The Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Surprised there is no thread on these gys.

Gee whiz, what a band.

A plethora of hits, one of the greatest voices of all time in Don Henley (that falsetto!), their melodies are exceptional. Brilliant guitar work (especially once Joe Walsh joined), but Felder was no chump either and without him there is probably no Hotel California.

By most accounts though Frey and Henley were/are massive assholes. Doesn't really bother me though considering the quality of their music.

Who else is a huge fan? Was my very first concert as a 16 year old in 2004.

I've always enjoyed them a lot, although more attached to a few other West Coast Sound contemporaries, especially The Doobie Brothers who are my favourite pre-90s American band.

My most preferred album from them is probably the transitional On the Border and my most personal track is Take it to the Limit (which takes me back to Zoyd Wheeler's midnight runs in Vineland and also being the song I associate most with the Eagles '18 flag). Soft spot for Meisner.

Last edited:

Love them though I actually think Hotel California is overrated. My favourite tracks are Desperado and Take it to the Limit. I have seen them in concert twice.

Love Hotel California, Journey Of The Sorcerer and Take It To The Limit in partiicular, but there are many others I also like. But I hate Desperado, one of the world's all time worst songs.

I have criticised The Eagles on here previously, but in recent years I've warmed up to them some because I decided to revisit their hits.

I will say that they are good to listen to if you're in a relatively relaxed, easygoing frame of mind, and I don't deny that their musicianship and vocal harmonies are very solid. That said, I think their overall sound is too sterile to do them justice, and they've always been very much a singles band.

I thought that Don Henley was a whiny vocalist in the past, and I still think that he is an acquired taste (Glenn Frey, while not as talented, is for mine easier to listen to). That said, I've learnt to appreciate his impressive vocal range and his versatility.

I've always thought that Henley was naturally a bigger arsehole than Frey, but Frey's behaviour while with The Eagles was probably even worse than Henley's from what others have written.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back