HB Burton Howard Broadbent
C Watts Boak Bonner
R Lycett SPP Drew
HF Rozee Marshall Butters
FF Ebert Frampton R.Gray
INT Duursma Clurey Liernert Rockliff Cox Johnson Trengove

Ryder - Rested after rolled ankle.
Frampton, Cox Johnson come in after the SANFL trial game

Hartlett to come in for a hit out if he is over his knee soreness. Coming of an ACL that does worry me, but i'm not sure how standard it may be ??? Probably Trengove to miss out.

Edit: Forgot Westhoff, obviously a walk up start Rnd 1. But wont go back and change it.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
JLT 2 (8 man bench still ?)

FB Houston Jonas DBJ
HB Burton Howard Broadbent
C Watts Boak Bonner
R Lycett SPP Drew
HF Rozee Marshall Butters
FF Ebert Frampton R.Gray
INT Duursma Clurey Liernert Rockliff Cox Johnson Trengove

Ryder - Rested after rolled ankle.
Frampton, Cox Johnson come in after the SANFL trial game

Hartlett to come in for a hit out if he is over his knee soreness. Coming of an ACL that does worry me, but i'm not sure how standard it may be ??? Probably Trengove to miss out.
Should rest RGray too.
Hope this season doesn’t end up as the usual musical chairs of not quite good enough players.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
After the draft I had:

FF: S Gray, Marshall, R Gray
HF: Rozee, Dixon, Boak
C: Motlop, Ebert, Westhoff
HB: Houston, Howard, Hartlett
FB: Byrne-Jones, Clurey, Jonas
R: Ryder, Wines, SPP

INT: Burton, Atley, Butters, Lycett

EMG: Watts, Rockliff, Duursma, Bonner, Farrell, Mayes, Lienert, Broadbent

After JLT 1;

FF: Ebert, Marshall, R Gray
HF: Rozee, Dixon, Westhoff
C: Motlop, Boak, Butters

INT: Lycett, Burton, Duursma, Rockliff

EMG: Atley, S Gray, Watts, Bonner, Farrell, Mayes, Lienert, Broadbent, Drew

Ebert's positional move and the pushing of Boak into the middle gets a tick.
Westy not wing, but more forward.
Butters can have the wing, he was brilliant
Duursma comes onto my bench from emg, and Rockliff comes into the side as last picked due to the fact Atley and/or Drew unfortunately haven't pushed him out just yet.
Drew joins my emergency list, coming from nowhere.

For Rnd 1, I'd think Watts replaces Dixon, Drew replaces Wines, and Bonner likely takes HH spot.

Our midfield is crazy weak without Wines, the next couple draft have to find us some really good inside mids.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
After the draft I had:

FF: S Gray, Marshall, R Gray
HF: Rozee, Dixon, Boak
C: Motlop, Ebert, Westhoff

INT: Burton, Atley, Butters, Lycett

EMG: Watts, Rockliff, Duursma, Bonner, Farrell, Mayes, Lienert, Broadbent

After JLT 1;

FF: Ebert, Marshall, R Gray
HF: Rozee, Dixon, Westhoff
C: Motlop, Boak, Butters

INT: Lycett, Burton, Duursma, Rockliff

EMG: Atley, S Gray, Watts, Bonner, Farrell, Mayes, Lienert, Broadbent, Drew

Ebert's positional move and the pushing of Boak into the middle gets a tick.
Westy not wing, but more forward.
Butters can have the wing, he was brilliant
Duursma comes onto my bench from emg, and Rockliff comes into the side as last picked due to the fact Atley and/or Drew unfortunately haven't pushed him out just yet.
Drew joins my emergency list, coming from nowhere.

For Rnd 1, I'd think Watts replaces Dixon, Drew replaces Wines, and Bonner likely takes HH spot.

Our midfield is crazy weak without Wines, the next couple draft have to find us some really good inside mids.

I wouldn't say crazy weak, we do need Ollie back but if Boak keeps playing like he did yesterday and SPP (first and last quarters) we should be fine with Drew, Rockliff and Robbie pinch hitting. A bit is resting on the shoulders of Drew and Atley developing fast though. We have young J.Mead F/S eligible end of this year, hopefully he has a bit of growth spurt and get closer in size to his old man (without losing out on any pace or mobility) could become another handy big bodied mid for us in years to come.

No major complaints. Im close to going Drew ahead of Rockliff. Maybe i'm being harsh on him but i wasn't super impressed with his game. Other than when he hit Marshall lace out didn't seem to do a heap for me. Drew, most clearances for us and went at at 93.5% Disposal efficiency, we deed good ball users !. Taller, better ball user, quicker. When Wines comes back in Drew is probably a better fit. But theres another JLT game to sort that out and more than likely the first few games of the year until Wines is back.

Marshall is very lucky to be Named, i love the kid as much as everyone else but he did nothing. His little handballs aren't enough nor are his chases, yes they are good but that needs to be the icing on the cake not the main course. Needs to demand the ball and lead up more and be more dominant in the air. AND Kick goals. Especially if he is at FF with no Dixon. After the two trial games (AFL&SANFL) Frampton properly deserves a shot in the 2nd JLT game at earning Dixons spot in round 1. A repeat of yesterday and Marshall shouldn't play. He needs to get selected because he wins us games not because of 'moments' at training and in games.

Not sure i can squeeze Duuursma in, he sure is close though and looks good but if on a wing probably needs to find a touch more of it, Rozee probably gets away with finding less of it yesterday as he got 2 goals (Robbed of a third shot by the umps, and i'm backing in he'd of kicked it) Id like to keep Bonner in, can be so dangerous with his run and kick. Needs to given more of a license to use it and if in doubt go long into space to our half forwards, if we can inject pace into this part of the ground that should be a dangerous play for us.

Last edited:
My R1 team after the first JLT game

In: Zak Butters
Out: Hamish Hartlett (inj)

B: Darcy Byrne-Jones ~ Tom Clurey ~ Dougal Howard
HB: Dan Houston ~ Thomas Jonas ~ Matthew Broadbent
C: Willem Drew ~ Travis Boak ~ Ryan Burton
HF: Steven Motlop ~ Jack Watts ~ Robbie Gray
F: Brad Ebert ~ Todd Marshall ~ Justin Westhoff
R: Patrick Ryder ~ Tom Rockliff ~ Sam Powell-Pepper

Int: Scott Lycett ~ Jarrod Lienert ~ Connor Rozee ~ Zak Butters

Butters replaces the injured Hartlett, not sure he'll be ready for R1.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why is Hartlett all of a sudden in doubt for round 1? Up until this week, I thought he was gonna be right for at least 1 JLT and then Rd1 onward.

Knee soreness from training a week or so back, set him back a bit as they pulled his training load back. Worrying sign coming of an ACL.

Not sure if he is going to play any game time JLT2. Hartlett all but ruled himself out, said hed want a couple of games under his belt before coming back and they'd be for the Magpies.

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FB: Clurey - Jonas - Houston
HB: Hartlett - Howard - DBJ
C: Motlop - Wines - Burton
R: Ryder - SPP - R Gray
HF: Boak - Dixon - Westhoff
FF: Farrell - Marshall - Rozee

INT: Rockliff - Butters - Patmore - Lycett

EMERGENCY: Ebert, Watts, Bonner

Got to admit, I'm not sure how Watts fits in the side. I think we'd be going too tall if I included him.
New round 1 team. To be updated again after JLT2:

FB: Lienert - Jonas - Houston
HB: Hartlett - Howard - Bonner
C: Motlop - Drew - Duursma
R: Ryder - SPP - R Gray
HF: Ebert - Watts - Westhoff
FF: Butters - Marshall - Rozee

INT: Rockliff - Boak - Amon - Lycett

EMERGENCY: Burton, DBJ, Patmore

Wines in for the worst performed of Rockliff and Drew once fit, and Dixon in for the worst performed of Marshall and Watts once fit.

If Sam Gray is in our side in round 1, we're taking the piss.

Why is Hartlett all of a sudden in doubt for round 1? Up until this week, I thought he was gonna be right for at least 1 JLT and then Rd1 onward.

Harltett has already said that he doesn't feel he has the fitness to get through an AFL game yet. Might not see him until R3.

Not really sure what Duursma has done to convince people he's in our Round 1 side. Athletically he's got it, but he's been clumsy and error prone in both our games so far. Still needs some work in the SANFL IMO.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Amazing what happens when you trade your lock centre and wing in one off-season to replace them with a bench ruckman, HBF and draftees how much worse on paper the team looks.

Only compounded by the Marshall's DBJ's and Bonners of the side not taking the next step.

probably least confident i've been in a best 22 since 2013.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not really sure what Duursma has done to convince people he's in our Round 1 side. Athletically he's got it, but he's been clumsy and error prone in both our games so far. Still needs some work in the SANFL IMO.

I don't think he's in the round 1 side, but not too far off. A couple of mistake yes, maybe down to nerves, especially that first kick yesterday. Will be good to see how we goes with another game, needs to find more of the footy if he wants to play round 1. 9 Disposals isn't enough for a mid.

A touch more composure and confidence at AFL level will do him a world of good.

rellim

Senior List
May 6, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FB: Byrne-Jones - Jonas - Lienert
HB: Hartlett - Howard - Houston
C: Motlop - Powell-Pepper - Bonner
HF: Westhoff - Marshall - Ebert
FF: Butters - Dixon - Ryder
R: Lycett - R. Gray - Wines

INT: Boak, Rozee, Drew, Burton

With the injuries to players in bold, I can see Rockliff, Watts and Broadbent playing Round 1. Depending on form Rockliff may keep Drew out of the team when Wines comes back. Here's hoping Drew can build on a decent performance yesterday.

Notable omission most people have in their teams is Clurey but I just struggle to see what he brings defensively that Lienert can't provide. Lienert is a much better user of the ball by foot so that puts him in the team for me ahead of Clurey.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I'm selecting him purely because I saw a weak midfield yesterday that's gonna cop a pasting at times, and for mine we just need to fast track the kids that could make it better. He's not in our immediate best 22, but he's in our future 22, and right now we aren't playing for the now, we're rebuilding for the future IMO.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Id like to see him come in, he's really fast and an elite ball user. Was quite in the U23 game and missed out in the first JLT game so is probably a little way off at the moment.

He’s in my Round 1 team based on his impressive finish to last season.

Hopefully he gets a go in JLT 2 next week to really put his hand up.

Yeah, he's not in my Supercoach team anymore. Theirs no more definitive action than that.

Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FB: D.Byrne-Jones | T.Clurey | T.Jonas
HB: R.Bonner | D.Howard | D.Houston
C: J.Westhoff | T.Boak | R.Burton
R: S.Lycett | S.Powell-Pepper | T.Rockliff
HF: S.Motlop | J.Watts | C.Rozee
FF: R.Gray | T.Marshall | P.Ryder
I: Z.Butters | J.Lienert | W.Drew | B.Ebert

Emg: Farrell | Frampton | Broadbent | Duursma

When Wines, Dixon and Hartlett are ready, Drew, Watts and Lienert, Bonner or Clurey most likely come out.

Hang on Grundy 8 weeks????? What'd I miss
This is according to Lee Gaskin from the AFL website, he didn't delve into why it's now 8 weeks. The club hasn't said anything either.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
B: Darcy Byrne-Jones ~ Tom Clurey ~ Dan Houston
HB: Sam Mayes ~ Thomas Jonas ~ Matthew Broadbent
C: Willem Drew ~ Travis Boak ~ Ryan Burton
HF: Steven Motlop ~ Jack Watts ~ Robbie Gray
F: Brad Ebert ~ Todd Marshall ~ Justin Westhoff
R: Scott Lycett ~ Tom Rockliff ~ Sam Powell-Pepper

Int: Xavier Duursma ~ Connor Rozee ~ Zak Butters ~ Billy Frampton