The Elephant in The Room: Labour's Male Problem

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Will there be funding to redress the inequality in educational attainment?
Probably not, because the difference between genders is only a couple of percentage points. If you want to improve education levels then it is easier to target along socioeconomic or geographic lines.

You are probably right on jobs strategies but these programs were justified by nonsense statements like -

"women face an uphill battle every day in the workforce"

"Female-dominated industries, such as retail, hospitality and the arts, were hit the hardest by the pandemic, while women were also on the front line of essential service delivery in health and education"
Again, if women have been disproportionately impacted then it’s an easy win to target them with measures.

I doubt we'll ever see a Victorian minister for men.
I doubt we’ll ever see a Victoria that needs one.

You have a massive chip on your shoulder about this stuff.

Education and health care benefit the entire community and have investment returns above 10 to 1, significantly higher than infrastructure at 2 to 1 and mining/resources which are often lucky to break even for the taxpayer.

But yeah its all about gender. OP is a donut.

They're also the two industries heavily funded by the state government. But people will see what they want to see.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Or maybe many women don't go into mining, construction, truck driving because they are not inclined to do those jobs.
Even if that's the case, women still do face sexism and sex pests in the workplace.

Of course some men go into education or healthcare roles but there's no government programs and funding encouraging them to redress the gender balance. I'm not saying there should be.
Then don't bring up the point. It's a waste of time.

But the funding aimed solely at women finding jobs is not justified by recent events. Many jobs traditionally performed by men have disappeared such as manufacturing, and IT (outsourced overseas).
The participation rate remains smaller for women, and some never go back after having children.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Interesting that male only discussion groups where one of the topics is bitching about women are being called out (and of course if it leads to violence it’s a problem) but equivalent bitching about men by women is now mainstream and open

Men have have their problems, but toxic female behaviour is ‘a cry for help’ etc

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
University is wasteful spending unless want to make money from international students then its not. You learn more at work force than at university. Mining gave wa a surplus...

Also this topic is about gender as i said in the title. Labors neglect of men who are half of the voting base

no. The coalition lie to men more effectively. They are also seen as the party for older Australians, but a quick glance at recent actual policy shows that to be a lie too

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Education and health care benefit the entire community and have investment returns above 10 to 1, significantly higher than infrastructure at 2 to 1 and mining/resources which are often lucky to break even for the taxpayer.

rationalisation of such services has huge implications for infrastructure. It is infrastructure.

University is wasteful spending unless want to make money from international students then its not. You learn more at work force than at university. Mining gave wa a surplus...

Also this topic is about gender as i said in the title. Labors neglect of men who are half of the voting base

In your case I agree.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting that male only discussion groups where one of the topics is bitching about women are being called out (and of course if it leads to violence it’s a problem) but equivalent bitching about men by women is now mainstream and open

Men have have their problems, but toxic female behaviour is ‘a cry for help’ etc
I don't think you quite understand just how many women have been sexually assaulted or harassed at some point in their lives, or have had some loser man pestering them for sex or sending them photos of their penis. I don't blame women one bit for forming support groups to complain about men given how rampant this ugly behaviour is.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn

we need to diversify.. none of your personality derived muck but we need to carry your health and monetary viability.. clout counts for a lot
mental clout dude.. heaven sent us a brain and we are gonna use it...

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think you quite understand just how many women have been sexually assaulted or harassed at some point in their lives, or have had some loser man pestering them for sex or sending them photos of their penis. I don't blame women one bit for forming support groups to complain about men given how rampant this ugly behaviour is.
you are trying to play with gum on your shoe aren't ya....

Labour dont fight for men anymore the majority of the workforce (may change to be equal but still the majority). Look at what labour proposes

More education funding---> majority female dominated field
More healthcare funding ----> majority female dominated field

Renewable energy funding--> a slight majority female (full of environmentalist)
Science --> male although shifting rapidly
Hospitality ---> female field

Do labour even support construction any more? Only support comes from unions who are increasingly losing support since the 1900s

Liberals

Oil and gas funding ---> male dominated field
Mining funding ---> male dominated field

Construction/trades funding ---> male field (this what LNP is slowly tapping into)
Mental health funding ---> female

So while LNP have a women problem labour has a men problem. I mean when you push education and healthcare and climate funding as a priority your are backhanding males.
God what a rambling sookfest that was.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So while LNP have a women problem labour has a men problem. I mean when you push education and healthcare and climate funding as a priority your are backhanding males.

The entire future of Australia rests on getting as many people to graduate with an Arts degree as possible. Its those intelligent, hard working and productive people who pay the taxes that allow the rest of society to have a decent standard of living.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

I do understand. While most women will have experienced such things, a substantial portion of men have never engaged in such behaviour.

It’s not surprising, popular media is for a female audience. Mostly that’s not a problem.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I do understand. While most women will have experienced such things, a substantial portion of men have never engaged in such behaviour.
Correct. But, you have a problem with women complaining openly about men and the treatment they receive from them, when the problem of men harassing women is far greater than than of women harassing men. They're not comparable.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Correct. But, you have a problem with women complaining openly about men and the treatment they receive from them, when the problem of men harassing women is far greater than than of women harassing men. They're not comparable.

I think my original note was about men only ‘safe spaces’ being mocked. Otherwise I agree with you more than you think. The spectrum of behaviour is much wider than the harassment issue.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think my original note was about men only ‘safe spaces’ being mocked. Otherwise I agree with you more than you think. The spectrum of behaviour is much wider than the harassment issue.
That's good that you understand. I don't think men's safe spaces should be mocked, but it is concerning if they're spaces for spewing misogynist BS rather than being for mutual support.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
How on earth could somebody make health and education about sex?

Last time I checked both men and women go to school and hospital equally.

Government services are about the services, not about the jobs (though both parties have been banging on about "jobs created" by things like infrastructure projects).

This is one of the worst political takes I've seen in a long time by someone who doesn't even know the name of one of only two major parties.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How on earth could somebody make health and education about sex?

Last time I checked both men and women go to school and hospital equally.
Actually, no. Per capita, we spend slightly more on women than men for both education and health. Mostly on account of the fact that your average woman is more likely to finish highschool, obtain a tertiary qualification, birth a baby, and live longer than your average man.

That said, the difference is trivial and obviously characterising health and education policy as gendered is stupid.

Back