FB Byrne-Jones, Clurey, Houston

RUCK
Ryder
Rockliff
Powell-Pepper

INT Westhoff, Pittard, Bonner, S Gray

EMERG Frampton, Marshall

I don’t think our midfield has ever looked better

I think we can probably run with all 4 in the team. Clurey, Hombsch and Howard are all very mobile and Howard is versatile enough to be swung up forward or into the ruck if match ups don't suit. If Hombsch were fully fit and firing, I couldn't fathom the thought of one of those guys playing SANFL.

I think every player should be part of the rotation at some point.

They all would get an extra bye AND ALSO play at least one game for the Magpies.

In an ideal world, Howard would show some form as a forward thereby meaning meaning Hombsch could fit into defence.

Think johnson will surprise people and get consistent games next year; with white and impey gone johnson is legitimatly our quickest player and we were looking for more speed in this years draft so clearly its a place of need and concern. His closing speed and attack on the ball is insane. Rewatch the gold coast and doggies game and his defensive forward ability and tackling is outstanding. He is athletically gifted and able to compete in the air better so than neade while still maintaining a goal nouse. Patmore maybe farrell has to work on his tank and barry can also legitimately play some games. Johnson can be a straight in for impey

McKenzie if played higher up the ground and not as a kpd can also play a few frim memory he does have leg speed but unsure if injury hampered it

This year showed that Clurey, Jonas and Houston formed a formidable defensive unit. Hombsch is our best defender when in form and Howard is too promising and versatile to leave out.

Next year a 7 man defence is going to be applied again and I think we have the cattle to really be effective.
Not sure about cattle but players absolutely..

FWIW my team(s) would be (kicking up):

POWER
R Gray Dickson Wingard
Boak Watts S Gray
Polec Wines Motlop
Pittard Jonas Huston
DBJ Clurey Howard
---------------------------------------
IR: Ryder Ebert Rockliff
Int: Westhof Hartlett Bonner Powell-Pepper
--------------------------------------------------
Emerg: Hombsch Marshall Johnson

Qualifications: Away games we generally take two emergencies, home games we set just one aside. I have not included any of those 3 in the Magpies side - but realistically one of either Marshall or Hombsch would drop down to SANFL.

Opinion: A good enough side to make top 4.

MAGPIES
Thomas Ladhams Neade
Drew McKenzie Trengove
Barry Atley Amon
Broadbent Hewett Toumpas
Garner Lienert Irra
-------------------------------------------
1R: Frampton Summerton Snelling
--------------------------------------------
Int: Hayes Patmore Farrell

Opinion: That side, with no injuries to Power or Magpies, is good enough to make top 3, but probs not good enough for a flag. Get half a dozen injuries, and we miss the finals (lack of depth). Need to find three or four more recruits from somewhere, especially KPP's.

ACADEMY
Hampton Ginever Proude Hill Davis Mead Sam Davidson
Hawkins Baron Roads Finnie T-J Wanganeen Sean Davidson
Deeley-Godfrey Shaoliang*

* international

Opinion: Cellar dweller sadly. Only guessing who may be in this team. Maybe last year for the Academy? Put two sides in Ammo's in 2019 for development of indigenous/multicultural/Father-son/elite juniors?

If he's playing in SANFL (and not promoted to our AFL side), I'd like to see Frampton at CHF.....Hayes in Forward Pocket & Ladhams play a bit in the Ruck.

We have legitimate options that may push out some of the older fellas this year. Selection panel thoughts...

If going the 7 man defence and wanting more speed to match smaller, faster forward lines. Could it be a decision between Hartlett or Jonas?

If Boak is not skipper, is he a better forward than S.Gray, Johnson, Thomas? Or better winger/outside to Polec, Motlop, Wingard?

Will Westy make room for Billy F, Barry, an extra runner?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW my team(s) would be (kicking up):

POWER
R Gray Dickson Wingard
Boak Watts S Gray
Polec Wines Motlop
Pittard Jonas Huston
DBJ Clurey Howard
IR: Ryder Ebert Rockliff
Int: Westhof Hartlett Bonner Powell-Pepper
--------------------------------------------------
Emerg: Hombsch Marshall Johnson

Qualifications: Away games we generally take two emergencies, home games we set just one aside. I have not included any of those 3 in the Magpies side - but realistically one of either Marshall or Hombsch would drop down to SANFL.

Opinion: A good enough side to make top 4.

MAGPIES
Thomas Ladhams Neade
Drew McKenzie Trengove
Barry Atley Amon
Broadbent Hewett Toumpas
Garner Lienert Irra
-------------------------------------------
1R: Frampton Summerton Snelling
--------------------------------------------
Int: Hayes Patmore Farrell

Opinion: That side, with no injuries to Power or Magpies, is good enough to make top 3, but probs not good enough for a flag. Get half a dozen injuries, and we miss the finals (lack of depth). Need to find three or four more recruits from somewhere, especially KPP's.

ACADEMY
Hampton Ginever Proude Hill Davis Mead Sam Davidson
Hawkins Baron Roads Finnie T-J Wanganeen Sean Davidson
Deeley-Godfrey Shaoliang*

* international

Opinion: Cellar dweller sadly. Only guessing who may be in this team. Maybe last year for the Academy? Put two sides in Ammo's in 2019 for development of indigenous/multicultural/Father-son/elite juniors?

Emergencies are not allowed to play for the Magpies!? That would be three players out, which weakens our side considerably.

Emergencies are not allowed to play for the Magpies!? That would be three players out, which weakens our side considerably.
They can play if the SANFL game is the day after an AFL game.

If it's on the same day or the day before normally we hold 1 or 2 of the emergencies back and they miss a week of footy.

They can play if the SANFL game is the day after an AFL game.

If it's on the same day or the day before normally we hold 1 or 2 of the emergencies back and they miss a week of footy.

It is necessary to compare the schedules and check which situation will be the rule and which will be the exception. So, we will know the chances of fielding the strongest Magpies' squad throughout the season.

It is necessary to compare the schedules and check which situation will be the rule and which will be the exception. So, we will know the chances of fielding the strongest Magpies' squad throughout the season.
It will happen several times throughout the season and it's fine. Ideally though if SANFL games were on Sundays and AFL games were on Friday/Saturdays it would happen a lot less.

It will happen several times throughout the season and it's fine. Ideally though if SANFL games were on Sundays and AFL games were on Friday/Saturdays it would happen a lot less.

I may be mistaken, but I've counted 8 games, out of 17; basically 50-50.

Pardon the intrusion guys and girls, my thoughts on the best available 22 for Port Adelaide as a neutral observer, feel free to pick it apart as you wish

FULL BACK: Darcy Byrne Jones ~ Tom Clurey ~ Tom Jonas
HALF BACK: Hamish Hartlett ~ Jack Hombsch ~ Jasper Pittard
CENTRE: Steven Motlop ~ Ollie Wines ~ Jared Polec
HALF FORWARD: Travis Boak ~ Justin Westhoff ~ Jack Watts
FULL FORWARD: Robbie Gray ~ Charlie Dixon ~ Chad Wingard
1st RUCK: Patrick Ryder ~ Brad Ebert ~ Tom Rockliff
INTERCHANGE: Sam Powell Pepper ~ Sam Gray
2 of Matthew Broadbent ~ Riley Bonner ~ Dom Barry

• Dan Houston, Dougal Howard unlucky.
  • Aidyn Johnson/ Karl Amon could become that Barry selection as an outside midfield player.
  • Blessed with a group of inside midfielders that will be handy in the midfield rotation as well like Boak and SPP.
  • Still think there is some room for outside class and run which is why I've added Motlop onto a wing and selected Bonner and Barry in the 23.

Last edited:
Pardon the intrusion guys and gals, my thoughts on the best available 22 for Port Adelaide as a neutral observer, feel free to pick it apart as you wish

• Aidyn Johnson/ Karl Amon could become that Barry selection as an outside midfield player.
  • Blessed with a group of inside midfielders that will be handy in the midfield rotation as well like Boak and SPP.
  • Still think there is some room for outside class and run which is why I've added Motlop onto a wing and selected Bonner and Barry in the 23.

Your best 18 is a good effort, but if Dan Houston doesn't get at least a bench spot for Round 1 I'm dumping a truckload of manure at Alberton.

Pardon the intrusion guys and girls, my thoughts on the best available 22 for Port Adelaide as a neutral observer, feel free to pick it apart as you wish

I just can't see our best 22 without Houston in it.

Fair call. Is his field kicking an upgrade from Pittard off HB do you think?
They are very different. Jasper has a decent amount of pace and agility and tends to gain a good amount of ground but Houston is definitely a more reliable kick in part, I think, because he knows his limitations and picks suitable targets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back