Universal Love The Drugs Are Bad Mackay? approved Australian cricketers are cheats Discussion Thread

Who will win the Ashes?

• England

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Zimbabwe

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • The 45th President of the United States, Donald Trump

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Cricket will be the real winner

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I can tell from the last 3 ODI so far, the game is turning more towards an extension of T20. Bravery in shots and aiming for (collectively) a strike rate of 100, is the norm these days if you want a win.
Prior to T20 the average runs per ODI innings is 250-300. Now in the last 1-2 years, it appears that the ODI targets have shifted to 300-350. This of course, I'm referring to flat-track wickets where it's conducive for batting.
The game now is more to do continuing the flow of runs, and avoiding the dot balls whenever possible.

I can see the ODI team will eventually look more like the T20 team in the foreseeable future.

Still think we bowled woefully in the last 15 overs, whereas England bowled very well.
Don't think our batting has been a huge issue, fair play to England.
It's both, isn't it? The wickets are not tailored to suit bowlers.
We bat, they get more (= not enough runs). They bat, we don't make the runs (= batting deficiency).

From what I can tell from the last 3 ODI so far, the game is turning more towards an extension of T20. Bravery in shots and aiming for (collectively) a strike rate of 100, is the norm these days if you want a win.
Prior to T20 the average runs per ODI innings is 250-300. Now in the last 1-2 years, it appears that the ODI targets have shifted to 300-350. This of course, I'm referring to flat-track wickets where it's conducive for batting.
The game now is more to do continuing the flow of runs, and avoiding the dot balls whenever possible.
I can see the ODI team will eventually look more like the T20 team in the foreseeable future.
SR of 100 or more in ODIs is definitely aided by flat track decks, but not for the enhancement or improvement of the game. Cricket Australia and Channel 9 (and venue food/drink vendors) don't want teams to be knocked over for 180 off 35 overs and the runs chased down in 30, or worse, second team is all out for <180. That's 2 hours of advertising revenue lost, even if it came down to the last ball.
Tonight BBL Strikers made 5/173 off 20 with last two balls getting wickets.
Extend that SR that over 50 overs yields 432 runs. 400+ has only been achieved 18 times in all ODIs
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_400+_innings_scores_in_ODIs )and if it's the wave of the future, pity the poor bowlers running in to get smacked around game after game.
ODI cricket will have become a game about batting only. T20's there, all ready, with 4's and 6's all the rage, with lesser attention paid to speccy catches. Bowlers are bit-players.
4s and 6s are great viewing, but I like to see wickets fall (and maiden overs) from good bowling too.

Good on Sayers for standing up for himself!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-...n-answers-over-south-africa-tour-snub/9351512
Sayers' Shield numbers are more than comparable to Bird's; in fact, both his bowling and batting averages are slightly better. What's the man gotta do?
Coupla mystifying selections in that Test squad for South African conditions:
--- Richardson has 17 wickets at 26.29, Bird 253 @ 25.06, but Sayers 246 @ 23.56 ... wtf?
--- Handscomb back in, not Carey (who would benefit greatly from such a tour but is probably seen only as an ODI or T20 player so far)
Is Handscomb seen as the back-up for Paine?

Good on Sayers for standing up for himself!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-...n-answers-over-south-africa-tour-snub/9351512
Sayers' Shield numbers are more than comparable to Bird's; in fact, both his bowling and batting averages are slightly better. What's the man gotta do?
Coupla mystifying selections in that Test squad for South African conditions:
--- Richardson has 17 wickets at 26.29, Bird 253 @ 25.06, but Sayers 246 @ 23.56 ... wtf?
--- Handscomb back in, not Carey (who would benefit greatly from such a tour but is probably seen only as an ODI or T20 player so far)
Is Handscomb seen as the back-up for Paine?
Even better we are taking Bancoft who was found out by the English quicks... so the South African quicks can't wait to have a crack at him as they are of higher quality.

Not taking the inform Burns as at least the spare batsman (but should replace Bancroft) is crazy stuff.

Even better we are taking Bancoft who was found out by the English quicks... so the South African quicks can't wait to have a crack at him as they are of higher quality.

Not taking the inform Burns as at least the spare batsman (but should replace Bancroft) is crazy stuff.
Burns is injured

SR of 100 or more in ODIs is definitely aided by flat track decks, but not for the enhancement or improvement of the game. Cricket Australia and Channel 9 (and venue food/drink vendors) don't want teams to be knocked over for 180 off 35 overs and the runs chased down in 30, or worse, second team is all out for <180. That's 2 hours of advertising revenue lost, even if it came down to the last ball.
Tonight BBL Strikers made 5/173 off 20 with last two balls getting wickets.
Extend that SR that over 50 overs yields 432 runs. 400+ has only been achieved 18 times in all ODIs
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_400+_innings_scores_in_ODIs )and if it's the wave of the future, pity the poor bowlers running in to get smacked around game after game.
ODI cricket will have become a game about batting only. T20's there, all ready, with 4's and 6's all the rage, with lesser attention paid to speccy catches. Bowlers are bit-players.
4s and 6s are great viewing, but I like to see wickets fall (and maiden overs) from good bowling too.

This years probably the first year I’ve paid much attention to the big bash, and I think there’s been plenty of interest and respect paid to the bowlers. Rashid Khan is the Eddie Betts of the Strikers such is his stardom out there and he’s a bowler, not a batsman. It’s been really interesting to see which bowlers have been able to restrict the batsman and cause trouble. The soon to be English bowler Archer has bowled some awesome spells from what I’ve seen that had batsmen struggling big time.

There’s no doubt that the game is primarily about the big hits, but I think there’s still plenty of room for clever and skillful bowlers to make a name for themselves. It’s just a totally different game for them, as the saying goes “a wickets as good as a dot ball...” it’s no doubt a fhallenge for the bowlers, but there’s a challenge for the batsman as well as there’s increased pressure and expectation on them to make the big shots and the challenge is finding the right balls to hit and the right balls to hit singles and twos off of.

Cricket, like every sport is changing/adapting, as batsman get better at hitting runs quickly, bowlers need to develop new strategies to restrict this or to get them out. Yet we should be pitying the bowlers because the batsmen are getting better at scoring runs? Don’t pity the bowlers, challenge them to get better

The revelation of this year's BBL is just how bad Australian batsmen are at playing spin, particularly leg spin. Then again, maybe that's not really a revelation - just a well established fact which has become even more glaringly obvious as a result of having a spotlight illuminating it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The revelation of this year's BBL is just how bad Australian batsmen are at playing spin, particularly leg spin. Then again, maybe that's not really a revelation - just a well established fact which has become even more glaringly obvious as a result of having a spotlight illuminating it.

It's really odd what's happened with leg spin in our country and bowling in general. You'd think having recently exited the Shane Warne era, that we'd have had young leg/wrist spinners up to our ears, which would have lead to all our batsman growing up playing heaps of leg spin.

I suspect the issue may be 2 fold, growing up in Australia you learn first to play on cement pitches and then upgrade to turf wickets which really aren't much better. Thus young spin bowlers get no encouragement from the pitches and thus often turn to off spin to restrict runs or just bowl pace/give up.

The second issue I think is the lack of decent coaches who understand spin in the junior grades. Personally I remember rocking up to year 7 or 8 cricket training as a leg spinner, and reasonably effective one up until that point FWIW, and at the first training for the season with a new "coach" being told not to bowl leg spin, but off spin by the coach. I got 30 second tutorial on how to bowl a finger spinner and that was it. Now I'm not by any means going to suggest I was going to amount to anything, but I wonder how many experienced similar in a system that seems hell bent on producing fast bowlers.

I've certainly heard Shane Warne talk a number of times about how the wrong fields are often being set at the more junior grades and then no support when the spinner would be hit for a few runs.

At the end of the day, is it any surprise that our batsmen can't play spin when they grow up in a country that promotes bowling pace above anything else?

Bowling leg spin is just difficult.

We've had 5 genuinely good ones in 100 years? Grimmett, O'Reilly, Benaud, Warne, MacGill.

They just don't come along often. And it would be similar numbers or even fewer in all the other countries.

I did hear one coach say that Warne's style launched a heap of junior copycats. But that his style suited Warney because of his strong physique, wrists/forearms. He could walk in a few steps with minimal momentum and rip them. Still at good speed.

Young kids with average dimensions try to do the same and can't. They have to bowl them 'up' to get the ball down there. Become launchers rather than bowlers. Probably need more momentum and energy in their run up.

I'm pleased to see CA has shortened pitches for very young cricketers. Will allow young kids to bowl with a more normal trajectory and the pitch grows as they do.

Bowling leg spin is just difficult.

We've had 5 genuinely good ones in 100 years? Grimmett, O'Reilly, Benaud, Warne, MacGill.

They just don't come along often. And it would be similar numbers or even fewer in all the other countries.

I did hear one coach say that Warne's style launched a heap of junior copycats. But that his style suited Warney because of his strong physique, wrists/forearms. He could walk in a few steps with minimal momentum and rip them. Still at good speed.

Young kids with average dimensions try to do the same and can't. They have to bowl them 'up' to get the ball down there. Become launchers rather than bowlers. Probably need more momentum and energy in their run up.

I'm pleased to see CA has shortened pitches for very young cricketers. Will allow young kids to bowl with a more normal trajectory and the pitch grows as they do.
Bob Holland says hi

This years probably the first year I’ve paid much attention to the big bash, and I think there’s been plenty of interest and respect paid to the bowlers. Rashid Khan is the Eddie Betts of the Strikers such is his stardom out there and he’s a bowler, not a batsman. It’s been really interesting to see which bowlers have been able to restrict the batsman and cause trouble. The soon to be English bowler Archer has bowled some awesome spells from what I’ve seen that had batsmen struggling big time.

There’s no doubt that the game is primarily about the big hits, but I think there’s still plenty of room for clever and skillful bowlers to make a name for themselves. It’s just a totally different game for them, as the saying goes “a wickets as good as a dot ball...” it’s no doubt a fhallenge for the bowlers, but there’s a challenge for the batsman as well as there’s increased pressure and expectation on them to make the big shots and the challenge is finding the right balls to hit and the right balls to hit singles and twos off of.

Cricket, like every sport is changing/adapting, as batsman get better at hitting runs quickly, bowlers need to develop new strategies to restrict this or to get them out. Yet we should be pitying the bowlers because the batsmen are getting better at scoring runs? Don’t pity the bowlers, challenge them to get better
I think there's oodles of doubt about that.

It's funny but most people's predictions about T20 cricket and how it would be played and won have been wrong.

Sure, big hits are important and the batsmen who can hit boundaries are the stars.

But nobody predicted that spinners would be the more dominant bowlers (no stats to back that up, just my impression based on Khan, Rashid, Hogg, etc) and even more importantly, captaincy and field placing.

The field placing is key. If they get that right, it strangles the batsman and leads to them making hail mary shots that usually lead to catches in the deep (where you have to have the fielders in catching position ... and you have to bowl to entice the shot to that area of the ground).

I think the Strikers have been okay to good with the bat. Where we've excelled is in our discipline with our bowling and fielding. Siddle has been a great addition. If nothing else, he gives 6 quality deliveries that frustrate the batter. He might not have the stats, but I think he's been our 2nd best bowler.

Instead of being hit & giggle, it is highly strategic and intelligent. I love it. Think they should do away with 50-over. It has no point.

Warne was a superstar and a once in a generation player.

His only weakness would have been good wrongun, but he didn't really need it.

I can pinpoint his retirement as the exact moment my love of cricket started to wane.

It's now pretty much evaporated and I no longer even know who is in the Australian team.

For someone who used to watch every single ball of a test match I can't even bring myself to watch an innings of 20/20.

It's sad and I'm probably sounding old, but I wished cricket was like it was during the era of Steve and Mark Waugh, Warne, and even the previous generation of Border, Boon, alderman, McDermott. There were amazing players that were household names all around the world like viv Richards, Malcolm Marshall, Carl Hooper, Lara, ambrose, Tendulkar, Dev, Wasim Akram, imran Khan, Ambrose, gooch, etc.

Now, I couldn't give a s**t.

AFL, Soccer, NBA, UFC

That's all I watch.

Finch out with a hamstring niggle. I think all those quick singles in last 3 ODIs have taken a toll on the body. Good chance for Head or whoever to open the batting.

Back