The Erin v Daisy Debate!

Remove this Banner Ad

How so? The quality and depth in women's football has improved dramatically in the last 7 years. My suggestion is entirely plausible.

So want to base this discussion on one game?
By your logic, Dawn Fraser was just an average swimmer because the top women today do the 100m freestyle about 10 seconds faster.

But your suggestion is even dumber than that, because there are like 3 current AFLW players (probably zero in the leagues below) who can kick off their opposite foot as well as Pearce could.

How about we base the discussion on reality. And yes, that one game in itself emphatically counters your claim that Pearce was "an average footballer". Could say the same for just about any game she played, even very late in her career, like this one:

just watching those highlights -

at .45secs, is that Anne Hatchard laying the huge bump? What an absolute body transformation from 6 years ago!
Craziest part is most of that transformation took place within the next 6 months or so, excluding the tattoos.

Craziest part is most of that transformation took place within the next 6 months or so, excluding the tattoos.

18 months, really. Hatchard's transformation from big-bodied defender/backup ruck into extremely fit midfielder occurred between the 2018 and 2019 seasons.

To be fair, she was a bit smaller in 2018, but the bulk of the weight loss came after that season. From memory, she came into 2019 around 8kg lighter than her initial draft weight.

Last edited:
So Daisy already has the VFLW B&F named jointly after her, and now the Melbourne AFLW B&F solely in her honour.

Maybe the Crows would've done the same for Erin if she didn't finish up at Port Adelaide, rather than just granting her life membership last night. Nevertheless the acrobatics last week by the AFL--bringing her up on stage before the game to thank North Melbourne and Brisbane supporters, rather than simply naming the grand final BOG after her--was very weird.

I just find it hard to compare them. Mainly because daisy did the bulk of her career in the VFLW. And Phillips didn't really play the game for over 10 yrs.

Who achieved the most in football -Daisy
Who achieved the most at AFLW level -phillips
More skill and higher footy IQ - daisy
Better forward -phillips
Better mid - Daisy
Better leader - daisy
Better defender - daisy would be a HBF, less physical but would set up play better. Phillips ability to be key position but also burst out of defence. Would probably blow up after awhile.
Who has done more to grow the game - 50/50 split. Maybe daisy due to the length of time playing the game in and around Melbourne. But if on a national level, Phillips

If they both had the opportunity to play AFLW from 18yrs old who would be the better player -probably the real question and it's too tough to tell but just personally I'd choice daisy. I think her VFLW football would have been better than what Phillips achieved at AFLW level

If they both had the opportunity to play AFLW from 18yrs old who would be the better player -probably the real question and it's too tough to tell but just personally I'd choice daisy. I think her VFLW football would have been better than what Phillips achieved at AFLW level

John Cahill (10x SANFL premiership coach) said that Erin Phillips was the best 14 year old footballer he had ever seen -

I think if the two had equal access from the same age to elite pathways and training, Erin would have come out well on top

John Cahill (10x SANFL premiership coach) said that Erin Phillips was the best 14 year old footballer he had ever seen -

I think if the two had equal access from the same age to elite pathways and training, Erin would have come out well on top
Yeh I've heard he said that. He's obviously accomplished and knows football but I just dunno if he really thinks that's true. I reckon he just got a bit carried away. Better than alot of the boys of the same age yep I can see that. But best..ever.. But yes anyone saying Phillips wouldn't be wrong. There's no wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back