Universal Love The Drugs Are Bad Mackay? approved Australian cricketers are cheats Discussion Thread

Who will win the Ashes?

• England

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Zimbabwe

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • The 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Cricket will be the real winner

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

"England Cricket has said captain Joe Root did not suffer dehydration as first reported and was taken to hospital for a viral gastroenteritis bug."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...y/news-story/d8a750e4a5c44026369846e2569e8bcb
Some comments have been made in the media about his no-show when the 9th wicket fell and later during the presentations.
As I said above, I'm no fan of BabyJoe, but I don't doubt that if he could've come out, he would've.
It's just a combination of virus and heat exhaustion. Whether Root played or not, wouldn't have much of an affect on the outcome anyway. I think most people joking about Root being soft, is just saying in jest, no real issue/malice.

But take away from the viral illness, Root has had a real downer of a series. Batting was ok, but captaincy went really nowhere, mixed with a few baffling decisions. C-

Smith on the other hand, with all the tics and restlessness, I give him a solid A+!

I'm not. I actually don't think he can lead a team again after that effort.

Don't know who told Root it was OK, to sit in the shade but that was the wrong advice, he can't ask all of his players, when he doesn't ask it of himself.
I'm sure him going to hospital was a medical decision by the team doctor. I mean, assuming they have a team doctor, then that's what the team doctor is there for right? To make decisions whether you stay, play, or go to hospital. Surely? :)

I'm sure him going to hospital was a medical decision by the team doctor. I mean, assuming they have a team doctor, then that's what the team doctor is there for right? To make decisions whether you stay, play, or go to hospital. Surely? :)

Not sure if you are serious or not?

It was his decision to stay or go and he made a really poor one for a guy who wants to lead men.

So who would you take to South Africa for the tests?

My side/squad:

Burns
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Marsh S
Marsh M
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

Maxwell
Weatherald
Sayers
Swepson

Bancroft confidence & technique is cooked, so can't go or would get destroyed by Saffy quicker. Burns is in form & experienced replacement. Rest of the side deserves to keep their place.

Maxwell is a must for the squad as a form batsman, who can offer part-time spin & at worst gives us a quality 12th man.

As for a spare top order batsman, who knows. Weatherald with Burns is the only option who has scored 2 tons. Selectors will probably pick Handscomb instead as he wasn't really dropped... just no longer in the side.

I would take Sayers as he some of the pitches may be juiced up to suit their quickest & he gives us more options than the vanilla Bird (who I suspect the selectors will pick). Pity Patterson isn't fit.

Would take Swepson for the touring experience... but selectors likely to continue with Agar, even though neither his bowling or batting is good enough.

Guess if I am being really harsh, it was just Root finding another way not to convert a 50 into a hundred in this series
Super harsh, if he's as sick as we believe him to be then it would be near impossible to bat.

He did try but he looked awful

Super harsh, if he's as sick as we believe him to be then it would be near impossible to bat.

He did try but he looked awful

I dunno, is this a millennial thing or something? You man up as a leader and get out there. I don't care if he was sick, had a sore hand, finally saw himself in the mirror, you go out and stick it out for the team.

Cannot believe people are excusing what he did

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno, is this a millennial thing or something? You man up as a leader and get out there. I don't care if he was sick, had a sore hand, finally saw himself in the mirror, you go out and stick it out for the team.

I think you have your opinions confused. How you think of the Poms and Root as a player or captain, is an entirely separate issue of whether he is legit sick or not. If he was in fact in a hospital overnight, we are talking a genuine medical problem, and I'm sure the team doctor would have advised him to go. It's a medical decision, not a cricketing/captaincy decision.

Last edited:
I think you have your opinions confused. How you think of the Poms and Root as a player or captain, is an entirely separate issue of whether he is legit sick or not. If he was in fact in a hospital overnight, we are talking a genuine medical problem, and I'm sure the team doctor would have advised him to go. It's a medical decision, not a cricketing/captaincy decision.

No, you are right, the leader of men, should be the first to jump the ship.

It isn't a cricketing/captaincy or medical decision, it is a masculine decision and Joseph dropped the ball. In saying this, I don't have an issue with him resigning over this, I actually think it is the right thing to do given what he has done but not coming out to bat and having a kip whilst Anderson, who can't bat faces the music against a bunch of guys bouncing him...* me, the guy is a disgrace of a leader.

I find it troubling that people are defending him.

One of those people is no less than our Captain, Smith:
" Smith said Root displayed impressive toughness to bat while battling illness on the final day.
"For us, you never want to hear that someone's ill, it's not a nice place to be," he said.
"It took a lot of courage to come out and bat.
"You could see he was struggling a fair bit, particularly when he was running between wickets.".
(http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-...ot-for-leaving-sick-bed/9312614?section=sport)
I'm with Smith.
It isn't a cricketing/captaincy or medical decision, it is a masculine decision
Nonsense.
Have you never been sick enough yourself not to be able to do something eg like go to work?

It isn't a cricketing/captaincy or medical decision, it is a masculine decision and Joseph dropped the ball. In saying this, I don't have an issue with him resigning over this, I actually think it is the right thing to do given what he has done but not coming out to bat and having a kip whilst Anderson, who can't bat faces the music against a bunch of guys bouncing him...**** me, the guy is a disgrace of a leader.

This will be the last I comment about Root. You are making the assumption that him going to hospital overnight was his choice, and again, I'm putting bets on his team doctor would have enforced this decision on him. Hospital doctors would then have made further medical advice, which would have governed his choice in when to bat or when to retire.

If it makes it simpler for you to understand, here's a formula:
Severe dehydration = concussion (without the external force)

But yeah, * Root/England. We were really strong with all round bowling/batting performance in this Ashes series. Hope this will translate to a strong performance in the next series against South Africa!

I'm not a millennal but I have had norovirus, he did actually get out there in the morning and had a go.

If he hadn't of done that I would agreed

It isn't a cricketing/captaincy or medical decision, it is a masculine decision and Joseph dropped the ball. In saying this, I don't have an issue with him resigning over this, I actually think it is the right thing to do given what he has done but not coming out to bat and having a kip whilst Anderson, who can't bat faces the music against a bunch of guys bouncing him...**** me, the guy is a disgrace of a leader.

I think you are letting your hate of all things England blind you.
The guy was literally shitting his pants, nothing to do with masculinity or jumping the ship, it's a virus. If you've ever had severe gastro you'd know there is no stopping it.
I'm actually impressed he went out there at all, playing professional sport and gastro do not mix. Would he have looked more masculine if he'd stayed out there and s**t himself?
Enjoy the fact we won!

Have any other batsmen in Australia ever not batted in a test due to illness?
Not to my knowledge, but it would be easier to bat with broken bones than firing from both ends consistently.

You can eat and drink with a broken arm, and on a 40 degree day he could have been seriously hurt.

Wait, so this isn’t a gag? This is genuine??

Disgraceful effort.

i think that's the tackiest thing i've ever seen in cricket.

JJ is hardly in a position to call other sportsmen soft, which is your point I'd guess. Do you have the direct quote, or URL? Or just kidding?

I don't like Joe Root, never will, because he's a good bat, a Pommie, and their Captain. When I learned this morning that he'd been to hospital on a drip for dehydration/heatstroke, my anti-Pommie schadenfreude kicked in --- can't handle Aussie cricketers, can't handle Aussie weather.
Even so, if he was too crook to come out and bat, let it be. Didn't hear anything about norovirus.
He tried before lunch, no good.

Maybe.
Maybe he was just too sick.

If you captain your country in cricket, the only way you can be too sick is when you don't have a pulse.

Have any other batsmen in Australia ever not batted in a test due to illness?

Not that i remember, but it makes me think of this

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...r-teammate-greg-matthews-20160913-grfa67.html

Ignoring Greg Matthews, what an innings. I was 10 when it happened and it impressed upon me what it meant to play for Australia

Interesting comments about Khawaja, reflect my own opinion of him:
"Khawaja's languid manner at the crease and at the microphone has not always endeared him to everyone, suggesting plenty of self-belief but also a touch of inflexibility in his methods. He has shown indignation this summer about the way he was shuffled out, then back in, then back out of, the Test team during two Asian tours, and then expressed mystification about why his comments to that effect were reported as such. At the same time Khawaja has tried not to fuss too much over the fact that the big scores have not come, instead reassuring himself that he is not out of form, merely out of runs.", well, until today's knock I suppose.
(http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21965101/khawaja-bancroft-contrast-village-day)
Bancroft made similar remarks about himself, pre-Test 5 ie that he felt he was batting well. o_O

Saying it has the main goal to keep a positive mindset when things aren't going your way. Whether he believes it or not is a different story.

If you captain your country in cricket, the only way you can be too sick is when you don't have a pulse.
Extremely disappointed to see this from a Moderator whom I respect.
For all we know --- and we do not know, for sure --- Root might have been staggering/delirious, or unable to walk, or shitting himself literally (as opposed to figuratively when he faces Starc and Cummins).
I can scarcely believe that you're supporting the bullshit macho position taken by jumboprince:
It isn't a cricketing/captaincy or medical decision, it is a masculine decision and Joseph dropped the ball.

Real men come out to bat even when they're shitting their pants? Total rubbish. Would you have Renshaw bat and Cummins bowl in shitty whites, to prove their manliness? For the record, they didn't.
(and please don't remind me of Dean Jones' 200, or McCosker batting with his Elephant Man's head swathed in bandages --- I've seen both. In the former case, Jones batted on because he could, not because he couldn't.
In the latter, poor Rick risked his life and for what? A few runs? It was not masculinity at its finest, it was madness. Another blow would've killed him.)

Cricket's a game.
It's not life-or-death, or proof of manliness.

Back