Prediction The Evolution of Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything can change from now to March. Currently, I would begin with our line-up in the EF, then: removing those that are gone; and adding Watts, Motlop, and Rockliff.

If necessary, afterwards, I would adjust the team by adding or removing players depending on how many there would still be on the list.

Having said that, today, my list would be (with a triple tie for the last spot):

B
  • Jasper Pittard,
  • Tom Clurey,
  • Riley Bonner
HB
  • Darcy Byrne-Jones,
  • Dougal Howard,
  • Hamish Hartlett
C
  • Steven Motlop,
  • Ollie Wines,
  • Jared Polec
HF
  • Sam Gray,
  • Todd Marshall,
  • Robbie Gray
F
  • Jack Watts,
  • Charlie Dixon,
  • Chad Wingard
FOL
  • Paddy Ryder,
  • Tom Rockliff,
  • Travis Boak
I/C
  • Sam Powell-Pepper,
  • Justin Westhoff,
  • Dan Houston,
  • Either Jack Neade, or Brad Ebert, or Karl Amon (was Jarman Impey)
Tom Jonas very stiff

The weird thing is it's very likely DBJ & Sam Gray who both played every game this year will be battling to keep their spots. I thought DBJ was pretty lucky to keep his spot at times and heading into the elimination final I compared all HBF stats and he looked the weakest. I think Houston is better and just as hard at it but a much much better disposer of the ball especially by foot. I think the same could go for Bonner by round 1, has much better skills, is quicker despite being taller. Makes Broady looks average and vanilla in comparison as well. If he breaks out like DBJ and Houston in the last two year I think our HBF group of Houston, Pittard, Bonner and Hartlett looks damn good especially with Broadbent and DBJ as depth. As for Sam Gray, yes he played well but the ironic thing is yes he played as well as he probably can which is commendable and all you can ask of a player but at the end of the day that simply means that he's unlikely to play any better and likely to drop off like Young did. He doesn't possess any unique skills, he's small but not quick with average skills but he has heart and endeavour. That to me means he's on the fringe with young players with more unique skills coming through. This isn't about bashing him and not giving him the credit he deserves it's about being realistic, there are plenty of players who have a good year who get the best out of themselves but the next year they don't replicate it, generally it's player who have a lion heart but are otherwise average; Logan, Stewart, O'Shea etc. Neade or Barry are likely to offer a more unique style that compliments our forward line and even Amon and Atley would offer a bit more pace or run. For mine the two biggest bolter will hopefully be Howard and Bonner, if they come on our defense will look a lot more dynamic. It will especially be good if Bonner can play a bit of wing to allow Motlop to play a bit more forward.

a9c.png

Not to mention Brad Ebert being stuck in a three way tie for spot 22 with Neade and Amon :drunk:

The Evolution of YOUR Best 22. I will get the grip of it. Currently, I am still green...

I have changed the I/C. Now, there are seven to pick 4.

Last edited:
wingard w Dixon e
Boak s watts t s gray
Motlop wines Polec
Bonner h Howard o Houston
Jones f clurey f dbj

Ryder Gray Rockliff

Ebert Hartlett spp frampton

B: Darcy Byrne-Jones, Tom Clurey, Tom Jonas
HB: Hamish Hartlett, Jack Hombsch, Matthew Broadbent
C: Steven Motlop, Ollie Wines, Jared Polec
HF: Travis Boak, Justin Westhoff, Chad Wingard
F: Sam Gray, Charlie Dixon, Robbie Gray
Foll: Paddy Ryder, Tom Rockliff, Brad Ebert
I/C: Jasper Pittard, Jack Watts, Karl Amon, Sam Powell-Pepper

DEPTH

General defenders: Riley Bonner, Dan Houston, Emmanuel Irra, Trent McKenzie
Key defenders: Dougal Howard, Jarrod Lienert
Midfielders: Joe Atley, Dom Barry, Willem Drew, Kane Farrell, Joel Garner, Cam Hewett, Jake Patmore, Jack Trengove, Jimmy Toumpas, Will Snelling
General forwards: Aidyn Johnson, Jake Neade, Lindsay Thomas
Key forwards: Todd Marshall
Ruckmen: Billy Frampton, Sam Hayes, Peter Ladhams

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-02/best-22-your-clubs-first-choice-for-2018

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide POWER Round 1 vs Fremantle
F: Rockliff - Dixon - Wingard
HF: Watts - Marshall - Motlop (C)
C: Bonner - Wines - Polec
HB: Houston - Howard - Hartlett
B: Jonas - Clurey - DBJ

R: Ryder - Ebert - R.Gray

INT: Powell-Pepper - S.Gray - Neade - Westhoff

when did they make up the position General Defender?
Well I suppose its like some people have used the term Quarterbacks in AFL.
There never has been that position in AFL.
Even Dermott Brereton used that term when talking about Dan Houston after he goaled against Gold Coast in second quarter.
Dan Houston was quarterbacking ... What the .....
Quarterbacking is an American Football Term ... not AFL :thumbsdown:

Have none of these 'your best 22 in 2018' campaigners ever seen Dan Houston play? FFS.

I recall in a previous year, Tom Jonas was incorrectly called Tom Logan, Tom Jones, or completely left out of the best 22. Takes about 3 years for the Vics to realise who our young players are unless they are first rounders (aka SPP, Wines, Wingard)

It has to be said but I'm genuinely worried about boak, just the pace of the game, you don't get that back. Looked slow in the Irish game, different I know but I feel if he didn't have the c next to his name he might not be guaranteed a spot.
Footy wise no doubt, his best is elite still, I'm just worried about the pace of the game and will it catch him out at times this year.

All the best 22's are pretty good , the pressure on established players like Hartlett , Pittard , Broadbent , Hombsch , Westhoff is very real at the moment with guys like Bonner , Houston , Howard and Marshall seemingly ready to be best 22 before even mentioning Johnson , Frampton , Atley and Drew , normally these guys would get plenty of games for development but this year they'll have to arn them big time .
Probably the top 16 just about pick themselves and there's a beauty of a scrap for the next 6 so it'll be very interesting to see what unfolds

Have none of these 'your best 22 in 2018' campaigners ever seen Dan Houston play? FFS.

Lee Gaskin went experience over talent/form. As Ken has a history of playing kids early, watch us play Patmore in round 1.

F: Westhoff- Dixon - R.Gray
HF: Wingard - Watts - Boak
C: Motlop - Wines - Polec
HB: Pittard - Howard - Hartlett
B: Jonas - Clurey - Byrne-Jones
R: Ryder - Ebert - Rockliff
INT: Powell-Pepper - S.Gray - Broadent - Houston
EMERG: Marshall - Bonner - Hombsch

My initial thoughts on a first 22 in round 1:

B: DBJ -- Clurey -- Jonas
HB: Hartlett -- Howard -- Pittard
C: Motlop -- Wines -- Polec
HF: Boak -- Watts -- Westhoff
F: Wingard -- Dixon -- R. Gray
R: Ryder -- Rockliff -- SPP
Int: Ebert -- Houston -- Bonner -- Thomas

Emergency: S. Gray, Frampton, McKenzie

- On the cusp: Amon, Marshall and Hombsch.
- At risk: any HBF who f**ks up. I'm looking at you Hamish and Jasper.
- 1st & 2nd year players not already mentioned who I think are a decent chance of playing AFL next year: Atley, Barry (dat speed), and Patmore.

Obvious deletion from 2017 1st EF side (Eagles) - Impey. Probable deletions from that side - Marshall & Amon. Possible deletions from that side - Neade, Bonner, Howard & Jasper (I stress possible)

Obvious inclusions to that side - Rockcliff, Watts & Motlop. Probable inclusions to that side - Thomas & Jonas. Possible inclusions to that side - Trengove, Hombsch & Frampton (if Billy is fit & ready to go the game against the Dockers would be perfect for him to debut - we got to blood him sooner or later)

Players not mentioned as inclusions but still could be in the frame - Broadbent, Atley & Lienert. Perhaps one or two of our 2017 draftees could be considered, eg Barry or Garner as both seem ready to go.

Interesting times ahead!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back