Opinion The Evolution of Your Best 22 for 2017

Nah, * it. No second string lineups. Restrict the stars to 2 games each, but this team needs to show that they're taking this season seriously and get some results on the board. Apologies to the Irra, Hewett, Houston, Johnson, Lienert types but right now we have bigger priorities than them getting a taste.

B: Jonas - Hombsch - Byrne-Jones
HB: Broadbent - Hartlett - Pittard
C: Westhoff - Boak - Polec
HF: Monfries - Trengove - Impey
F: Young - Dixon - Wingard
R: Ryder - Wines - Gray

INT: Krakouer - Ebert - Powell-Pepper - Clurey

BillyW

Debutant
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From the coaches review of the internal trial.....
"Matthew Lobbe
Very good – probably the best on ground today, for both teams. It’s the best game he’s played for a while, he was great. He’s been training really well, so hopefully that continues over. "

Excellent!

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
B: Jonas - Austin - Byrne-Jones
HB: Bonner - Hombsch - Pittard
C: Polec - Boak - Amon
HF: Ebert-Trengove - Krakouer

INT: Clurey -Hartlett - Westhoff- Broadbent

Nov 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fremantle Dockers (AFLW)
From the coaches review of the internal trial.....
"Matthew Lobbe
Very good – probably the best on ground today, for both teams. It’s the best game he’s played for a while, he was great. He’s been training really well, so hopefully that continues over. "

Excellent!
You better get your smarmy told you so speech ready if Lobbe gets a round 1 spot, as is Bigfooty tradition

On XT1635-02 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
I liked the way the forwards lined up with thrè smalls at CHF who then pushed up making space for Dixon and Jacko wiyh a small in the middle.

Aiden Johnson will push past Neede this year to become that small we have been crying out for.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
My best 22, not rd 1 22.

B:
Jonas - Austin - Byrne-Jones
HB: Hartlett - Hombsch - Pittard
C: Polec - Boak - Ebert
HF: Powell-Pepper -Trengove - Krakouer

INT: White - Impey - Westhoff- Broadbent

White is my most uncertain selection. I gave him the tick because he can be so damaging of the bench. He's an experienced quality player that impacts the game with just 12-15 possessions.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
I liked the way the forwards lined up with thrè smalls at CHF who then pushed up making space for Dixon and Jacko wiyh a small in the middle.

Aiden Johnson will push past Neede this year to become that small we have been crying out for.
Yep. We saw last night what this kid can do. He hasn't done enough yet to play first 22 but a good run with fitness and he'll be a weapon.

I'm a massive Matt White fan but I'm starting to doubt that he'll ever get back. Playing for the 'possibles' team yesterday and getting subbed off with yet another injury doesn't bode well. I'd love to be wrong about this but gut feel is telling me he might be a midseason retirement.

I'm a massive Matt White fan but I'm starting to doubt that he'll ever get back. Playing for the 'possibles' team yesterday and getting subbed off with yet another injury doesn't bode well. I'd love to be wrong about this but gut feel is telling me he might be a midseason retirement.
Apologies if it's already been mentioned but what did White injure?

James Murray

Debutant
Mar 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

My Round 1 Team

B
Jonas Austin Hartlett
HB Pittard Hombsch Broadbent
C Westhoff Wines Polec
HF Krakouer Trengove Impey
F A.Young Dixon Wingard
R Ryder Boak Gray
INT - Clurey Ebert Byrne-Jones Amon

Peck

Todd Marshall fan
10k Posts
Jul 30, 2009
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Left is Best
It's terribly concerning :(

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My Round 1 Team

B
Jonas Austin Hartlett
HB Pittard Hombsch Broadbent
C Westhoff Wines Polec
HF Krakouer Trengove Impey
F A.Young Dixon Wingard
R Ryder Boak Gray
INT - Clurey Ebert Byrne-Jones Amon

Not bad.

My 2 cents.

I don't want 4 big key defenders in the side at Once, Hombsch and Austin are locks where you have them. leaving one of Jonus and Clurey for the 3rd big defender.

For one of these two id bring in Bonner, Tall, Fast Elite ball user.

Id like to see Powell Pepper come in ahead of Amon. Big strong fast inside player who can likes to though his wait around - can't wait to see him in the JLT and see if he earns himself a round one berth.

Lastly you've called this a Round 1 team meaning Impey must go out as he has a round one suspension. But certainly comes back in (Hopfully we fire in round one and imply really has to earn his stop back - don't want it gifted to him) . Maybe Palmer ? Potentially Monfries.

Not bad.

My 2 cents.

I don't want 4 big key defenders in the side at Once, Hombsch and Austin are locks where you have them. leaving one of Jonus and Clurey for the 3rd big defender.

Jonas isn't really a big key defender, he's more a Dale Morris type medium defender who can play tall when we're desperate. He's best suited to the Gunston, LeCras marking medium forward types.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jonas isn't really a big key defender, he's more a Dale Morris type medium defender who can play tall when we're desperate. He's best suited to the Gunston, LeCras marking medium forward types.

I wouldn't disagree with that - but he is very good on big key forwards - i remember a few years ago him giving Walker an absolute bath after getting switched during the game.

I still feel the point is valid. Hombsch and Austin as the two key backs then have Jonas or Clurey as the third. With only those three it allows us to play an someone like a Bonner in the side as well who makes us a far more dangerous attacking side.

GreyPower

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2014
PAFC
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Impey not available for round 1 selection from memory.

I think it could be something like:

FF Krakouer, Dixon, Young
HF R Gray, Trengove, Ebert
C Polec, Wines, Westhoff
HB Pittard, Hombsch, Hartlett,
FB Byrne-Jones, Jonas, Clurey

RUCK
Ryder
Boak
Wingard

INT Broadbent, Amon, Bonner, Snelling

EMERG Austin, Lobbe

Byron!!!

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2012
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wouldn't disagree with that - but he is very good on big key forwards - i remember a few years ago him giving Walker an absolute bath after getting switched during the game.

I still feel the point is valid. Hombsch and Austin as the two key backs then have Jonas or Clurey as the third. With only those three it allows us to play an someone like a Bonner in the side as well who makes us a far more dangerous attacking side.

They say Bonner needs a lot of work on his defense so I doubt he will be playing early in the season. Austin also lined up in the Bs? So looks like it will be Hombsch Clurey Jonas as our "talls"

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Alright, will give my best round 1 AFL team a crack:

B: DBJ, Austin, Hombsch
HB: Krakouer, Trengove, Pittard
C: SPP, Boak, Polec
HF: Hartlett, Westhoff, Impey
F: Wingard, Dixon, Monfries
R: Ryder, Wines Gray

Int: Ebert, Atley, White, Jonas

Emergency: Amon, Broadbent, Young

Close: Bonner and Clurey.
Update:

B: Jonas, Austin, DBJ
HB: Hartlett, Hombsch, Pittard
C: Westhoff, Boak, Polec
HF: Krakouer, Trengove, SPP
F: Wingard, Dixon, Young
R: Ryder, Wines, Gray

Int: Ebert, Broadbent, Atley, Amon

Emergency: Eddy, Clurey, Bonner

Close: Snelling and White.

Impey to replace Atley or Amon once back from suspension. Wingard, Boak and Gray to rotate between midfield and forward line.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They say Bonner needs a lot of work on his defense so I doubt he will be playing early in the season. Austin also lined up in the Bs? So looks like it will be Hombsch Clurey Jonas as our "talls"

I did see that, id like to see him in none the less, i do think we will make us better. With Pittard, Broadbent and Hartlett all arose Half back not maybe we could use him in a slightly different role…

Hopefully we'll see him round one. Not only because i rate him, also because i took a gable putting him my Supercoach team.

Feb 4, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't think we'll go full strength vs St Kilda but using it as an example while pretending all the people with injury clouds are ruled out.

This could be the 26 man squad + 3 emergencies.

Port Adelaide POWER JLT Series Game 1 vs St Kilda
F: Trengove - Dixon - Krakouer
HF: A.Young - Westhoff - Impey
C: Ebert - Boak (C) - Polec
HB: Pittard - Clurey - Broadbent
B: Hartlett - Hombsch - Jonas
R: Ryder - Wines - Wingard
INT: S.Gray - Powell-Pepper - Bonner - Drew - Lobbe - Austin - Eddy - Frampton
EMERG: Atley - Johnson - Amon
I'm not sure Polec will play due to the hard surface....just a thought

Back