Daughter and Six Ways To Sunday as the token oldies. Obviously they're both great songs but you'd think they'd mix it up a bit. Wouldn't have minded hearing a couple off Gala Mill for a change. Minor complaint though. Was great to hear some of the lesser known Wait Long tracks like This Time and The Best You Can Believe In.

deledio7

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah.
AFL Club
Richmond
I've seen this band perform live on 8 or 9 occasions but Saturday night was as close to a perfect Drones gig imaginable. The new song sounded brilliant too. Really different to anything they've done.

Back