Prediction The entirely arbitrary and pointless Luke Jackson posterity circlejerk

What will Luke Jackson become

• Total voters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marc_Remillard

Angel of the Abyss
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Up until a couple of weeks ago I didn't even know who Jackson was, but I don't watch any underage footy at all, just the youtube clips everyone posts.

I guess that makes me a bigfooty expert...

GatesOfHell

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was in the ‘against column’ initially but have swung around. He’s got all the tools to be the next Brodie Grundy who is currently in my estimation the best player in the country.

Jackson will defy the skeptics and see out a decent 8-10 career at the Demons before returning to WA in his late 20’s. Before he goes we will have won at least two premierships and he will have won the Norm Smith in at least one of those.

All aboard the Luke Jackson train. Woooo-wooooo!!

Last edited:

harry000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I was in the ‘against column’ initially but Uve swung around. He’s got all the tools to be the next Brodie Grundy who is currently in my estimation the best player in the country.

Jackson will defy the skeptics and see out a decent 8-10 career at the Demons before returning to WA in his late 20’s. Before he goes we will have won at least two premierships and Luke Jackson will have won the Norm Smith in at least one of them.

There you go.
Gawn traded to GWS for Lachie Whitfield and Jeremy Cameron?

Topkent

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Also we can trade Preuss. We got him for stuff all, play him for another year or 2 and we could trade him for more value than we got him for. No reason we couldn't go to GWS next year and get a pick in the 30s for him.

TheCount

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I finally got around to actually watching some vision of Jackson ... so obviously I'm an expert now.

Two observations, I'll preface the first by admitting I haven't put much time into these clips the last few years since we haven't had picks ... but the last player I remember watching clips of who moves that cleanly through congestion is Oliver. Guys Jackson's size don't move like that ...

Also, I've seen plenty mention that he's not much of a kick, and while I don't think there is enough evidence to suggest he's good or bad, but what I am surprised that no one has mentioned is that he seems to be duel sided, which doesn't seem to come around that often for any sort of players, let alone a ruckman

Topkent

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I finally got around to actually watching some vision of Jackson ... so obviously I'm an expert now.

Two observations, I'll preface the first by admitting I haven't put much time into these clips the last few years since we haven't had picks ... but the last player I remember watching clips of who moves that cleanly through congestion is Oliver. Guys Jackson's size don't move like that ...

Also, I've seen plenty mention that he's not much of a kick, and while I don't think there is enough evidence to suggest he's good or bad, but what I am surprised that no one has mentioned is that he seems to be duel sided, which doesn't seem to come around that often for any sort of players, let alone a ruckman
I think people are being really stupid if they think we are just picking him at 3 because he's a decent ruck project. He's a serious talent.

mickent1

Rookie
Aug 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne

Exactly. How many kids do you see winning their own footy like that and breaking away with that sort of agility and speed at his height? Pretty much Naitanui and no one else. And agree on his kicking. He looks fine, especially for a ruckman and his left looks very capable too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gysberts2Bate

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also we can trade Preuss. We got him for stuff all, play him for another year or 2 and we could trade him for more value than we got him for. No reason we couldn't go to GWS next year and get a pick in the 30s for him.
I reckon a team in the flag window that doesn't have a ruck (Geelong for example) would be stupid enough to give us a pick in the late teens/early twenties for Preuss if he gets some exposure next year and the draft is as compromised as they say. I'm happy to keep him though, having three quality rucks on the list is better than having two, and it actually doesn't hurt us. Curious to see how his hugely improved fitness translates to play. I expect he'll go berserk in the VFL next year at the very least given how dominant he already was.

Topkent

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I reckon a team in the flag window that doesn't have a ruck (Geelong for example) would be stupid enough to give us a pick in the late teens/early twenties for Preuss if he gets some exposure next year and the draft is as compromised as they say. I'm happy to keep him though, having three quality rucks on the list is better than having two, and it actually doesn't hurt us. Curious to see how his hugely improved fitness translates to play. I expect he'll go berserk in the VFL next year at the very least given how dominant he already was.
Yeah if he improves even just a little someone will come in for him.

GatesOfHell

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jackson’s arrival will also allow us the luxury of deploying Gawn to the goalsquare for short 3-5 minute bursts here and there. I don’t care who the defender is - a 208cm Gawn is a nightmare match up at any stage of a contest. Add Pickett buzzing around his feet and suddenly the attack looks more than dangerous.

Weid and TMac will also benefit from his presence as opposition defences have to shuffle to accommodate this new 200cm wunderkind patrolling our forward 50. Jackson potentially unlocks a whole slew of options for us forward of centre.

TheBoss

All Australian
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jackson is not being recruited to play ruck.

GWS would have to shed salary to get Preuss, and that is if he'd agree to relocate. Besides, Preuss is still being groomed as Gawn's successor.

blitznu

Club Legend
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Still waiting for our top 10 pick for Frost. There isnt a chance in hell we get an early second for Preuss playing after a Gawn injury. If Jackson is capable next year we'll surely let him go to get rid of his cash if he wanted to move

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jackson is not being recruited to play ruck.

GWS would have to shed salary to get Preuss, and that is if he'd agree to relocate. Besides, Preuss is still being groomed as Gawn's successor.
Yep. From what little I've seen of him, looks more like he's being recruited as a mobile key forward. His kicking looks rather crap though - he's just hacking it forward. Hardly surprising out of traffic, but not really highlight reel stuff.

stEdy

All Australian
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'll be able to stomach the Jackson at 3 thing if we pick up a proven high production slider at 10. Young/Serong/Flanders/Kemp would be good.

Reaching for a small forward at 10 would scream "not best available"

Marc_Remillard

Angel of the Abyss
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep. From what little I've seen of him, looks more like he's being recruited as a mobile key forward. His kicking looks rather crap though - he's just hacking it forward. Hardly surprising out of traffic, but not really highlight reel stuff.
If Stewie Lowe learnt how to kick anyone can

Pee Tear Griffin

Club Legend
May 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Golden State, New York Jets
If we could guarantee getting Young at 10 then I'd have no qualms with picking Jackson at 3. I just really, really want Young. I don't think too many would disagree with me when I say that elite kicking and class is probably the most pressing need in our team of blue-collar ball butcherers.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
If Stewie Lowe learnt how to kick anyone can
Given all the blokes who are rubbish kicks and don't seem to get any better, seems Stuey Loewe might be a rarity. Maybe Jackson is brilliant, but he seems like a bit of a throwback to the days of drafting athletes and hoping they learn to football.

Top Bottom