The end of 2019

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Twenty-one regular players are out of contract at the end of 2019.
It is a large number, by anyone's standard. It is a concern.
Rival clubs would be insane not to try and recruit some of our better players by offering lucrative contracts to undermine us.
Here is a list of the players I think must be retained at all costs for 2020.
Vlaustin, Ellis, Butler, Castagna, Edwards, Astbury, Rioli, Lambert, McIntosh, Broad, Balta, Soldo, Moore.
Best wishes.

Rival clubs would be insane not to try and recruit some of our better players by offering lucrative contracts to undermine us.
Vlaustin, Ellis, Butler, Castagna, Edwards, Astbury, Rioli, Lambert, McIntosh, Broad, Balta, Soldo, Moore.
Best wishes.

It's a interesting situation we find ourselves in but I think a lot on that list could be traded.

My must keeps would be:
Vlastuin
Astbury
Rioli
Lambert
Edwards
Balta
Castagna / butler (think we can afford to lose 1 if push came to shove)

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
It's a interesting situation we find ourselves in but I think a lot on that list could be traded.

My must keeps would be:
Vlastuin
Astbury
Rioli
Lambert
Edwards
Balta
Castagna / butler (think we can afford to lose 1 if push came to shove)

Vlaustuin , Rioli, Astbury are the priorities on that list. Lambert after that. Edwards won’t leave at this point of his career.

I think it will be another big cull next season as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vlaustuin , Rioli, Astbury are the priorities on that list. Lambert after that. Edwards won’t leave at this point of his career.

I think it will be another big cull next season as well.

Yeah agree. How old is edwards now?

If Rioli spends more time in the middle Edwards could pass the baton to him in the coming years.

I still think edwards creativity is vital for us though.

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Thanks for the comments, it is a concern.
It is virtually half of the list.
A handful of those players could potentially be poached by rival clubs offering say $600-700K per annum.
I mentioned 13 of 21 to be retained because we cannot cut too deeply.
Eight players could go as a minimum.
But it's something that has to be addressed, otherwise we could lose stars like Vlaustin and Rioli.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
A handful of those players could potentially be poached by rival clubs offering say $600-700K per annum.
But it's something that has to be addressed, otherwise we could lose stars like Vlaustin and Rioli.
Now can you name the 8 that could be culled , just curios

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

It’ll be interesting for sure but Rioli and Vlaustin are key of that group , be interesting to see how Balta develops . No so fussed on George but reAlly like Butlers unpredictability. Modern footy means some heartbreak ( as we well know !!).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 24, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Best wishes.

I don’t see it as an issue. Average contracts are 2-3 years. So you’re going to have 1/3 to one half turning over every year, throw in those on one year extensions and it’s easy to have a heap out of contract

Not sure they all qualify as regular players either.

The club has plenty of time to do deals and now that next years newbies are done the club can turn its mind to it.

Of those above I can’t see
Vlastuin, Edwards,astbury, roili, Lambert are going anywhere. And whilst I don’t want to see the rest go, they more fill the role player for my liking than being core to the team. (I’m sure others will have a different view)

My must keeps:
Vlastuin
Edwards
Astbury
Rioli
Lambert
McIntosh
Balta
CCJ
Garthwaite
Naish
Miller

Should stay but could also be traded/retire:
Ellis
Grigg
Butler
Castagna
Houli

Need big seasons:
Bolton
Moore
Menadue
Soldo
Baker
Weller
Townsend
Chol

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Looking forward to Richmond signing up Vlastuin and Rioli long term. The list will be in good shape when this happens with much of 'the core' locked away on multiyear deals.

587330_d51cb67eb5931be513e4839543f300a0.png

Astbury wont want to leave either. He and Titch are Tigers for life i think.

Last edited:

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Twenty-one players out of 44 is a lot of players out of contract in one year.
We would be naive to think opposition teams would not try to undermine us by offering lucrative salaries to the very best.
The players I did not mention in the middle band are the ones I personally believe could be let go if push comes to shove.
587330_d51cb67eb5931be513e4839543f300a0.png

Twenty-one players out of 44 is a lot of players out of contract in one year.
We would be naive to think opposition teams would not try to undermine us by offering lucrative salaries to the very best.
The players I did not mention in the middle band are the ones I personally believe could be let go if push comes to shove.
View attachment 588474
Might want to check that this is correct as this shows we have 38 senior listed players and 6 rookies which equals 44 players. Which would mean we'd only have the 2 Cat B rookie slots open.

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The end of 2019.
There are 21 players in the middle band of the graph who are out of contract.
Go to the list management thread.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Might want to check that this is correct as this shows we have 38 senior listed players and 6 rookies which equals 44 players. Which would mean we'd only have the 2 Cat B rookie slots open.
Currently we have 38 senior players, 4 rookies & 1 Cat B rookie
Weller will take one of those rookie spots in Dec, which leaves one free

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Normal to have half the list out of contract for flexibility. I would expect the list management team to re-sign the high priority signings and to wait and see on the others. We may lose one or two fringe players to other clubs because of better offers elsewhere.

High priority signings
Rioli, Astbury, Lambert, Balta, CCJ, Naish, Garthwaite, Butler

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
No shows 38 senior players and 5 Cat A rookies (I have included Weller). Derek Eggmolesse-Smith is a Cat B rookie.

rfc4eva

Team Captain
May 29, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Normal to have half the list out of contract for flexibility. I would expect the list management team to re-sign the high priority signings and to wait and see on the others. We may lose one or two fringe players to other clubs because of better offers elsewhere.

High priority signings
Rioli, Astbury, Lambert, Balta, CCJ, Naish, Garthwaite, Butler

Vlaustin?

No shows 38 senior players and 5 Cat A rookies (I have included Weller). Derek Eggmolesse-Smith is a Cat B rookie.
Pretty sure Eggmolesse-Smith is only Cat B for the first year. After that he reverts to being a normal rookie.

No CatB rookies have 3 years to be upgraded. Same as Soldo previously.
Cheers, thought Cat B were only eligible as a Cat B for their initial year, then they became normal rookies

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
I've mentioned it a few times but I think the club has no intention on retaining Ellis given he's a RFA and will net us a 1st round pick - which we wouldn't get on the open market.

Smart list management if that's what we can get.

RFCGloryJC

Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
I just hope the key players are retained.
It will call for a cool appraisal of the list and leeway to offer pay rises.
Opposition teams would be mad not to try and cherry pick one or two of the best.

Back