Figured I'd throw my ideal scenario out:

FB: D. Byrne-Jones, L. Austin, T. Jonas
HB: J. Pittard, J. Hombsch, M. Broadbent
C: B. Ebert, T. Boak, J. Polec
HF: A. Young, J. Westhoff, J. Impey
FF: C. Wingard, C. Dixon, B. Eddy
R: P. Ryder, O. Wines, R. Gray
INT: J. Trengove H. Hartlett M. White N. Krakouer

Would be huge if Eddy is up to it, if not there are plenty more fringe players that are worthy. Hoff plays slightly more fixed than has been but will roam particularly when Ryder rests deep. Dixon starts deep pushing up creating the space for Eddy and co. to fill in behind. JT to support the backline and ruck ~30%, naturally his role will change weekly. Hartlett to support mids, White the outside/flankers up forward, the Krak the same down back. Primary midfield rotations to be taken by Gray, Wines Boak, Polec, HH and Ebert but Broady, Pittard, Impey, Young, Chad and White all able to rotate through.

All in all, pretty standard.
From an outsiders perspective I really like the sound of how Bonner and SPP are travelling.
Eddy is a terrific player and will be an absolute bargain in my view.

Best 22 from an outsider:
B: DBJ Hombsh Jonas
HB: Pittard Trengrove Bonner
C: Polec Boak Ebert
HF: Wingard Westhoff Impey
FF: Eddy Dixon Young
R: Ryder Wines Gray

I/C Spp, Hartlett, Krakouer, Clurey

Why are people saying Eddy is best 22? He was taken as a rookie for a reason, in case of injury.

If he's in our best 22, surely some other club would have drafted him late.

I suspect the "reason" was more to do with contract length/salary and minimising our risk while we assess him at AFL level.

I have absolutely no doubt he will get upgraded and given opportunity. We're screaming for another genuine tall forward and the kid has nothing left to prove in the SANFL.

From an outsiders perspective I really like the sound of how Bonner and SPP are travelling.

I like it, but im not convinced Bonner is ready to replace Broadbent just yet. It will happen im time though, and I have no doubt he will be pushing for selection this year.

I have Eddy in my first 22 because too often Westhoff goes missing in the forward lines. And when I say 'goes missing' i mean he literally isnt even there!

I like the prospect of having Dixon and Eddy play in the forward lines while Westhoff plays that true utility role and adds value all over the ground.

IMO we get the most out of "The Hoff" when he's free to roam, and having Eddy in there means that he can do it without leaving a whopping hole in our forward structure.

Neade now not in our top 30.
I think we underestimate the love for Neade from the coaches + Impey seems to be in everyone's best 22 purely on 'potential'. Needs to lift his output. Imp has everything a small AFL player needs to succeed but doesn't seem to play any particular role consistently well but of course this could change.

I suspect the "reason" was more to do with contract length/salary and minimising our risk while we assess him at AFL level.

I have absolutely no doubt he will get upgraded and given opportunity. We're screaming for another genuine tall forward and the kid has nothing left to prove in the SANFL.
We can upgrade two rookies at any time as we have two less than maximum in our senior list. I think we are playing it smart with the rookies being players we can use as "break glass if required". Eddy will be 28 years and has given up a lot to get into the AFL. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Assuming fitness is there, and after a preseason, why wouldn't he be fit, a weight of goals in the reserves may well force the hand of the coaches to play him. He may surprise during the practice matches. He will get games. Here's hoping.

Starting from the back, DBJ can go into one pocket and Hombsch into the other. He is a very good defender but not a full back. I would put Logan Austin in that position. Broadbent still gets a go at half-back but the Hartlett as a half-back experiment is over. Pittard is on the other flank and Trengove at CHB. The centre line should have Ollie in the centre with Ebert and Hartlett on the wings. CHF is Westhoff although as in all other years he will have a roving commission. Wingard and Impey will be on the flanks. The forward line will be Monfries, Dixon and Young although taller players such as Ryder and Westhoff will interchange into our forward structure at times. The ruck division is Ryder, Boak and Gray.
Interchange Powell-pepper, Polec, Jonas and Krakouer.

B: DBJ, Austin, Hombsch
HB: Pittard, Trengove, Broadbent
C: Ebert, Wines, Hartlett
HF: Wingard, Westhoff, Impey
F: Monfries, Dixon, Young

R: Ryder, Boak, Gray

I/C: Powell-pepper, Polec, Jonas, Krakouer

Starting from the back, DBJ can go into one pocket and Hombsch into the other. He is a very good defender but not a full back. I would put Logan Austin in that position. Broadbent still gets a go at half-back but the Hartlett as a half-back experiment is over. Pittard is on the other flank and Trengove at CHB. The centre line should have Ollie in the centre with Ebert and Hartlett on the wings. CHF is Westhoff although as in all other years he will have a roving commission. Wingard and Impey will be on the flanks. The forward line will be Monfries, Dixon and Young although taller players such as Ryder and Westhoff will interchange into our forward structure at times. The ruck division is Ryder, Boak and Gray.
Interchange Powell-pepper, Polec, Jonas and Krakouer.

B: DBJ, Austin, Hombsch
HB: Pittard, Trengove, Broadbent
C: Ebert, Wines, Hartlett
HF: Wingard, Westhoff, Impey
F: Monfries, Dixon, Young

R: Ryder, Boak, Gray

I/C: Powell-pepper, Polec, Jonas, Krakouer
Very close to where I am at with my best 22. I think I would bring in White for Krakouer.

Sam Gray makes my best 22, and he would replace SPP. Mulling over Austin. without him, we are short at the back, but the Ruck support bugs me given the new third man up rule. I am sure my thoughts will change closer to season proper and have seen some practice matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very close to where I am at with my best 22. I think I would bring in White for Krakouer.

Sam Gray makes my best 22, and he would replace SPP. Mulling over Austin. without him, we are short at the back, but the Ruck support bugs me given the new third man up rule. I am sure my thoughts will change closer to season proper and have seen some practice matches.
Bonner will play before Krakouer and White isn't a HBF. I have heard from good sources that Bonner is flying and defensive practice drills have him and Jasper as the rebounding HBF.

I have heard from good sources that Bonner is flying
:) to quote 'Bones' "the kid can really play". 1st and only game 22 touches @ 68% DE with 624m gained.
How serious we are in 2017 will be judged by the opportunities given to our newbies over gold passes given to good honest triers
TJ, Neade and S Gray all good blokes and favourites of Ken but best 22... mmmm.

If you playing Trengove, Hombsch, & Clurey then you might think TJ might get the flick in favour of playing with more run like Bonner or SPP. If your choice is between TJ & Clurey id be going with Clurey. There's gonna be some serious competition for spots as the defensive runners with Broady, Bonner, HH, Polec, DBJ, Jasper, Krakouer as well as some young guys all pushing for selection.

:) to quote 'Bones' "the kid can really play". 1st and only game 22 touches @ 68% DE with 624m gained.
How serious we are in 2017 will be judged by the opportunities given to our newbies over gold passes given to good honest triers
TJ, Neade and S Gray all good blokes and favourites of Ken but best 22... mmmm.
Agree 100% - I would like Ken to make some balsy selection decisions this year. Far too many passengers were gifted games over the past two years. So what if someone like Hammer plays for the Maggies. Pick on form should be our motto this year.

Take out Bonner and Eddy and replace with Broady and White.

Hartlett will start at half back. Eddy is unlikely to play round 1 unless he has a big preseason. R Gray will spend a better balance up forward. Wingard will spend a better balance in the middle.

For mine I still think

LOCKS - First 17:

F: Robbie Gray - Charlie Dixon - Chad Wingard
HF: Aaron Young - Justin Westhoff - Jarman Impey
C: Jared Polec - Brad Ebert - Sam Powell Pepper
HB: Matthew Broadbent - Jack Hombsch - Hamish Hartlett
B: ???????????? - Jackson Trengove - Jasper Pittard
R: Paddy Ryder - Oliver Wines - Travis Boak

QUESTION MARKS - 5 Spots:
1 Tall Back - Tom Clurey, Logan Austin
1 Tall/Small or Small back - Nathan Krakouer, Darcy Byrne Jones, Tom Jonas, Riley Bonner
1 Tall or Small Forward - Matt White, Jake Neade, Angus Monfries, Brett Eddy, Karl Amon, Jesse Palmer
1 Midfielder - Sam Gray, Brendon AhChee, Jimmy Toumpas

The concern with Jonas is that we gave a bloke I would expect to be playing a lot of SANFL next year a 3 year contract. Ridiculous.
So you think a bloke we retained in the leadership group and just gave a 3 year contract to is going to be playing a lot of SANFL. You're going to be disappointed when he is picked every week.

So you think a bloke we retained in the leadership group and just gave a 3 year contract to is going to be playing a lot of SANFL. You're going to be disappointed when he is picked every week.
Yep I will. I'd have him outside of my best 22 at the moment, and would rather play our smalls like Bonner and DBJ as well as our talls like Austin and Clurey ahead of him.

Yep I will. I'd have him outside of my best 22 at the moment, and would rather play our smalls like Bonner and DBJ as well as our talls like Austin and Clurey ahead of him.

Well Bonner is likely going to have to have some strong SANFL form before he is considered. Austin hasn't even started preseason yet. DBJ is going to play on the true smalls.

So it's only really between him and Clurey - and it looks like in the coaches eyes Jonas gets picked.

Take out Bonner and Eddy and replace with Broady and White.

Hartlett will start at half back. Eddy is unlikely to play round 1 unless he has a big preseason. R Gray will spend a better balance up forward. Wingard will spend a better balance in the middle.

For mine I still think

LOCKS - First 17:

F: Robbie Gray - Charlie Dixon - Chad Wingard
HF: Aaron Young - Justin Westhoff - Jarman Impey
C: Jared Polec - Brad Ebert - Sam Powell Pepper
HB: Matthew Broadbent - Jack Hombsch - Hamish Hartlett
B: ???????????? - Jackson Trengove - Jasper Pittard
R: Paddy Ryder - Oliver Wines - Travis Boak

QUESTION MARKS - 5 Spots:
1 Tall Back - Tom Clurey, Logan Austin
1 Tall/Small or Small back - Nathan Krakouer, Darcy Byrne Jones, Tom Jonas, Riley Bonner
1 Tall or Small Forward - Matt White, Jake Neade, Angus Monfries, Brett Eddy, Karl Amon, Jesse Palmer
1 Midfielder - Sam Gray, Brendon AhChee, Jimmy Toumpas

Pretty much spot on, only changes for my personal taste would be hopefully Wingard and SPP swap spots and Atley be a genuine contender round 1 too.

Definitely 5 spots open to changing and hopefully they change week to week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back