The Erin v Daisy Debate!

Remove this Banner Ad

Daisy. If Erin had of played top level SA women's football or vflw instead of basketball she could have achieved what Daisy has. On paper erin has had the better aflw career. Daisy a better footballer.

Daisy. If Erin had of played top level SA women's football or vflw instead of basketball she could have achieved what Daisy has. On paper erin has had the better aflw career. Daisy a better footballer.
Daisy is the Chris Judd of women's footy

Best is the best. But we have not seen anywhere near enough of it

Erin is as close as I've seen to a bona fide footballer at AFLW level.

Pearce would struggle to get a kick in VAFA D Grade reserves, she'd be monstored out of contests.
Oh how generous to say she's almost a bona fide footballer.

* off with that s**t.

Erin has announced this weekend will be her last game

F9ucXplbkAAL3u2

As noted earlier - no debate

Just for those who don't know/recall, the dealio with the 2019 GF BOG was that one nincompoop put Davey ahead of Hatchard in his votes.

In such a drubbing, ya gotta give the 3 and 2 to the winning team, which would've changed the result.

It wasn't a situation where Phillips or some other player was visually mistaken for Hatchard, and nabbed votes that way. Stories for another time.
You made me go looking at who it was. Never heard of him, but here's his foot cv

2000-2006 - Opposition Scout for Carlton
2008-2011 - Opposition Coach/Performance Analyst for Carlton
2011-2017 - Opposition Coach/Game Analyst for Gold Coast
2018-2019 - Umpire/Game Analyst for AFL
2020 - Womens List Manager for Carlton
2021-2022 - General Manager of Womens Football for Carlton
2023 - Accredited Player Agent

I mean, hadn't been with Carlton for 8 years at that stage. But there'd be a heavy Carlton bias in there...

Yeah, they were the only one to vote for Davey as well.

Josh Vanderloo: 3. Hatchard, 2. Phillips, 1. Randall
Brett Munro: 3. Phillips, 2. Davey, 1. Hatchard
Mark Soderstrom: 3. Hatchard, 2. Phillips, 1. J. Foley
Liz Walsh: 3. J. Foley, 2. Hatchard, 3. Phillips
Jo Wotton: 3. Phillips, 2. Randall, 1. Hatchard

Final tally:

11 votes - Phillips
10 votes - Hatchard
4 votes - J. Foley
3 votes - Randall
2 votes - Davey

Brianna Davey had a fine game (22 touches and a goal) but even so, I agree that she didn't belong ahead of Hatchard (23 touches and a goal) given how one-sided the game was. On the other hand, fancy Liz Walsh voting Jess Foley as BOG! She was good, but come on.

All five people had both Hatchard and Phillips in their votes, and three of them had Hatchard ahead. Crazy that she somehow ended up behind!
At the end of the game I was standing there going

Top 3 is obviously Foley/Hatchard/Phillips.

And as much as I knew Phillips was dominating and would've won if she hadn't got injured. Missing over a quarter had me thinking she might just miss out.

But ultimately, I believe I leant to 3. Foley, 2. Phillips, 1. Hatchard.

You made me go looking at who it was. Never heard of him, but here's his foot cv

2000-2006 - Opposition Scout for Carlton
2008-2011 - Opposition Coach/Performance Analyst for Carlton
2011-2017 - Opposition Coach/Game Analyst for Gold Coast
2018-2019 - Umpire/Game Analyst for AFL
2020 - Womens List Manager for Carlton
2021-2022 - General Manager of Womens Football for Carlton
2023 - Accredited Player Agent

I mean, hadn't been with Carlton for 8 years at that stage. But there'd be a heavy Carlton bias in there...
Yeah well bias aside, if there was any doubt about his grasp of women's football, look no further than the stint at Carlton after that grand final. Dealing with somebody who prioritised a 29yo Vescio over a 22yo Prespakis... yikes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many games both girls played in their professional careers . . . 70 games or less?
Depends on how we're defining professionalism. Could be argued both "girls" are the definition of professionalism.

If it's senior games of football you're after, I said this in post #9:
I believe Daisy played 188 senior games for Darebin and 13 for Victoria, in addition to the 55 AFLW games for Melbourne.

So that comes to 256, not including the 7 exhibition games for Melbourne which were fair dinkum, and roughly the same amount of Vic U19 games which were played against senior opposition. And two IR games for Australia.

Erin finishes up with 66 AFLW matches, meaning she and her father combined for exactly 150 senior games in leagues falling under the AFL umbrella.

Daisy Pearce is massively overrated in my opinion.

Yes, she did a lot for women's football behind the scenes, but as a player she was just an average footballer. Massively over hyped by the Vic media who were desperate to find a player at a Vic club to compare to Erin. She wasn't even the best player at Melbourne (Karen Paxman)!

Erin achieved far more on the field in the AFLW. She was THE dominant player in the first few years of AFLW.

That said, I think there are a number of players around the AFLW that have reached or even surpassed Erin's level now: Hatchy and Noffy at the Crows, Paxman, Conti, Blackburn, etc.

Last edited:
Yes, she did a lot for women's football behind the scenes, but as a player she was just an average footballer. Massively over hyped by the Vic media who were desperate to find a player at a Vic club to compare to Erin. She wasn't even the best player at Melbourne (Karen Paxman)!
Your timeline is a bit screwed up there, mate. Pearce earned her reputation as a great player while dominating the VWFL and the best-of-the-best exhibition games. Btw, even at AFLW level, she's won more club B&Fs than Paxman (not voted on by the media).

True she did plenty behind the scenes. But the fact of the matter is that players like her, Harris, Antonio and Randall were awesome in those showpiece games, prompting Gill to push the AFLW start date forward from 2020. We would've then missed out on Phillips' 2 best seasons!

Women's Div 1 amateurs footy is probably a higher standard in 2023 than the VWFL was 10-15 years ago. Apples and Oranges.
That's dumb.

Regardless, we can compare Pearce and Phillips in the game they played against each other before their respective pregnancy and knee injury:

Adelaide2.13.13.15.232Sat 11-Mar-2017 5:40 pmMarrara Stadium
Melbourne0.02.14.35.434Melbourne won by 2 points5,100

Votes:
3 Daisy Pearce (MELB)2 Erin Phillips (ADEL)1 Courtney Cramey (ADEL)

Basic stats:
PlayerGBDKHMTHOTCMGGAToG%
Erin Phillips002017323053090100
Daisy Pearce10201373102351089
Advanced stats:
PlayerAFCMi50sFFFACCSIIPTi50DE%CPUP
Erin Phillips791640103160116
Daisy Pearce692301034065713

Remove this Banner Ad

Back