Remove this Banner Ad

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He's pretty damn damaging in a forward pocket, if we need him in the midfield next year we're in trouble. Time for Wines and SPP to carry the midfield and Rockliff (based on his form for us) or Atley to step up and be a force in the engine room.
Jarrad Schofield is our midfield coach now ... its going to be interesting as to what he does in this area .. I think there might be a few surprises. :thumbsu:
And, of course, I hope Atley is one of them :D

B: DBJ - Clurey - Jonas (c)
HB: Houston - Howard - Hartlett
C : Motlop - Wines (vc) - R.Burton
HF: Boak - T.Marshall - Westhoff
F: Ryder - Dixon - R.Gray
R: Lycett - SPP - Rockliff

Bench: Rozee, Butters, Ebert, Leinert/Watts (depending if Jack has gone hard preseason)

That’s a good one :)

B: Houston Clurey Jonas
HB: Byrne-Jones Howard Hartlett
C: Motlop Powell-Pepper Burton
HF: Boak Marshall S.Gray
F: Ryder Dixon R.Gray

R: Lycett Wines Rockliff

INT: Westhoff Ebert Rozee Bonner/Broadbent

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Pardon the intrusion, thought I'd have a crack -

Clurey Jonas DBJ

Houston Howard Bonner

Boak Wines Westhoff

Motlop Marshall Watts

Gray Dixon Gray

Ryder Ebert Burton*

SPP Rozee Rockliff Lycett

* be interesting to see where Burton ends up. I've thrown him in the middle to see if he can bring some class in disposal to the bulls of Wines and co.

Does Marshall get a game with Lycett now joined?

Interesting options for the coaches to consider.

Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pardon the intrusion, thought I'd have a crack -

Clurey Jonas DBJ

Houston Howard Bonner

Boak Wines Westhoff

Motlop Marshall Watts

Gray Dixon Gray

Ryder Ebert Burton*

SPP Rozee Rockliff Lycett

* be interesting to see where Burton ends up. I've thrown him in the middle to see if he can bring some class in disposal to the bulls of Wines and co.

Does Marshall get a game with Lycett now joined?

Interesting options for the coaches to consider.
In my opinion only one of Watts and Marshall can play, and I would personally have Marshall over Watts.

Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FB: D.Houston | T.Clurey | T.Jonas
HB: H.Hartlett | D.Howard | D.Byrne-Jones
C: J.Westhoff | O.Wines | R.Burton
R: S.Lycett | S.Powell-Pepper | T.Rockliff
HF: K.Farrell | T.Marshall | C.Rozee
FF: R.Gray | C.Dixon | P.Ryder
I: S.Motlop | R.Bonner | T.Boak | B.Ebert

Also considering dropping Ebert or Boak for someone that has a big preseason. Thinking maybe someone like Atley, Butters, Duursma or Drew could push for Round 1, even Mayes potentially.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Sounds like Burton will play half back

Cant remember which player was speaking but said with Burton and Hartlett coming back into the fold would need to find another spot..... oh it was Bonner now i think of it. He was saying he could be used on a wing potentially left side wing that Polec seemed to hold.

Ill be interested in Rozee's role i feel he will be a wingman with Westhoff and Bonner this year.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Burton isn't a wingman. He's a 3rd key back, possibly a tall flanker or even a 3rd tall forward. If you look at all the feedback on him on the Hawks board, he's a bit soft over the ground ball, and not suited at all for the midfield.

#bonnerforwing

Burton89onegoal

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thinking about how we may line up in Round 1:

*Burton seems likely to be in defence
*Some uncertainty about Hartlett, Dixon and Ryder. I will assume that all wont play first round of the year due to recovering/not match-fit.

My guess:

FF Farrell, Marshall, Watts
HF Rockliff, Westhoff, Motlop
C Rozee, Wines, Bonner
HB Burton, Howard, Houston
FB Byrne-Jones, Clurey, Jonas

Lycett
Powell-Pepper
R Gray

INT Boak, Lienert, Frampton, S Gray

EMERG Mayes

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
FF Farrell, Dixon, Ryder,
HF Marshall Westhoff, Motlop
C Mayes, Wines, Bonner
HB Burton, Howard, Houston
FB Byrne-Jones, Clurey, Jonas

Lycett
Powell-Pepper
R Gray

INT Boak, Rockliff, Watts, Rozee

EMERG S Gray Frampton Lienert

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FB: Clurey - Jonas - Houston
HB: Hartlett - Howard - DBJ
C: Motlop - Wines - Burton
R: Ryder - SPP - R Gray
HF: Boak - Dixon - Westhoff
FF: Farrell - Marshall - Rozee

INT: Rockliff - Butters - Patmore - Lycett

EMERGENCY: Ebert, Watts, Bonner

Got to admit, I'm not sure how Watts fits in the side. I think we'd be going too tall if I included him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
for me Boak, Ebert & Rockliff are all dispensable, id only be playing 2 of them at any time
Butters has all the hallmarks of being a great pressure small forward and it would be a good way to get him into the team untill he has the size and tank to cut it in the midfield
Watts is pure depth and only getting a game though injury
Rozee i think could play wing straight away, him and Motlop on either side

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
for me Boak, Ebert & Rockliff are all dispensable, id only be playing 2 of them at any time
Butters has all the hallmarks of being a great pressure small forward and it would be a good way to get him into the team untill he has the size and tank to cut it in the midfield

Rozee will struggle to play wing, will lack the fitness. He may play bursts but expect more forward this year until he builds his fitness which will take time.

Maybe only one of Rockliff, Boak and Ebo don’t think we can play all 3.

Butters looks good but definitely needs to build size, had the pink cap on during the match sim on Friday. Think he’s a while off but looks good.

Agree on Watts, unless he earns a spot on the wing I think he’s depth. He has the pace agility and ball use to be an elite winger, his height is an added bonus. Does he have the willingness to work hard enough and win his own ball when required ?

Jan 14, 2008
Salisbury, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Man City, NY Jets
FF: Farrell, Marshall, Ryder (C)
HF: Rockliff, Westhoff, Rozee
C: Motlop, Wines (VC), Boak
HB: Burton, Howard, Houston
FB: Byrne-Jones, Clurey, Jonas

FOL: Lycett Powell-Pepper RGray

INT: Mayes/SGray, Lienert/Garner, Butters/Patmore, Ebert

EMG: Bonner, Atley, Watts, Garner/Lienert, Patmore/Butters, SGray/Mayes

INJ: Hartlett, Dixon

Remaining: Broadbent, Drew, McKenzie, Pudney, Amon, Frampton, Ladhams, Trengove, Duursma, Hayes, Johnson, Woodcock, Cox, Grundy, Hewett, Fredrick

We aren’t too bad this year, I thought we would be looking far weaker! We need to be brave and play a couple of kids early!

Magpies:
FF: Cox, Frampton, Ladhams
HF: Johnson, Watts, Woodcock
C: Patmore, Atley, Bonner
HB: Fredrick, McKenzie, Hewett
FB: Garner, Grundy, Broadbent
FOL: Hayes, SGray, Drew
INT: Duursma, Trengove, Pudney, Amon

Last edited:

Boak, Ebert and Rockliff are all dispensable yet two 18 year olds who have a total of zero AFL games between them should be strongly considered for the starting 22?

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Boak, Ebert and Rockliff are all dispensable yet two 18 year olds who have a total of zero AFL games between them should be strongly considered for the starting 22?
yes absolutely, ive most probably got more time for rockliff than the other 2, the club has leadership problems and Boak & Ebert are a big reason for it, they had their time and failed, now they are dispensible,

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
yes absolutely, ive most probably got more time for rockliff than the other 2, the club has leadership problems and Boak & Ebert are a big reason for it, they had their time and failed, now they are dispensible,

That’s a fair point. Those two have led the Midfeild that has not turned up and failed to deliver on too many occasions and certainly lack pace when that’s what we need and are behind SPP and Wines.

How ever, Butters is a skinny kid coming of a shoulder reco and not yet doing full contact training. He is a fair way of being best 22, but that’s not because of a lack of talent. Doesn’t have the body for AFL, yet.

In my opinion only one of Watts and Marshall can play, and I would personally have Marshall over Watts.
Marshall is not necessarily a starting 22 player. I had very high hopes for him last year but they weren't borne out. Needs to earn his spot in the pre-season.
Watts is not an option. He was a failure for us. If ever he was going to pull his finger out and ignite his fading career it was last year. He can serve out his contract cleaning boots and tidying the gym.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back