Opinion The Evolution of Your Best 22 for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately when i look at all these sides being strung together here my stomach dosen't stop churning. I see to much softness and inability that will assign us to another year of desolation. Please keep the changes coming some of these guys have had their opportunity surely. We are meddling with confirmed mediocrity.

Unfortunately when i look at all these sides being strung together here my stomach dosen't stop churning. I see to much softness and inability that will assign us to another year of desolation. Please keep the changes coming some of these guys have had their opportunity surely. We are meddling with confirmed mediocrity.

There's only so much you can do in one off-season.

All we can hope is that Hinkley and the board finally realize that we don't have a "top four squad", and start making necessary changes to fix it.

Carlton went nuts last year when Bolton and Silvagni came on board. Don't think we have to go that far, but it can be done.

B: T. Jonas, L. Austin, J. Hombsch
HB: J. Pittard, J. Trengove, D. Byrne-Jones
C: H. Hartlett, O. Wines, B. Ebert
HF: M. White, J, Westhoff, J. Impey
F: C. Wingard, C. Dixon, A. Young
R: P. Ryder, T. Boak, R. Gray
INT: J. Polec, M. Broadbent, A. Monfries, N. Krakouer
EMG: S. Gray, K. Amon, B. Ah Chee

The defence is the really interesting one. We can lock in Hombsch, Trengove, DBJ and Pittard. But the other two spots are going to be a battle.

Do we go for runs on the board with Carlile at full back, or with this year's promising youth in Austin or Clurey? Do we play Jonas in the pocket due to his ability to play tall and small (especially relevant if we're using Trengove as a back up ruck), or do we go for a more mobile backline by putting a Broadbent, Krakouer or Bonner back there?

My personal preference would be Austin and Jonas at this stage. But we might go a bit smaller depending on matchups, or if we do end up playing Lobbe (ugh) and Trengove stays down back permanently.

Six teams listed. Not one featuring the forward pocket we've already pumped 51 games into.

#muchlist #sodevelopment

And the one we recently contracted until the end of 2018.

Last edited:

B: Darcy Byrne-Jones ~ Jack Hombsch ~ Thomas Jonas
HB: Matthew Broadbent ~ Jackson Trengove ~ Jasper Pittard
C: Brad Ebert ~ Oliver Wines ~ Jared Polec
HF: Matthew White ~ Charlie Dixon ~ Jarman Impey
F: Chad Wingard ~ Justin Westhoff ~ Aaron Young
R: Patrick Ryder ~ Travis Boak ~ Robbie Gray

Int: Hamish Hartlett ~ Sam Gray ~ Karl Amon ~ Nathan Krakouer

This is my current thinking for R1 2017.

Note: players in italics are not locks in the best 22
- Jonas is interchangeable with Austin and Clurey, I'm very close to naming Austin in the best 22 over Jonas but not just yet
- Broadbent feels excess to requirements, especially if Hartlett plays behind the ball
- I reckon Young would make way for a genuine second KPF if we get one or if Palmer's form demands selection
- S.Gray, Amon, Krakouer are more best of the rest at this stage and I can see one or more making way for a R1 draft selection if he's a midfielder or a NDS if we pick him up
- I can see space for a mature player seeking more opportunities to come to Port, like, Jack Steele.

Round 1 2017
F: Palmer, ? (Cloke), Impey
HF: A.Young, Dixon, Wingard
C: Polec, Wines, ? (Steele)
HB: Pittard, Clurey, Bonner
B: Hombsch, Austin, Byrne-Jones

R: Ryder, Boak, R.Gray
INT: Trengove, Ebert, Amon (S.Gray?), White (eventually Johnson?)
I think this is a well balanced team.

Time to move players on who aren't going to make us better & have no upside: Hartlett, Westhoff, Broadbent, Jonas, Lobbe, Monfries, Krakouer, Carlile, O'Shea.
With luck trade Hartlett for Steele, and Westy for Cloke (or someone better - that's all I can think of at present).

Hombsch to play 3rd tall where he can be an intercept beast.
Austin also has potential to go forward.
Of note, most of these players were available this year but Palmer, Impey, Young, Clurey, Bonner, Austin, DBJ, Amon wouldn't have been considered best 22. With another pre-season they should all be better next year (& apart from Impey are all current good kicks, and Impey will be a star!)

Unfortunate with the Hoff and Hartlett, but their best and worst are too far apart. We need a minimum standard that players can play 90+% of the time.

Dougs to come in when fit.

I wouldn't be against trailing Ebert as a roaming CHF.

Sounds ridiculous but he runs harder than anyone else and is the best or second best mark in the team behind Westy.

Chad to the midfield please.

B: T. Clurey, L. Austin, Byrne-Jones
HB: J. Pittard, J. Trengove, J. Hombsch
C: H. Hartlett, O. Wines, B. Ebert
HF: C Wingard, J, Westhoff, S Gray
F: J. Impey C. Dixon, A. Young

INT: J. Polec, M. Broadbent, A. Monfries, R. Bonner

EMG: M White, T. Jonas, J Palmer

B: Darcy Byrne-Jones ~ Jack Hombsch ~ Thomas Jonas

This is my current thinking for R1 2017.

Note: players in italics are not locks in the best 22
- Jonas is interchangeable with Austin and Clurey, I'm very close to naming Austin in the best 22 over Jonas but not just yet
- Broadbent feels excess to requirements, especially if Hartlett plays behind the ball
- I reckon Young would make way for a genuine second KPF if we get one or if Palmer's form demands selection
- S.Gray, Amon, Krakouer are more best of the rest at this stage and I can see one or more making way for a R1 draft selection if he's a midfielder or a NDS if we pick him up
- I can see space for a mature player seeking more opportunities to come to Port, like, Jack Steele.

Well that didn't take long!

In: Austin
Out: Jonas

B: Darcy Byrne-Jones ~ Jack Hombsch ~ Logan Austin

- Broadbent looking shakey after Bonner's debut
- This leaves Lobbe, O'Shea and Jonas out of our 22 and prime trade bait
- Carlile I think will retire

B: J. Hombsch, T.Clurey, Byrne-Jones
HB: J. Pittard, J. Trengove, R.Bonner
C: B.Ebert, O. Wines, J.Polec
HF: J.Impey, J.Westhoff, H.Hartlett
F: J. C.Wingard C. Dixon, A. Young

INT: Austin, J.Palmer, Broadbent, N.Krakouer
EMG: S.Gray, Monfries, M.White

our best team can compete with the best, but they're too mentally weak and inconsistent. surely we can admit this and try and find a good psychology coach!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be against trailing Ebert as a roaming CHF.

Sounds ridiculous but he runs harder than anyone else and is the best or second best mark in the team behind Westy.

Chad to the midfield please.
Ebert is one of our best kicks for goal too. Funny though put a player 15m away and he is 50/50

FB: Hombsch, Austin, DBJ
HB: Bonner, Clurey, Pittard
C: Wingard, R. Gray, Polec
HF: White, Trengove, Ebert
FF: Amon, Dixon, Impey
1R: Ryder, Wines, Boak
Int: Hartlett, Palmer, Young, Krak
Emergencies - Monfries, Broadbent, S. Gray

Wingard - to quote an ex-Prime Minister with 0 economic skills - it's time. Midfield time Chad. We've Palmer, Krak able to play forward, Impey, Amon drifting forward, White back. Wingard forward won't help us move up the ladder.

Carlile is cooked. O'Shea I don't want seen ever again. Lobbe take O'Shea times x 17. Jonas is a stopper. Like Lobbe and he can do hit out's at that's it, Jonas doesn't offer enough beyond just that, to fit in with reduced rotations.

I have Trengove at HF, as Butcher is gone :mad:. And if 2016 has shown nothing else we need two tall forwards (not including Westhoff) and Lobbe is not a tall forward, and having Lobbe ruck to stick Ryder forward weakens two areas of the ground (though I expect Ken to go back to ideas that failed miserably and try it again :().

We severely lacked line breaking in 2016 early in the year when Polec was not yet fully fit and Amon was still hitting his straps. With White, Polec and Amon next year, I feel much more confident in not being static witches cones unable to get past a zone.

When Hartlett is on the ground it's in the centre or at half-forward. No more of wasting his ability at HB. He either stands up where required on the ground or he's out.

Krak can play forward or back as required. If he gets a half decent tank (which is my non-negotiable for him getting games), then he'd also get 4 or 5 minutes a quarter as a link up player on a wing. If he gets the tank, I'd feel much more confident him with the ball in hand, in the centre as we transition from defense, hitting up a target forward then Boak, Ebert or Wine.

This will bear little to Ken's round 1 team. I'm sure he'll go back to ideas that didn't work - Lobbe in ruck, Jonas still in the side, Wingard forward.

Whatever our team make-up is in 2017, I don't want to see Trengove permanently relegated to defense. We discovered this year just how much more he has to offer us around the ground. For mine, he rotates with Ryder through the ruck and rests forward (or back, as required).

Of course, as long as Lobbe is on our list and fit, this won't happen because of reasons.

Subject to change depending on who we trade/delist/pick up in silly season...

B: Hombsch, Austin, Byrne-Jones
HB: Pittard, Trengove, Hartlett
C: Ebert, Wines, Polec
HF: Westhoff, Dixon, Impey
F: Young, Big Unit Recruit, Wingard
R: Ryder, Boak, R. Gray
Int (whoever the f@%k from): Amon, Bonner, Broadbent, Clurey, S. Gray, Howard*, Jonas, Krakouer, Monfries, White.

*Eventually

What part of Palmer's 0.33 goal average from his three games convinced everyone that he's suddenly in our best 22?

I can understand it. Playing forward, he took a few strong contested marks.
He also linked nicely on a few occasions and showed some good awareness.
I must confess...he's in my team based on potential only but can see he adds something different to our side.
He's not a Jack Darling or Stringer (when in form) but could play a similar role if fitness improves?

Whatever our team make-up is in 2017, I don't want to see Trengove permanently relegated to defense. We discovered this year just how much more he has to offer us around the ground. For mine, he rotates with Ryder through the ruck and rests forward (or back, as required).

Of course, as long as Lobbe is on our list and fit, this won't happen because of reasons.

I'm only comfortable seeing Jacko rucking against Jenkins. Conceding the hit out shouldn't be a permanent strategy it will get us nowhere.

Austin Palmer Clurey Bonner wont play much AFL footy next year

We'll need an injury run like what the Crows have had for that to even be remotely true. There'll be plenty of opportunity for all those players next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back