The Eagles want a slice of 'Dreamtime' AND Anzac Day Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Eagles look to establish Dreamtime clash to celebrate indigenous footy

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...indigenous-footy/story-e6frg1xu-1226073548577

WEST Coast wants to establish its own Dreamtime match every season to celebrate the huge contribution of West Australian indigenous players to the game. The Eagles will request the AFL gives it a permanent home game in Indigenous Round each season.
And while West Coast wants to turn the indigenous match into a special occasion for the club, chief executive Trevor Nisbett has also vowed to continue to fight Fremantle for the cherished Anzac Day slot........

Interesting move by the club, not surprised to see an attempt to move in on the 'Blockbuster' market.

This will definitely twist some Purple panties though - not only are the nasty Eagles suggesting they are 'More Aboriginal' than the proud club that gave us Scott Chisholm, they are also attempting to STEAL the 'Traditional' Len Hall tribute match?!

Oh. My. God. ;)

Well, you'd have to develop some indigenous heritage firstly...

You know like, designing an ochre jumper for that round or something.

why don't they schedule the derby for every anzac day and alternate who gets the home game every year?

Highlights 3 things for me

1. How complacent management have been in trying to get crowds in the past 10 years - just hasn't been needed
2. They've identified a bigger stadium creates more supply and also a risk/opportunity.
3. They are finally making steps, albeit belatedly to actively market the games

Highlights 3 things for me

1. How complacent management have been in trying to get crowds in the past 10 years - just hasn't been needed
2. They've identified a bigger stadium creates more supply and also a risk/opportunity.
3. They are finally making steps, albeit belatedly to actively market the games

If by complacent, you mean they haven't allocated resources ($) to attracting fans to an already-full stadium, then I'm glad that's the case. Personally, I don't see the problem with going to the footy to actually watch your team play football.

It will still be a number of years until we have a new stadium, so I don't see the point.

On ANZAC Day we should play the Swans for the HMAS Sydney Cup, alternate the games between Sydney and Perth. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Pies v Bombers is getting stale IMO, time to mix it up and play several games on ANZAC Day in different cities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If by complacent, you mean they haven't allocated resources ($) to attracting fans to an already-full stadium, then I'm glad that's the case. Personally, I don't see the problem with going to the footy to actually watch your team play football.

It will still be a number of years until we have a new stadium, so I don't see the point.

That's been a bone of contention as well - the stadium isn't full - it's sold out - but not full.

We don't necessarily need to throw heaps of money at it - but simply saying we are selling out a 40k stadium i don't think prepares us for the future. Personally i'd rather us re-allocate our resources that we spend pumping up membership - and spend it on pumping up the games which would still have a +ve impact on membership anyway.

Clubs innovate - freo have had to - to get a crowd and membership.

If we don't act now - then we get swamped - so in 6/7 years time with a new stadium - we may not get the marquee games. The games which could /will bring national attention.

There's no more effective time to market - as when the business is running well

On ANZAC Day we should play the Swans for the HMAS Sydney Cup, alternate the games between Sydney and Perth. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Pies v Bombers is getting stale IMO, time to mix it up and play several games on ANZAC Day in different cities.

This is exactly what was proposed by WCE and Sydney so you are right.

As for the dreamtime suggestion, its a great idea.

WCE are doing so much for aboringinal youth:

There is there leadership program they run for 10 weeks every year for the best 15 year old aboriginal footballers.

Theres the kicking goals program, which has been acknowledged federally as one of the most successful programs of its kind.

Then there's our active sponorship of the Wirrapunda Foundation.

With great help from BHP, Rio Tinto and Phil Narkle running most of these programs, its been a massive change in our approach.

No one else is running programs like this.

This is on top of our academy for our aboriginal listed players.

Free shouldn't get ANZAC day to themselves but we deserve an indigenous round match every year

Tad hypocritical isn't it?

QFT.

Not to mention the 10 year head start West Coast had on Fremantle to build their own traditional game. How about showing some innovation and creating your own blockbuster instead of riding on the hard work of everyone else? Fremantle have the Starlight game every year, what's wrong with West Coast having something similar?

QFT.

Not to mention the 10 year head start West Coast had on Fremantle to build their own traditional game. How about showing some innovation and creating your own blockbuster instead of riding on the hard work of everyone else? Fremantle have the Starlight game every year, what's wrong with West Coast having something similar?
Similar to Fremantle with Starlight, the Eagles have a 'Dig Deep' game every year for the Cancer Council, has raised over $600k in the last 6 years.

Similar to Fremantle with Starlight, the Eagles have a 'Dig Deep' game every year for the Cancer Council, has raised over $600k in the last 6 years.

You mustn't advertise it very well, that's the first time I've heard of it. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Anyway, put on whatever indigenous money spinner you want but you're dreaming if you think you can take our Len Hall game. Only big clubs are allowed to play on Anzac day boys.

Can't see a problem with the eagles having an indigenous round game each year as opposed to the ANZAC day/ round clash.

Freo have put in too much effort to the Len Hall game for it to be piggy backed.

You mustn't advertise it very well, that's the first time I've heard of it.

Some people don't like to attract huge fanfare for doing charitable work...

Only big clubs are allowed to play on Anzac day boys.

Nice troll :thumbsu:

On topic, I don't really care for the concepts. I'm happy for Freo to retain it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back