the everitt conundrum?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2000
melbourne (saints)
for the last couple of years the debate to trade everitt gets more heated amongst saints fans. there are those that point out that spider is our current best and fairest winner and correctly state that we can not replace a quality tap ruckman who can go forward and win a game off his own boot.

the other side of the argument is that the gulf between spiders best and worst is getting larger. he rarely takes an overhead mark and the words 2nd effort are as foreign to him as sunscreen is to an eskimo. he continues to embarass himself and the club in the media and he constantly hurts the team on the field with pathetic indescretions. for a bloke thats close to being the highest paid player at the club his undisciplined acts on the field combined with his diminishing output highlight the fact that he is now a liability.

we have a good group of youngsters who will make an impact on the competition in a few years time. should we plan for tomorrow and trade spider for another high draft pick whilst his market value is still high?

How viable are Knobel and Capuano? The former doesn't seem to get much game time and the latter always seems to be injured.

Originally posted by rednugget
Send him to the Bombers please,we'll have him!

I have always been against trading spider and i'm not on the bandwagon yet, but after his performance yesterday and subsequent discussion on the saint site, i'm beginning to be swayed. If Essendon do want him that badly than IMO, and going with our recruiting policy (under 25 and will play more than 100 games for the club), a tough nut like Solomon (is he 25 or under???) and a first round draft (used on a ruckman) pick would be my go. Do you think that is too steep a price to pay??
Maybe spider needs another nutter like Sheeds to sort him out!!! :p :D

Originally posted by MightySaint

I have always been against trading spider and i'm not on the bandwagon yet, but after his performance yesterday and subsequent discussion on the saint site, i'm beginning to be swayed. If Essendon do want him that badly than IMO, and going with our recruiting policy (under 25 and will play more than 100 games for the club), a tough nut like Solomon (is he 25 or under???) and a first round draft (used on a ruckman) pick would be my go. Do you think that is too steep a price to pay??

Trading Soloman would be a bit like robbing Peter to Pay Paul. After losing Hardwick we couldn't afford to give up another tough backman, but you can have your choice of Heffernan, Caracella, McVeigh, infact take them all.

Do you think that is too steep a price to pay??

Not at all! I'm sure you would rather someone that puts in every week instead of this half-@rsed approach that has become a little too regular part of Everitt's game. Let's get something for him while his stock is relatively still high amongst other clubs, although they have to be having some doubts too. If anything is to be done it's at the end of this season or else it'll be too late.

Trading Soloman would be a bit like robbing Peter to Pay Paul. After losing Hardwick we couldn't afford to give up another tough backman, but you can have your choice of Heffernan, Caracella, McVeigh, infact take them all.

I can see where you are coming from. The problem IMO, is that our needs for next season is for one of these two. A classy, tough medium sized backman or a tough forward in the Hammill mode to protect the Reiwoldts, Kosis, Maguires, Schwartze, Dal Santos etc. Emphasis on TOUGH

Does Essendon have anyone who they are willing to trade who fits this mould and is 25 or under?

Does Essendon have anyone who they are willing to trade who fits this mould and is 25 or under?

Possibly Lucas, he's not really tough though. But he's is pretty good player once his confidence is up.

It's tough when you have a quality player who under-performs. You want to trade him before he devalues or walks out, but the rub is a change of environment may wake him up.

McKernan seems to have done that at Carlton. He hasn't set the world on fire, but he's at least twice as good as his last year at North.

What you want is a win/win trade. We'll give you Dimattina and McKee for Everitt and say, Koschitzke (or Riewoldt if you insist) and we'll both be happy (until the drugs wear off).;)

Actually I think he needs a decent coach to bring out his best. I reckon you'd really regret trading him now and see him play another five years of good footy elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind swapping Spiders with North Melbourne. i think their spider is playing much better and more consistantly than our spider.
A Geelong supporter asked me at quarter time if Everitt was fit. Good question, as he couldnt match it against Steven King either at ruck contests or around the ground. On one occasion King ran away from Everitt WITH THE BALL!!!!
I think Spider, like Nicky, and Plugger, needs to go. He just cant get it together at the Saints and it would be a pity to see such a great talent waste his opportunity nearing the end of his career.

Originally posted by Joffaboy
I wouldn't mind swapping Spiders with North Melbourne. i think their spider is playing much better and more consistantly than our spider.

I agree Joffaboy, I think North currently have the best Spider in the league. Everitt seems to me to be another one of those players that needs to be at another club, and I think with the amount of quality youngsters you have he is not the good influence you would have hoped.

If you take out all salary and salary cap considerations I wouldn't swap our Spider for your Spider, knowing that he could quite possibly make that decision look stupid by turning his career around to it's former glory. The fact he is on a huge wage compared to our Spider would make the trade even more unlikely.

Moomba

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't trade our Spider for your Spider, but how about Spider for Porter? With Burton holding down the ruck position pretty comfortably, Porter hasn't been able to settle into the side properly and he could be the ruckman you need. Porter needs to ruck all the time to get the best out of him - his ten minute cameos for the Roos aren't doing him any good. However, you will also lose a tall player who can drift forward and get goals (neither Burton or Porter have Everitt's goal kicking ability). We'd have to throw in a draft pick and/or a player as well to balance up the trade.

Originally posted by Shinboners

I wouldn't trade our Spider for your Spider, but how about Spider for Porter? With Burton holding down the ruck position pretty comfortably, Porter hasn't been able to settle into the side properly and he could be the ruckman you need. Porter needs to ruck all the time to get the best out of him - his ten minute cameos for the Roos aren't doing him any good. However, you will also lose a tall player who can drift forward and get goals (neither Burton or Porter have Everitt's goal kicking ability). We'd have to throw in a draft pick and/or a player as well to balance up the trade.

That's a good trade for all concerned. :)

Originally posted by Falchoon

Swap you for French and Nick Stevens?

What would you want Spider for anyway?

Wrong Stevens.

Spider is a very very good player, however for him to produce he needs to change clubs willingly.
If he goes willingly, in particular interstate, he will put in and be in the top ten in the AFL. If he stays or transfers unwillingly, then he will just keep plodding along.
At Port, a dedicated Everitt along with Primus and co. will improve the side immensely, if Pavlich tags along as well, then the Tall department will possibly be the best ever.

Originally posted by PAfolwr

Wrong Stevens.

Spider is a very very good player, however for him to produce he needs to change clubs willingly.
If he goes willingly, in particular interstate, he will put in and be in the top ten in the AFL. If he stays or transfers unwillingly, then he will just keep plodding along.
At Port, a dedicated Everitt along with Primus and co. will improve the side immensely, if Pavlich tags along as well, then the Tall department will possibly be the best ever.

Surely you couldn't fit them all in under the cap, could you?

Originally posted by Shinboners

Good proposition Shinboners, however the Saints have a plethora of Porter type ruckmen in Knobel and Capuano, plus a young kid, whose name eludes me at the moment (help please any Saint supporters).
However if you throw in King and Archer, I just might be tempted ;) ;)

Good proposition Shinboners, however the Saints have a plethora of Porter type ruckmen in Knobel and Capuano, plus a young kid, whose name eludes me at the moment (help please any Saint supporters).

Is the kid's surname Oliver?

The problem with Capuano is that he's injury prone. If he ever stayed fit, he never would have left Arden Street. I don't know much about Knobel, but with Porter, he stays fit - he just needs game time.

How about sending Reiwoldt and Kosi our way in return? ;) ;)

Do you mean Chris Oliver? If so, then he is probably more of a forward rather than ruck prospect.

If Archer was 5 years younger (is he 30 now?), then i'd swap him for Spider without blinking.

The question is - who is more important, Peter or Paul?

Which do you need more

Option 1) Physically imposing players in the Hardwick mold and the first round pick

Option 2) Potentially brilliant, but messed up players like Everitt

IMO there is merit in both, however, if i was in your position i would take option 1. What would the bomber supporters choose?

I've always been a strong advocate of keeping Spider at the club and while I still think along those lines, he was terrible yesterday.

I mean any player can have an off game and particularly against a top ruckman like King but his attitude against Geelong wasn't good enough.

Even if St Kilda wanted to trade Everitt (as they were rumoured to have last trade period), the asking price is clearly going to have to be very highly.

Shinners I would have accepted that trade if it included a first round draft pick six months ago but Porter hasn't had the best of seasons. Besides just forget about the draft pick and give us Adam Simpson. ;)

Surely you couldn't fit them all in under the cap, could you?

We've got some good accountant's at Port, have you heard of the "foundation", they have some other tricks in store too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back