Universal Love The End Of An ERA

With McVeigh, Jack, Grundy and Smith all finishing up today, I feel like it would only be an appropriate to start up a thread celebrating their achievements at the club.

There is no chance we would of had the success we have had over the last decade if these players didn't come to the club and for all of their faults at times always gave the club 110%.

Thanks for everything McVeigh, Smith, Grundy and Jack! I honestly hope to see you all stay around the club in some capacity moving forward!

Sketi

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2011
depreston
AFL Club
Sydney
I think that is the only time I have teared up at the end of a footy game, and I daresay most Swans fans would have.

Seeing 4 such stalwarts off really made me appreciate what a great era this has been. The 2012 premiership was created by an amazing team culture and these guys were at the core of it.

Today was just awesome. Seeing Jack (and Macca) slot that goal will be one of my most best memories in sport.

Loved that Hanners was there too and helped chair off McVeigh. Just great scenes after the game.

Notice the players all yelling out for Horse to join the circle for the song too. I've been a knocker at times but you can't deny the players love him.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
I couldn’t be there today for a range of reasons, but I have to admit I got a bit emotional watching the game online. I still remember being at the SCG the night we farewelled Crouch, Leo and Micky O in 2009 and that was magical, I imagine today would have been similar for those who were there. If anything today would have been even more special as I believe it was the first time we’ve had the opportunity to farewell two club greats who were both local products. Hopefully the next group of players can keep the club’s culture going into the future.

I have to say Fox Footy’s post-siren coverage was excellent, they did a great job in capturing the scenes from the SCG. Some terrific images on Twitter also.

They have all been great
It’s odd because you look at say Goodes he played in a losing final last so doesn’t get the farewell. So almost better this way. We saw a few just fade like okeefe etc, or Jude in a losing final

This was a terrific way to say goodbye to four club legends only way it could be better would be if Grundy and smith could have played.

These guys going makes me feel old, Burgoyne only guy older than me in the comp now.

Watching them all has been different

Smith I admit I often didnt notice until I rewatched or really focused or if he was missing, just quietly did a great job. Reminded me of a good wicket keeper , don’t notice them if they consistently do everything

Jack- I’ve been critical as he faded but his best was brilliant and to come from his background adds to the story , son of a rugby legend was all you heard early days, became a premier midfielder in the comp

Grundy came in for a favourite of mine quite a bit early in nick Davis and I was like why’s nick out for this guy, then next thing he becomes this great defender , his combo with ted was great and Grundy was big in big games , grand finals finals and even big clashes like v the eagles a year or so ago IIRC correctly
I felt like reg could star even if Sydney were being beaten
Of these 4 I felt outside of Sydney he didn’t get the accolades he should, should have multiple all Australians is one of the best one on one defenders I’ve seen

McVeigh is a real spirit of the club type and a great ambassador on and off the field. I think the leader he became was exceptional one of the swans great captains imo up there with Kirk kelly skilton etc imo

Plus his play became elite, he went from a slightly lazy half forward mid to elite rebounding half back player

Just so proud of all 4 they shaped this club and all leave a lasting mark and legacy on what is really our greatest era as a club

We took them for granted a lot, especially Reg and Smith. Just having two guys who were so ridiculously reliable that you just never had to worry about them. That's the dream when you draft a young defender? That they'll just settle into their role and nail it for a solid decade with no fuss?

The dream becomes a little nightmarish when you think about how the best defender of the last decade (does Scarlett count as this decade? I don't think so) never got an All Australian.

Was so happy to see Reg and Smith also get the lap of honour and also get carried off. Great day after a great era for the club.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

hashdag

Draftee
Sep 16, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
A sensational day yesterday. A couple of things I loved were the crowds reaction to Hannebery when he (and the other Saints) players went up the race after chairing the boys off. Thousands near the members gave him a standing ovation. The deserved send off of a revered member of that 2012 team that he unfortunately never got at the end of his swans playing days.

There were a few familiar faces around at the end as well, LRT, looking just as fit (gangly?) as ever, Stuart Maxfield, Paul Williams, laughing and joking with Brett Kirk, Micky O and big Ball and Coxy (sorry couldn’t resist), 2005/6 champs of both persuasions. Almost everyone embraced Hannebery, even Harley and Horse (although it seemed a little awkward with the last two although that could be my projection). It seemed like the final hurrah of those two glorious years when Pridham and his predecessor Dick embraced as they went down the race. What a day!

A sensational day yesterday. A couple of things I loved were the crowds reaction to Hannebery when he (and the other Saints) players went up the race after chairing the boys off. Thousands near the members gave him a standing ovation. The deserved send off of a revered member of that 2012 team that he unfortunately never got at the end of his swans playing days.

There were a few familiar faces around at the end as well, LRT, looking just as fit (gangly?) as ever, Stuart Maxfield, Paul Williams, laughing and joking with Brett Kirk, Micky O and big Ball and Coxy (sorry couldn’t resist), 2005/6 champs of both persuasions. Almost everyone embraced Hannebery, even Harley and Horse (although it seemed a little awkward with the last two although that could be my projection). It seemed like the final hurrah of those two glorious years when Pridham and his predecessor Dick embraced as they went down the race. What a day!

Great post. Spot on comments. These resonated with my sense (just watching on the telly) of the great feeling for Hanners.

Please visit more frequently.

Well summed up by everyone above, couldn't have scripted the final game better than what happened. Post match was sensational, congrats to Fox for staying with it rather than cutting to the Cats pre-match.

So much love everywhere post match, so many old faces turned out, it was great, much better than going out first week of finals!

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

I didn’t see Hanneberys interaction with Harley but I thought it was very warm with Horse and not awkward at all.

deflated

Team Captain
Jul 14, 2004
Nowhere near home
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Les Expos
So is there any word on any of the four trying to get into coaching or working at the club now they're done? Smith would be more than handy with pointers for the kids on positioning in the defensive 50.

Back