Review The Dumb, the Soft and the Ugly vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not fussed how many Hawkins gets. I'm more concerned with 1) No Crows remonstrated with him - where was Talia 2) 18 years and we are still lacking any form of aggression and 3) We don't have a kpp who is capable of throwing his weight around.

Nice, mediocre, risk adverse, apathetic, aggressionless, bruise free, soft, making up the numbers - this is the afc over the last 18 years.

As stated in chapter 6 pg 67 of the Adelaide Choir Boy Guidelines. No aggression towards the opponent... please.

After settling down from the loss against Geelong I refuse to believe our coaching team are this stupid.. we tried tagging selwood for like 10minutes but the damage had already been done.

Are we holding the aces up our sleeves? I thought Pyke is adaptable?
Our team are mentally weak. Somebody needs to draw a line in the sand here and bring the tempo from the first bounce.
I still think Sauce is a weak link, he's one of the main reasons we tend to struggle out of stoppages against the good teams. s**t leap and stupid taps whenever he does win a tap. Our stoppage setups are a joke and Campo/Clarke need to piss off.

Former Geelong defender Tim McGrath has labelled Adelaide’s Josh Jenkins the game’s most overrated key forward.

After watching the athletic Crow struggle to impact despite kicking two goals in the side’s loss to Geelong, the former Cat vice-captain left unimpressed.

“I’d go on the record and say he’s right up there with the most overrated key forward’s in the game right now,” McGrath said.

“For a key forward, he doesn’t assert his authority on contests, struggles in the ruck because he isn’t big on physicality and I’d say a lot of his goals are from close range in games where the flow of the contest is running the Crows way.

“If you’re thinking of a key forward who you’d want to stand up when the chips are down, then I’m not sure he’s the man you’d be looking to.”

Jenkins, who last year signed a five-year deal worth a reported $2.75 million, has kicked 13 goals from seven matches this season after a breakout 2016 in which he kicked 62 to finish fifth in the Coleman Medal.

In last year’s finals Jenkins struggled to translate solid home and away form into a meaningful September contribution. After kicking two goals from five kicks in the elimination final victory over North Melbourne, the 28-year-old mustered two kicks and no goals in a bitterly disappointing performance in the semi-final loss to Sydney. He totaled 12 disposals and five marks from two finals appearances.

The former basketballer rejected a healthy $750,000 a season offer from Brisbane last year, but the inflationary pressure of the deal forced the Crows to up their price to retain the former Essendon rookie.

“His manager is a genius,” McGrath said.

“For what he brings to the table it’s not a great deal for the Crows.

“I mean he’s not a lead up forward, he doesn’t read the game that well and he doesn’t assert his authority on games when there is immense physical pressure from quality defenders.

“Ï think we get carried away by him when he kicks a bag at the Adelaide Oval, but that form can be misleading.”

Jenkins missed four games earlier this year after sustaining a broken rib in the Round 2 win over Hawthorn. He returned to the side in Round 7 but was dropped following a battling two-goal effort in the Round 8 loss to Melbourne.

The 200cm forward is likely to retain his place in the side for Friday night’s clash against St Kilda.

Jenkins kicked seven goals, and recorded career-high disposals (24) and marks (13) in the side’s 88-point win over the Saints in Round 11 last year.
See what happens when we play s**t on the big Friday night stage? People start to realise were not as good as the big downhill skiing wins suggest.

Former Geelong defender Tim McGrath has labelled Adelaide’s Josh Jenkins the game’s most overrated key forward.

After watching the athletic Crow struggle to impact despite kicking two goals in the side’s loss to Geelong, the former Cat vice-captain left unimpressed.

“I’d go on the record and say he’s right up there with the most overrated key forward’s in the game right now,” McGrath said.

“For a key forward, he doesn’t assert his authority on contests, struggles in the ruck because he isn’t big on physicality and I’d say a lot of his goals are from close range in games where the flow of the contest is running the Crows way.

“If you’re thinking of a key forward who you’d want to stand up when the chips are down, then I’m not sure he’s the man you’d be looking to.”

Jenkins, who last year signed a five-year deal worth a reported $2.75 million, has kicked 13 goals from seven matches this season after a breakout 2016 in which he kicked 62 to finish fifth in the Coleman Medal.

In last year’s finals Jenkins struggled to translate solid home and away form into a meaningful September contribution. After kicking two goals from five kicks in the elimination final victory over North Melbourne, the 28-year-old mustered two kicks and no goals in a bitterly disappointing performance in the semi-final loss to Sydney. He totaled 12 disposals and five marks from two finals appearances.

The former basketballer rejected a healthy $750,000 a season offer from Brisbane last year, but the inflationary pressure of the deal forced the Crows to up their price to retain the former Essendon rookie.

“I mean he’s not a lead up forward, he doesn’t read the game that well and he doesn’t assert his authority on games when there is immense physical pressure from quality defenders.

“Ï think we get carried away by him when he kicks a bag at the Adelaide Oval, but that form can be misleading.”

Jenkins missed four games earlier this year after sustaining a broken rib in the Round 2 win over Hawthorn. He returned to the side in Round 7 but was dropped following a battling two-goal effort in the Round 8 loss to Melbourne.

The 200cm forward is likely to retain his place in the side for Friday night’s clash against St Kilda.

Jenkins kicked seven goals, and recorded career-high disposals (24) and marks (13) in the side’s 88-point win over the Saints in Round 11 last year.

That is quite possibly the most scathing article I have read about a crows player.

Where is this article printed ?

That is quite possibly the most scathing article I have read about a crows player.

Where is this article printed ?
Don't even worry about reading it. Viccos love an easy target, once one of em has a crack they all have a crack.

They were all calling for Matt crouch to get a fine and a letter for staging tonight on 360 and on the couch lol. Morons.

Watched the second and last quarters tonight and some obvious signs.

Brown tag on Selwood - it was bloody effective in the last but should have been deployed at the start. Two related aspects then emerge, the reverse tactic saw Geelong tag Sloane with Scott Selwood and Blicavs, we have no second option tag. I think Thor would be good. The other aspect is who replaces Brown down back, maybe this is why Wigg should be tried.

Forward spread - Tex and the staff need to work on the spread up forward, too often the ball went central around 40 out, easy pickings for Geelong.

Lower the eyes and enter forward from 70 - we had too many midfield/ wing entries rather than deep half forward initiated entries. This makes us use high kicks rather than short passes into the forward 50. It relates to the point above.

These changes would go a long way to improving the game with Geelong. Thor also needs to start in the middle with the Crouch boys with Sloane at half back potentially

Very skewed way of thinking.

Nothing wrong with a supporter base having expectations.. After all, what's a club without supporters? I'm sure a bunch of you cnts dropped off the bombers wagon as well when s**t hit the fan with the old needle jabbing.
None at all that I noticed, some of us a bit backwards in Vic, not uncommon to come across fans that support their team, even if they're on top! :eek::eek:

So true... Nothing wrong with expectation. But If you were expecting to be positioned better than 2nd with 140% heading into the break, which judging by the tone it seems everyone was, you just sound bratty as f***.

Last edited:
None at all that I noticed, some of us a bit backwards in Vic, not uncommon to come across fans that support their team, even if they're on top! :eek::eek:

So true... Nothing wrong with expectation. But If you were expecting to be positioned better than 2nd with 140% heading into the break, which judging by the tone it seems everyone was, you just sound bratty as f***.
There is a bit more too it than that. We've lost 3 out of our last 5 after teams have played us the same way, it's exposed deficiencies in our game plan that were exposed last year and we haven't learnt. Our midfield which we did not improve has been exposed as Sloane has been tagged. Besides no point having a great minor round and floundering again in the finals, which unless something changes we are on course to do again.

But you have bigger things to worry about like flogging Port this weekend.

And that attitude is why you still support a club that injects its players with drugs that aren't even approved use. Drugs that have unknown side effects. Drugs that are against the WADA code.

Thanks but no thanks.

Just would point out a couple things---one, this is coming from a Kitty Kat whose side just had a nice win. If he was that knowledgeable about all that ails the form of Josh Jenkins one would think maaaaybe just maybe he would have had confidence enough to say this BEFORE the game. After the game strikes me as well....a bit rich.

Second, we know JJ has not played especially great this season--you don't need to be the super scout that McGrath has apparently become overnight to understand that.

However, on our list of concerns on the way to fighting for a premiership...JJ is pretty damn low down the sheet.

So McGrath...kiss my ass. :)

After settling down from the loss against Geelong I refuse to believe our coaching team are this stupid.. we tried tagging selwood for like 10minutes but the damage had already been done.

Our team are mentally weak. Somebody needs to draw a line in the sand here and bring the tempo from the first bounce.
I still think Sauce is a weak link, he's one of the main reasons we tend to struggle out of stoppages against the good teams. s**t leap and stupid taps whenever he does win a tap. Our stoppage setups are a joke and Campo/Clarke need to piss off.

Could it be that because Danger has all the info on his old team mates as well as knowing the coaching group - it's this info that makes us look predictable ?

Just a thought but could explain the fact that they seem to be the one team that constantly has it over us.

Let's not forget, Cats lost to Bombers and Suns and only just scraped over the line at home against Port and a wounded Bulldogs

The fact the game was against Adelaide is the only reason the result has been so "great" for Geelong and so "s**t" for us.

Personally I look at the draw, see that game at Kardinia Park and write it off.

Even at Adelaide's Oval, Danger knows exactly how we will play and any plan B's or even C's,

Just would point out a couple things---one, this is coming from a Kitty Kat whose side just had a nice win. If he was that knowledgeable about all that ails the form of Josh Jenkins one would think maaaaybe just maybe he would have had confidence enough to say this BEFORE the game. After the game strikes me as well....a bit rich.

Second, we know JJ has not played especially great this season--you don't need to be the super scout that McGrath has apparently become overnight to understand that.

However, on our list of concerns on the way to fighting for a premiership...JJ is pretty damn low down the sheet.

So McGrath...kiss my ass. :)
Anyone with an ounce of football knowledge can see that, as a ruckman and key forward, jj is the prototype of the type of footballer who is built not to succeed in September, when the pressure increases and space decreases.
He's been found out.

But don't worry I'm sure we will persist with him for another 100 games. The Adelaide "system" will fix him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone with an ounce of football knowledge can see that, as a ruckman and key forward, jj is the prototype of the type of footballer who is built not to succeed in September, when the pressure increases and space decreases.
He's been found out.

That being the case, why did we need to seek confirmation from a Kitty Kat?? What is the point, exactly?

I am not sold that JJ's career is over. He gets the benefit of the doubt for now...and I sure as hell could give a rats ass what some ex-Geelong player thinks after the game. Funny, don't remember McGrath evaluating our roster at any point this season so far.

Maybe he should concern himself with evaluating why his squad lays major eggs against inferior opponents on a semi-regular basis.

:)

Don't even worry about reading it. Viccos love an easy target, once one of em has a crack they all have a crack.

They were all calling for Matt crouch to get a fine and a letter for staging tonight on 360 and on the couch lol. Morons.
A fine. Unbelivable. Then Selwood and Lindsay Thomas should get a life ban for the net amount of false free kicks they have drawn.

No doubt Selwood is a brave and hard player, but he ducks for frees so much it's not funny. He is a bit like Mitchell, talented but ultimately will be remembered for the negative parts of his game than anything good he ever did. And rightly so.

This off-season is the make or break time for us. We either land one of the 'big' midfielders or it'll be the same old same old for us. It's up to Roo to make it happen.

He's been found out.

But don't worry I'm sure we will persist with him for another 100 games. The Adelaide "system" will fix him.
I would like to see him recast as a wingman. With stints in the middle. Like Blicavs and Roughead do at times.

Then keep McGovern and have he Eddie and Tex as forward focal points. Or Otten and Tex if Gov goes.

Jenkins has a massive tank and can run and carry. His size would be an issue for a lot of his opponents in that role and he can still go forward to get on the end and kick a goal.

.it is probably the most effective way to have all of Tex, Lynch, Gov and Jenkins in the one team.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Apparently we've been holding our aces up our sleeves for over a year now. We're really playing the long game!. After losing to Geelong in the first matchup last year I thought Pyke would make adjustments and we'd get them the next time but instead the same thing happened again and amazingly the same thing happened the third time we played them under him as head coach. There are no aces up the sleeve.

Last week's game could have been part of Don's three card trick against Geelong.

Lull them into a false sense of security again. Let Chris Scott see us as soft targets again. As we were last year. See that even if we lose down there the worst we can drop is second. They think they have our measure and aim to rough us up anytime we play em.

Then bazinga. Next time we play them in a few weeks a completely different team. Smash em in contested ball and hurt them. Win by ten goals.

From then on we are a completely different team and Crows football is all about contested ball and tackling for the rest of the year.

#wishfulkthinking

Nah he is soft
He is. But he is contracted for another five years.

95% of this board were happy with that last year. He was the same type of player then.

We need to stop expecting him to be a pack crashing contested marking forward. And more as a running tall HF Flanker.

That is what he is and how he plays the game.

Last week's game could have been part of Don's three card trick against Geelong.

Lull them into a false sense of security again. Let Chris Scott see us as soft targets again. As we were last year. See that even if we lose down there the worst we can drop is second. They think they have our measure and aim to rough us up anytime we play em.

Then bazinga. Next time we play them in a few weeks a completely different team. Smash em in contested ball and hurt them. Win by ten goals.

From then on we are a completely different team and Crows football is all about contested ball and tackling for the rest of the year.

#wishfulkthinking

I like it, long term thinking. Why not wait just in case we play them in Finals?

He is. But he is contracted for another five years.

95% of this board were happy with that last year. He was the same type of player then.

We need to stop expecting him to be a pack crashing contested marking forward. And more as a running tall HF Flanker.

That is what he is and how he plays the game.

As part of the 5% who weren't, Im comforted by the fact that, contracted or not, we can still trade him. Although why the hell we didnt send him up to the Lions with their $750k offer, for some sort of deal involving Rockliff, actually blows my mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back