Universal Love The Drugs Are Bad Mackay? approved Australian cricketers are cheats Discussion Thread

Who will win the Ashes?

• England

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Zimbabwe

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • The 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Cricket will be the real winner

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anybody else had a gutful of comments made by two-time ball-tamperer Faf du Pussy, Sandman Atherton and others on the topic?
Just because ICC and Cricket boards all over the world have been soft on ball-tamperers for years does not entitle them to have a shot at Smith in particular, whose culpability rests on a terrible snap-decision failure to tell Warner and Bancroft not to do it.
I thought faf came out in support of smith?

The main issue I see is that the ongoing fans' scrutiny/ridicule and long-term mental scar from the shame, would be a much greater pain than time off on the side-lines for a defined period.
JW, CA isn't responsible for the vengeful comments by long-remembering twits who'll give them grief years down the track --- no doubt it will linger long after their suspensions are up.
However, CA's decisions have to be made in isolation of future public sentiment about the players.
I'm waiting for Warner to fess up about his role in it. If he does, once he's done the time (like Smith and Bancroft) then even the harshest critics should let it go and move on. Yeah, they probably won't, I know, but they should.

Doubt it.
Whether he deserves it or not, Aussies (and opponents) have a long memory, and Smith will always have C-for-cheat associated with him, like a perpetual fart in an elevator. I expect that Smith will do all he can to make amends, redeem his name and reputation. He strikes me as the kind of cricket-loving character who will be even more determined to make big runs, often, letting his actions speak for him more positively in future.
Any commentary/media team with Smith on it will have to walk on eggshells any time the topic of cheating or ball-tampering comes up.
Shane Warne, Mark Waugh, Jobe Watson, Mark Thompson, Melbourne Storm. Plety of examples of people who was been done for cheating getting 2nds (or 3rd) chances

McGrath said speed isn't a fast bowlers weapon, bounce is.
Surprises me --- what was the context, please?
Searing 150kph yorkers (don't bounce at all) that uproot stumps are chief weapons of bowlers like Starc and Mitch Johnson. Raw pace often undoes #8-11 batsmen who don't have the batting reflexes required to deal with it.
As an ex-bowler, my "chief weapons" had nothing to do with me. Most of my wickets were taken by assistance from (sometimes great) catches, wind, ball condition/shape/even colour, batting mistakes and/or various tricks of the wicket, all of which were beyond my control. Random elements get wickets which are attached to bowlers' names, unfairly imo.
LUCK plays a huge part in getting wickets (more than with batting) and is often mistaken as bowler-skill.
I'd say no more than a sixth of my wickets were from something I actually intended.

The fact that the 2 Marsh brothers are now entrenched in the Australian team, with no hope of getting rid of them now that Smith/Bancroft/Warner have all been sidelined, is a massive condemnation of Australia's batting depth.

Right now we have a pretty decent bowling attack. Lyon is arguably the best off-spinner the country has ever had (he's alread the GOAT as far as wickets are concerned). Starc, Hazlewood & Cummins is a pretty decent pace attack - arguably the best pace trio (collectively) that Australia has ever fielded.

Paine is a reasonable keeper. Not great, but certainly better than the incompetents who preceded him.

But our batting... gee, that's a massive letdown. Smith & Warner were the only world class batsmen we have/had. With them gone, we're left with a group of players who would have barely been good enough for selection at shield level 10 years ago. They certainly wouldn't have been considered for test selection back then. The fact that they're the best we have to offer right now speaks volumes about how poor the country's batting stocks have fallen.

Most of the players from the Waugh era were graduates from the Australian Cricket Academy, back in the days when it was based in Adelaide. I don't know where it is now, or what it's morphed into, but it is no longer churning out polished players with the qualities required of a world class test match batsman. Maybe it's time for an investigation into why Australian cricket is failing to produce test match standard batsmen, when we used to have such a wealth of talent.
I put this at the feet of CA. They play favourites and they rarely pick on form.

S Marsh is the best example. The countless opportunities he was given, along with his brother could have gone to another player or multiple players.

We go for experience over form/talent. Its like the Crows of old.

Will Pucovski & Jason Sangha.. will be the next two superstars.. but both are still extremely young, need to earn their spots but it wouldn’t surprise me if Sangha is fast tracked.
Alex Carey is also good enough to play, I rate him better than Paine.

Doubt it.
Whether he deserves it or not, Aussies (and opponents) have a long memory, and Smith will always have C-for-cheat associated with him, like a perpetual fart in an elevator. I expect that Smith will do all he can to make amends, redeem his name and reputation. He strikes me as the kind of cricket-loving character who will be even more determined to make big runs, often, letting his actions speak for him more positively in future.
Any commentary/media team with Smith on it will have to walk on eggshells any time the topic of cheating or ball-tampering comes up.

There is no chance whatsoever that Smith will primarily be remembered as a cheat by the end of next year, let alone the end of his career. That's just not how these things work at all, no one will care once he is back and playing.

All that will occur is Smith just joins the list of captains being caught ball tampering, not a thing more, because that is what happens in these situations. On the proviso that you are a good bloke of course.

Will be good if the three of them can get released to play Shield cricket this summer. Make the competition stronger which is what we need. And hopefully mean all three can be considered for the Ashes 2019 squad.

Surprises me --- what was the context, please?
Searing 150kph yorkers (don't bounce at all) that uproot stumps are chief weapons of bowlers like Starc and Mitch Johnson. Raw pace often undoes #8-11 batsmen who don't have the batting reflexes required to deal with it.
As an ex-bowler, my "chief weapons" had nothing to do with me. Most of my wickets were taken by assistance from (sometimes great) catches, wind, ball condition/shape/even colour, batting mistakes and/or various tricks of the wicket, all of which were beyond my control. Random elements get wickets which are attached to bowlers' names, unfairly imo.
LUCK plays a huge part in getting wickets (more than with batting) and is often mistaken as bowler-skill.
I'd say no more than a sixth of my wickets were from something I actually intended.
So true! How often does your worst delivery get the wicket!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finch is the obvious choice for T20/ODI's, with Carey playing as keeper so Paine can concentrate on Tests.

Also a good opportunity to split the national coaching duties up too along similar lines.

If Head is scoring runs, good to get him into the Test team & groom him as the next Australian captain as the best young leader around.

Last edited:
Will be good if the three of them can get released to play Shield cricket this summer. Make the competition stronger which is what we need. And hopefully mean all three can be considered for the Ashes 2019 squad.
But to make sure it is still a punishment, make them play for SA.

Will Pucovski & Jason Sangha.. will be the next two superstars.. but both are still extremely young, need to earn their spots but it wouldn’t surprise me if Sangha is fast tracked.
Alex Carey is also good enough to play, I rate him better than Paine.
Pucovski needs to get his head sorted out first, has had several concussions from being hit by bouncers already in his short career, Sangha I agree with.

I put this at the feet of CA. They play favourites and they rarely pick on form.

S Marsh is the best example. The countless opportunities he was given, along with his brother could have gone to another player or multiple players.

We go for experience over form/talent. Its like the Crows of old.
To be fair, MMarsh was our best batsman behind Smith against the Poms last summer. SMarsh did alright also. Their form have dipped due to playing overseas and all the controversies last couple of games.
All is not lost, as the next few months will give us a chance to test our batting depth in the Test team.
Looking forward to see how we respond with the bat. Best case scenario is we play for the draw. Would be a seriously good effort if we can do that!

Finch is the obvious choice for T20/ODI's, with Carry playing as keeper so Paine can concentrate on Tests.

Also a good opportunity to split the national coaching duties up too along similar lines.

If Head is scoring runs, good to get him into the Test team & groom him as the next Australian captain as the best young leader around.
Maxwell needs to be in strong consideration if SMarsh not making much runs in next 1-2 games. Head is a good batsman but hasn't really done much in the Test arena to be considered a Test captain.

Maxwell needs to be in strong consideration if SMarsh not making much runs in next 1-2 games. Head is a good batsman but hasn't really done much in the Test arena to be considered a Test captain.
How can you do much in the Test arena if you haven't played?

Head has made some big Shield scores this season.

Personally, I would bring in both Head & Maxwell, assuming they are in form.

How can you do much in the Test arena if you haven't played?

Head has made some big Shield scores this season.

Personally, I would bring in both Head & Maxwell, assuming they are in form.
Sorry I mixed up my words..I meant from the International arena (ODI in partcular), he hasn't shown he's likely going to set the world on fire in the Test arena. Maxwell and Handscomb have better batting techniques and are more worthy of selection before Head, in the middle-order.
I really like the look of Carey in the few games I've seen him in. I hope he also gets more chances this year, although less likely if Paine continues to play, and as Test captain.

So that’s why they won’t declare.

Proteas team update: Rabada is struggling with a stiff lower back, Morkel still with the side strain sustained yesterday, Philander has a strapped groin. All are being managed throughout the match. #SAvAUS #SunfoilTest

There is no chance whatsoever that Smith will primarily be remembered as a cheat by the end of next year, let alone the end of his career. That's just not how these things work at all, no one will care once he is back and playing.
All that will occur is Smith just joins the list of captains being caught ball tampering, not a thing more, because that is what happens in these situations. On the proviso that you are a good bloke of course.
Trevor Chappell didn't have Smith's ability or profile pre-event, but his comments are relevant:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...o-be-haunted-forever/articleshow/63476168.cms
What Smith did is not the same as sand-in-his-pocket Atherton or Mint-spit du Pussy, even if all fall within the subset of "ball-tampering". Smith failed in his duty as Captain to stop Warner and Bancroft from sanding the ball, then lied about it 15 minutes after the day's play, treating it like it was just one of those things. Probably expected the usual pissweak One-match ICC suspension but seriously underestimated how fed up the Australian public is with the team's ongoing, well-documented poor behaviour.
I think Smith will "... be remembered as a cheat by the end of next year, [and at] the end of his career", as sad as that seems. We'll know in about three years' time ...

Generally speaking, I'll respond to substance where there is some.
Ah ok, instead of apologising for being insulting or admitting that you were factually wrong, you want substance?
Try providing some, first.
I'm done trying to reason with you, taking the advice of Kane McGoodwin:
"Never argue with an idiot as they will drag you down to their level & then beat you with experience."

So true! How often does your worst delivery get the wicket!
Mate, plenty. :D
The worst were full tosses which deserved to get hammered being mishit and providing an easy catch, or missed altogether for a bowled. Crap ball gets wicket.
I never thought to myself "OK, this one will swing in, just short of a good length, then cut off the seam/wicket away from the batsman. He's going to not quite get his foot to the ball, go for the big drive, get the outside edge and send an easy catch to second slip".
Occasionally, that happened (or similar), but the most I did even then was get the ball kinda in a good spot. Things beyond my control happened after that.
Test level bowlers are the best at doing that, getting the ball kinda in a good spot.

Back