Opinion The Evolution of Your Best 22 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

So for mine I've gone with the following assumptions:
  • The forward press game plan is staying the same
  • We need to the ball in the hands of better kicks more often all over the park, but we're struggling for numbers in that department
  • Any tall defenders we bring in through DFA will be s**t
  • I've not included draftees and would potentially update with first rounders...maybe Mead
  • We're rebuilding
So with that in mind I'm going to break down the team by a few key types of roles and then I'll finish with the more traditional way of displaying it.

Midfield

Rucks

Lycett (#1 ruck)
Ladhams (Get games into him for the future coach)

First / Second Possession Mids

Boak (Our best player in his best position in 2019, long may it continue)
Rockliff (Solid enough ball winner without hitting the heights we hoped for)
Wines (Will be a bull again with a full-preseason, but still won't be able to kick)

Quality User Mids

Houston (give him more midfield time please)
Duursma (runs all day, can kick better than most of our mids, play for development)
Amon (I'm not super enthusiastic but he can kick and had a decent 2019)
DBJ (This is going to look super weird and out of place but I think he's very versatile and in my 22 could play in the guts and down back if required)

Forwards

Talls
Dixon (best tall option by far, is pretty good at forward pressure and playing on the ground inside 50)
Marshall (is tall, play for development, but does put good pressure on and tackling inside 50)

Pressure Forwards
Ebert (can take a contested mark, good tackling and pressure - suits the game plan and can play in the mid rotation)
Rozee (freak but does alot of team things as well, including pressure - I'd have him increasing midfield time as well)

Freak
R.Gray

Finishers
Butters (has x-factor, puts pressure on as well, is strong at converting opportunities)
Farrell (possibly a controversial choice but he is an excellent finisher of both set shots and general play. We struggle to convert opportunities into goals - he needs to work on getting the ball more but if we can find a way to get him the ball more often, our overall conversion will increase)

Defence

Talls
Jonas (what choice do we have?)
Clurey (he's pretty solid)

Third Tall
Watts / Burton (Tallish, can kick, good at rebounding)

Flanker Force Three
Lienert (ok 1-1, can kick)
The other of Burton / Watts (tallish, can kick, good at rebounding)
Hartlett (Contested beast in the back half, mopping up ground balls)

Lockdown Small
Garner (good on the ground, but in his few games had a really good 1-1 contest win rate)

TL;DR

B: Burton, Clurey, Garner
HB: Lienert, Jonas, Hartlett
C: Duursma, Wines, Amon
HF: R.Gray, Dixon, Ebert
FF: Butters, Marshall, Rozee
R: Lycett, Boak, Houston
I/C: Watts, Ladhams, DBJ, Farrell

Notable Omissions:

Hoff - great utility and can come in as soon as someone goes down
SPP - love his contest but is an absolute liability by foot - depth option unless we go full rebuild and swap for Rockliff
Motlop - is it a notable omission?
Hayes - I'd definitely try and get him in at some point though not sure how if rucks stay fit
Drew - solid but not spectacular so far, around the mark

So for mine I've gone with the following assumptions:
  • The forward press game plan is staying the same
  • We need to the ball in the hands of better kicks more often all over the park, but we're struggling for numbers in that department
  • Any tall defenders we bring in through DFA will be s**t
  • I've not included draftees and would potentially update with first rounders...maybe Mead
  • We're rebuilding
So with that in mind I'm going to break down the team by a few key types of roles and then I'll finish with the more traditional way of displaying it.

Midfield

Rucks

Lycett (#1 ruck)
Ladhams (Get games into him for the future coach)

First / Second Possession Mids

Boak (Our best player in his best position in 2019, long may it continue)
Rockliff (Solid enough ball winner without hitting the heights we hoped for)
Wines (Will be a bull again with a full-preseason, but still won't be able to kick)

Quality User Mids

Houston (give him more midfield time please)
Duursma (runs all day, can kick better than most of our mids, play for development)
Amon (I'm not super enthusiastic but he can kick and had a decent 2019)
DBJ (This is going to look super weird and out of place but I think he's very versatile and in my 22 could play in the guts and down back if required)

Forwards

Talls
Dixon (best tall option by far, is pretty good at forward pressure and playing on the ground inside 50)
Marshall (is tall, play for development, but does put good pressure on and tackling inside 50)

Pressure Forwards
Ebert (can take a contested mark, good tackling and pressure - suits the game plan and can play in the mid rotation)
Rozee (freak but does alot of team things as well, including pressure - I'd have him increasing midfield time as well)

Freak
R.Gray

Finishers
Butters (has x-factor, puts pressure on as well, is strong at converting opportunities)
Farrell (possibly a controversial choice but he is an excellent finisher of both set shots and general play. We struggle to convert opportunities into goals - he needs to work on getting the ball more but if we can find a way to get him the ball more often, our overall conversion will increase)

Defence

Talls
Jonas (what choice do we have?)
Clurey (he's pretty solid)

Third Tall
Watts / Burton (Tallish, can kick, good at rebounding)

Flanker Force Three
Lienert (ok 1-1, can kick)
The other of Burton / Watts (tallish, can kick, good at rebounding)
Hartlett (Contested beast in the back half, mopping up ground balls)

Lockdown Small
Garner (good on the ground, but in his few games had a really good 1-1 contest win rate)

TL;DR

B: Burton, Clurey, Garner
HB: Lienert, Jonas, Hartlett
C: Duursma, Wines, Amon
HF: R.Gray, Dixon, Ebert
FF: Butters, Marshall, Rozee
R: Lycett, Boak, Houston
I/C: Watts, Ladhams, DBJ, Farrell

Notable Omissions:

Hoff - great utility and can come in as soon as someone goes down
SPP - love his contest but is an absolute liability by foot - depth option unless we go full rebuild and swap for Rockliff
Motlop - is it a notable omission?
Hayes - I'd definitely try and get him in at some point though not sure how if rucks stay fit
Drew - solid but not spectacular so far, around the mark

Unearthing Houston and Boak’s renaissance has been a spectacular bailout for the regime after the disastrous captures of Rocklop and the troubling progress of SPP, Drew and Atley.

Even so, jeepers.

There’s always a bolter, could it be Hayes?

B Burton. Cluery. Garner
hB DBJ. Jonas. Houston
C. Duursma. Wines. Amon
HF Rozee Dixon Butters
FF RGray. Marshall Cox
R. Lycett. Boak. SPP
Int Hayes, pick 12, Hamish, Rockliff

Hmmm

There’s always a bolter, could it be Hayes?

B Burton. Cluery. Garner
hB DBJ. Jonas. Houston
C. Duursma. Wines. Amon
HF Rozee Dixon Butters
FF RGray. Marshall Cox
R. Lycett. Boak. SPP
Int Hayes, pick 12, Hamish, Rockliff

Hmmm
Names Cox, calls Hayes the bolter. Lol

Love everyone's efforts and enthusiasm, but our best 22 is very clearly:

FF: S. Gray, S. Gray, S. Gray
HF: S. Gray, S. Gray, S. Gray
C: S. Gray, S. Gray, S. Gray
HB: S. Gray, S. Gray, S. Gray
FB: S. Gray, S. Gray, S. Gray
Foll: S. Gray, S. Gray, S. Gray
Int: S. Gray, S. Gray, S. Gray, S. Gray
Emg: S. Gray

F: R Gray…..Dixon......Rozee

HF: Butters…...Marshall...…Ebert

C: Amon......Wines...…Duursma

HB: Burton.….Clurey…….Bonner

FB: DBJ.....Jonas......Garner

R: Lycett…..Boak.....Houston

Int: Westhoff….Ladhams....SPP....Drew

Other: Hartlett…..Watts....Rockliff….Motlop….S Gray…..Hayes.....McKenzie.....Farrell

We're very light on for depth.

F: RGray....Marshall....Rozee

HF: Butters....Dixon....Ebert

C: Amon....Wines....Duursma

HB: Burton....Jonas....Watts

FB: DBJ....Clurey....Hartlett

R: Lycett....Boak....Houston

Intercange: Ladhams, Westhoff, SPP, Garner

Mentions: Motlop *If warranted through continued good form in sanfl like to see him get a crack at forward pocket

Hayes *be good to see him push and get a few games at afl level this year, very promising

Pick 12/18 *based on the three last year and Geoff Parker’s good run with our drafting, I’d imagine we’ll see one or both debut this year if warranted

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My current thoughts...

B: Clurey ~ Jonas ~ Garner
HB: Burton ~ Watts ~ DBJ
C: Houston ~ Boak ~ Duursma
HF: Butters ~ Dixon ~ Rozee
F: R.Gray ~ Marshall ~ Westhoff
Fol: Lycett ~ Wines ~ Rockliff

Int: Ladhams ~ Amon ~ Hartlett ~ Ebert

Last edited:
FB: Jonas Clurey Burton
HB: Byrne-Jones Watts Hartlett
C: Amon Wines Duursma
HF: Rozee Marshall S.Gray
FF: Butters Dixon R.Gray

R: Lycett Boak Houston

INT: Westhoff Ebert Rockliff Motlop

EMG: Ladhams Drew Bonner Powell-Pepper

FB: Jonas Clurey Burton
HB: Byrne-Jones Watts Hartlett
C: Amon Wines Duursma
HF: Rozee Marshall S.Gray
FF: Butters Dixon R.Gray

R: Lycett Boak Houston

INT: Westhoff Ebert Rockliff Motlop

EMG: Ladhams Drew Bonner Powell-Pepper

Is that an interchange bench or retirement village?

Anyone without Rockliff in their best 22 is having a laugh. Looked exactly like the player we thought we were recruiting before (yet) a(nother) shoulder injury derailed his season. His joints might be made of wet tissue paper, but a fit and healthy Rockliff is still a walk-up start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone without Rockliff in their best 22 is having a laugh. Looked exactly like the player we thought we were recruiting before (yet) a(nother) shoulder injury derailed his season. His joints might be made of wet tissue paper, but a fit and healthy Rockliff is still a walk-up start.

If we were serious he wouldn’t be though.

We’re chockablockful of bullocking inside mids, and for the club’s sake, all of them need the positional TOG% that Rockliff hogs (on the odd occasion he’s actually fit).

Would much rather see Wines, SPP, Drew, Atley and whoever we might draft inside, let alone Boak, who found himself around the cape to accommodate Rock and Ollie towards the end of the year.

F: R Gray…..Dixon......Rozee

HF: Butters…...Marshall...…Ebert

C: Amon......Wines...…Duursma

HB: Burton.….Clurey…….Bonner

FB: DBJ.....Jonas......Garner

R: Lycett…..Boak.....Houston

Int: Westhoff….Ladhams....SPP....Drew

Other: Hartlett…..Watts....Rockliff….Motlop….S Gray…..Hayes.....McKenzie.....Farrell

We're very light on for depth.
Hartlett is an absolute walk up start.

FB: Jonas Clurey DBJ
HB: Burton Watts Hartlett
Int: Bonner
Depth: Garner, McKenzie, Lienert

HF: Rozee Dixon Motlop
FF: Gray Marshall Ladhams
Int: Butters
Depth: Farrell, Ebert, Cox, Buzza

C: Duursma Boak Amon
R: Lycett Wines Houston
Int: SPP, Westhoff
Depth: Rockliff, Drew

If Rockliff is playing come round 1, then our midfield is truly screwed.

I agree, but it’s hard to see him not being picked at the start of the season. I guess if we are out of contention early then the coaches may make the decision to drop him. How many years of contract does he have left? Probably two more years?

For Jack Watts, I think this will be his last year. If he cannot contribute, delist!

Motlop also has two years left I think? He and Rockliff both signed 4-year contract?

Marshall based on his last 18 month record, Dixon based on his last 2 years, Hartlett based on his North Melbourne game should never probably even be contemplated without solid SANFL performances behind them, to play them in round 1 - just because - is accepting the same garbage and thats what you will get.

the only way your gonna turn Motlop is to single him out and thrash him hard at training with lots of extra sessions, if he doesnt like it and wants to walk then thats good, but unless you do that there's is no hope of change

Remove this Banner Ad

Back