Universal Love The Drugs Are Bad Mackay? approved Australian cricketers are cheats Discussion Thread

Who will win the Ashes?

• England

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Zimbabwe

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • The 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Cricket will be the real winner

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta be more to the Maxwell story that we might ever know. Smith's comments about the way he trains were mystifying, unless Maxwell is a total lair in the nets which would belie his good ton in India.
MMarsh has been expected to take wickets although his return after injury did not indicate that he would.
I get the impression that they think he spends too much time practicing the "lair" shots, and not enough practicing the normal cricket shots. He's a bit like the Charlie Cameron of the cricket world - all flash, no substance. But I agree, there has to be more to it than that.

Marsh has never taken more than the occasional wicket, mostly due to the batsman laughing so hard that he accidentally stuffs up and hits it to a fielder. He doesn't even look like doing that post-surgery.
Yes, not what he was picked for ie runs and a couple of wickets now and then. Really useful all-rounders break batting partnerships, and I do not mean in MMarsh's case by getting out.
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Khawaja saved his spot, Bancroft cooked his. Imo, Burns should replace Bancroft for the South African series.

Will be interesting to see who the 4 extras are. Maxwell should be 1 of them. Not sure who the other batsman should be. Not convinced Bird should go as has no real weapons. Sayers would be more deserving. Selectors probably will take Agar, but should invest in a genuine bowler like Swepson.

Marsh has never taken more than the occasional wicket, mostly due to the batsman laughing so hard that he accidentally stuffs up and hits it to a fielder.
Funny you should say ...
Looked like Smith was so amused by Moeen's return pre-lunch that Smith lost concentration for one ball and got himself out. That's the only way the Poms were going to get him. Drops Smith's average for the series to a wretched 137.4.

Funny you should say ...
Looked like Smith was so amused by Moeen's return pre-lunch that Smith lost concentration for one ball and got himself out. That's the only way the Poms were going to get him. Drops Smith's average for the series to a wretched 137.4.
Wrecked the averages of both Smith & Ali - both were averaging 150+ before that wicket.

One day of S.A. vs India is better than a 3-0 Ashes lead, "a superior contest"? o_O
Nah mate, c'mon.

Well, yeah, to put it respectfully, England have been very mediocre throughout the series - the results have been entirely predictable and dreary.

With just that first day in the South Africa/India series you had several unpredictable twists and turns - and the second day's play is open to many possibilities. Easily much more exciting already in my opinion.

England have been very mediocre throughout the series - the results have been entirely predictable and dreary.
England mediocre, yes; dreary, maybe, but:
Gabba Day One, England 4/196 (in fact, 4/246 next day until Malan got out)
Perth Day One, England 4/305
and you're saying their losses in both games from those positions were "entirely predictable"? o_O

If I had that kind of foreknowledge I'd be rich! :D
(I don't. I'm not :(.)

I think this series in general has been below par. English team mediocre. Australian team without Smith and a few cameos have been average. Australian bowlers doing their job, but none with severe heat in any given session.
Batting average for both teams around 3 or below, which has been adding to the non-spectacle apart from the cricket purists.

England mediocre, yes; dreary, maybe, but:
Gabba Day One, England 4/196 (in fact, 4/246 next day until Malan got out)
Perth Day One, England 4/305
and you're saying their losses in both games from those positions were "entirely predictable"? o_O

If I had that kind of foreknowledge I'd be rich! :D
(I don't. I'm not :(.)

Batting collapses have been a problem for England of late, so it wasn't too surprising to see them lose a load of wickets after a strong start. They're fragile. The way in which home Test series have progressed over the last 5/6 years (with the sole exception of the South Africa series last year, which was genuinely exciting and unpredictable) it wasn't too hard to see these results coming.

It feels like deja vu every time the visiting team posts a decent-but-could-have-done-better total and then Australia manage 6 for 550 or whatever. The Adelaide Tests have become just about the only ones really worth tuning in for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MMarsh looks even more awful than usual today.

I think the Marsh bros. got to be given fair credit for the way they've batted this Ashes series. SMarsh looks as solid as anyone (aside from Smith), and MMarsh has got his mix of defense and attack in the right proportions now. If you can just forget the "all-rounder" tag, MMarsh deserves a batting spot in his own right if he keeps averaging 40+ runs.

I think Maxwell deserves the benefit of the dobut to work on his game while a part of the team, as they did with Warner and are persevering with Bancroft and Khawaja.

The Warner example is a good one. He was always a reckless batsman when he made the side but matured when given the space to develop the game.

Big fan of Maxwell. He should be a certainty. Mitch Marsh has done okay but is a Mazda 3 sort of player. Nice, can’t fault it, but meh?

I think Maxwell deserves the benefit of the dobut to work on his game while a part of the team, as they did with Warner and are persevering with Bancroft and Khawaja.

The Warner example is a good one. He was always a reckless batsman when he made the side but matured when given the space to develop the game.

Big fan of Maxwell. He should be a certainty. Mitch Marsh has done okay but is a Mazda 3 sort of player. Nice, can’t fault it, but meh?
This is Test cricket we're talking about. It doesn't matter if it's a Mazda or Mercedes. We just want a car that lasts the journey. MMarsh is currently doing the job for us.

South Africa have 4 quality picks that currently have the Indians on the ropes.

Bancroft's technique got found out by the English, so he can't go to South Africa as they will destroy him.

The rest of the order, including the Marsh boys have done their job, so they deserve to go... & we will learn lots about everyone bar Smith who is already a gun.

From The Guardian live blog:
"“I feel that people are limiting themselves too much when it comes to the combined XIs,” says Brian K. “What with modern DNA technology, Dolly the sheep, magnets and lasers and stuff, what is stopping us from putting the boffins onto the job and fielding a side like Bradman, Bradman, Bradman, Bradman, Bradman, Bradman, Grout, Lillee, Lillee, Lillee, Warne (for variety)? Imagine the effect on opposition morale, knowing that once you get Bradman out he is followed by Bradman?” "
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/l...australia-v-england-fifth-test-day-three-live

I dunno what "magnets" has to do with being modern, or cloning, but a batting line-up with 6 Bradmans?
Yes please. (I'd have played Gilchrist as keeper, but)

Bairstow has had a public whinge about the DRS decision, giving MMarsh NOT OUT off Curran.
The third Umpire called a snick, which looked dodgy for sure, but moot since tracking showed the ball missing leg bigtime.
He said:
"The technology is there to be used but we need to make sure it’s of the highest standard because it’s people’s careers and livelihoods you are messing with."
Frustrated much, Johnny? o_O How about Third Umpires "of the highest standard" as well to ensure that every avenue is explored?

Last edited:
Kudos to Khawaja (khudos?) for his big ton, for moving his feet, for getting busy. 333 runs @ 47.57 with a ton and two 50s is a good return for a 5-Test Ashes series and ensures a tour of Sth Africa, one would think.
It'll also shut me up for a while :oops: about his input to the team.

Kudos to Khawaja (khudos?) for his big ton, for moving his feet, for getting busy. 333 runs @ 47.57 with a ton and two 50s is a good return for a 5-Test Ashes series and ensures a tour of Sth Africa, one would think.
It'll also shut me up for a while :oops: about his input to the team.
It's always a fine line we tread when discussing who to demote or who to be newly selected. All it takes is 1 good solid century and you can start to look a million dollars, no matter what the form was in previous innings!
Khawaja has serious talent. He just needs to get his mind right, like he has in this current match.

Back