Opinion The Evolution of Your Best 22 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm....I like Marshall but he absolutely needs to prove he should be best 22....he is a huge piece of the puzzle this year, if he can stand up and take a few grabs, take and beat the 2nd best defender each week it goes a long way to us returning to finals......if not we're a tall forward short, Dixon gets swamped and we go no where.....no pressure Todd.....show me....

15 - 5

Butters Dixon Gray
Ebert Marshall Rozee
Amon Wines Duursma
Burton Clurey Hartlett
Houston Jonas Byrne-Jones

Lycett Boak Rockliff

2R IM F D

2R- A preseason battle between Ladhams and Hayes
F- Motlop, Farrell, Bergman, Williams, Cox or Woodcock
IM- Drew, Powell-Pepper, Alley or Mead
D- Watts, Westhoff, Bonner, Garner, McKenzie

So the First 18 is settled- you don't put games into Marshall, Rozee, Butters and Duursma in 2019 only to pull back in 2020.

It's the last 4 spots that are up for grabs. In bold are the incumbents at this point but those spots are ripe for the taking by someone who shows something in pre-season. If we play an U23 game again this year, it will be a fair dinkum fight for those last 4 spots.

That first 18 has got to be a lock, huge fan of it.

My only questions would be around positions and the bench. Houston could be playing inside mid next year, opening up that defensive spot and taking the IM bench spot. Westhoff too may not be in defence and could feasibly be in the mix with the two resting rucks or the mid bunch as a winger.

I'm also not sold on us taking a second ruck into next year. Ladhams didnt show enough as a forward and I'm not certain Hayes is ready. If that's the case I think there's a chance for Bergman, Georgiades or Hoff up forward.

I thought I might have a crack at this so here we go

Power

F: Wines | Buzza | R.Gray

HF: Butters | Dixon | Ebert

C: Amon | Boak | Houston

Foll: Lycett | J.Mead | Rozee

HB: Hartlett | Jonas | Burton

B: DBJ | Clurey | Watts

I/C: Farrell | Duursma | SPP | Garner

EMG: Rockliff | Drew | Williams | Westhoff

Magpies

F: Motlop | Hayes | Cox

HF: Williams | Westhoff | Woodcock

C: Mayes | Atley | Bergman

Foll: Ladhams | Drew | Sutcliffe

HB: Patmore | Goldsack | Bonner

B: Frederick | McKenzie | Lienert

I/C: Georgiadis | Pasini | Burgoyne | Grundy

So yeah that's my Power and Magpies Best 22 if you have any questions please reply back so I can hopefully answer them

I forgot SPP so sorry about that

Power

Magpies

So yeah that's my Power and Magpies Best 22 if you have any questions please reply back so I can hopefully answer them

No Marshall as well

Butters Dixon Gray
Ebert Marshall Rozee
Amon Wines Duursma
Burton Clurey Hartlett
Houston Jonas Byrne-Jones

Lycett Boak Rockliff

2R IM F D

2R- A preseason battle between Ladhams and Hayes
F- Motlop, Farrell, Bergman, Williams, Cox or Woodcock
IM- Drew, Powell-Pepper, Alley or Mead
D- Watts, Westhoff, Bonner, Garner, McKenzie

So the First 18 is settled- you don't put games into Marshall, Rozee, Butters and Duursma in 2019 only to pull back in 2020.

It's the last 4 spots that are up for grabs. In bold are the incumbents at this point but those spots are ripe for the taking by someone who shows something in pre-season. If we play an U23 game again this year, it will be a fair dinkum fight for those last 4 spots.
Don't mind it

Power

Magpies

Wines in a Forward Pocket ? Really ?

Wines in a Forward Pocket ? Really ?

He will be in the middle eventually but I couldn't find a spot in the middle at the moment[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
FF Butters, Marshall, Gray
HF Rozee, Dixon, Bergman
C Amon, Boak, Duursma
HB Hartlett, Jonas, Garner
FB Burton, Clurey, Byrne-Jones

RUCK
Lycett
Wines
Houston

INT Ladhams, Watts, Powell-Pepper, Ebert

EMERG Motlop

Forward mix is going to be so interesting this year:
who takes s garys spot?

presumebly as of right now best 6 stucture could be:
ff:ladhams dixon gray
hf:rozee marshall butters

Does ken do what ken does best and only play one of ladhams and marshall?
Rozee could possibly be moved out to play more mid. As does r gray

You dont recruit three forwards with high picks just for them to sit in the twos especially some with ready made bodies and kens likeliness to play 1rounders straight away. Theyre all different types of forwards: williams is a monfties/wingard lead up forward pocket. Georgiades is more of a lynch up the ground chain player and Bergman is more of a flanker high hurt factor low possesion player as of right now.

In saying that where do our young untried forwards fit in? Tobin cox will debut at somepoint. Woodcock relegated to rookie list but can play. farrell is a proven finisher and has kicked bags at afl level just needs to up his possesion count. Then you have old mate motlop. A returning and reinvented marking forward in Ebert. And ready made buzza and hayes

Thats about 8-10 players vying for similar spots. Given Rozee and Gray could very well play more mid. Ladhams and Marshall could be head to head for the same spot. The only real lock is dixon but there could be more to open up.

Forward mix is going to be so interesting this year:
who takes s garys spot?

presumebly as of right now best 6 stucture could be:
ff:ladhams dixon gray
hf:rozee marshall butters

Does ken do what ken does best and only play one of ladhams and marshall?
Rozee could possibly be moved out to play more mid. As does r gray

You dont recruit three forwards with high picks just for them to sit in the twos especially some with ready made bodies and kens likeliness to play 1rounders straight away. Theyre all different types of forwards: williams is a monfties/wingard lead up forward pocket. Georgiades is more of a lynch up the ground chain player and Bergman is more of a flanker high hurt factor low possesion player as of right now.

In saying that where do our young untried forwards fit in? Tobin cox will debut at somepoint. Woodcock relegated to rookie list but can play. farrell is a proven finisher and has kicked bags at afl level just needs to up his possesion count. Then you have old mate motlop. A returning and reinvented marking forward in Ebert. And ready made buzza and hayes

Thats about 8-10 players vying for similar spots. Given Rozee and Gray could very well play more mid. Ladhams and Marshall could be head to head for the same spot. The only real lock is dixon but there could be more to open up.
I still think the starting forward 6 is settled- Dixon, Marshall, Butters, Rozee, Gray and Ebert. You don’t put games into Butters, Rozee and Marshall in 2019 to retreat in 2020. I can’t fit any of these guys into a starting midfield role ahead of Lycett, Wines, Boak, Duursma, Amon, Rockliff- with Powell-Pepper and Drew as back up.

That leaves 1 spot up forward and a s**t fight for it: Ladhams (or use Westhoff as 2nd ruck), Farrell, Motlop, Bergman, Williams, Georgiades, Cox, Woodcock, Patmore,Mead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F R.Gray - C.Dixon - C.Rozee
HF Z.Butters - T.Marshell - B.Ebert
C K.Amon - T.Boak - X.Duursma
HB R.Burton - T.Jonas - R. Bonner
B D.Byrne-Jones - T Clurey - H. Hartlett
R S.Lycett- O.Wines - D.Houston
Int J.Westhoff- S.Motlop - M.Bergman - W.Drew

Fighting for best 22
Inj T.Rockliff- D.Williams- Inj J.Watts - S.Powell-Pepper - P.Ladhams - K.Farrell

Last edited:
agree

but would you describe him as a KPF?

Haha. The endless debate. Is Gunston a KPF? To my mind he is, but I understand why some question that. He is not the prototypical Lockett, Ablett or Carey. He is more of an O'Loughlin type.

There are 'nice' KPF's who are successful. They need to have the confidence and competitive spirit to get the most out of themselves though. I would point to O'Loughlin, Dunstall, Hawkins and Schultz as examples. Gunston too. Marshall certainly needs to at least develop a body which enables him to be more of a contested threat as well, especially for our purposes.

Haha. The endless debate. Is Gunston a KPF? To my mind he is, but I understand why some question that. He is not the prototypical Lockett, Ablett or Carey. He is more of an O'Loughlin type.

There are 'nice' KPF's who are successful. They need to have the confidence and competitive spirit to get the most out of themselves though. I would point to O'Loughlin, Dunstall, Hawkins and Schultz as examples. Gunston too. Marshall certainly needs to at least develop a body which enables him to be more of a contested threat as well, especially for our purposes.

There would be no debate if he was in the league of those guys

2020 will be an important year for the kid to determine his role long term

I’d be keen to see Motlop in the AFL team when he merits selection and definitely not guaranteed all year in the team
General one to apply first and foremost to every player over 25 years of age or under 185cm tall.

was browsing the coming and going for 2020 says that weve picked up two players from sturt:

Harrison Thornton 189cm 83kg forward 21 years old

Sean Samblich 183cm 79kg 26 years old that did his acl in 2018 and apparently retired???

I don’t think Ebert is a lock in the forwardline. Play some youth. Robbie also misses a lot of shots at goal- so perhaps he could play SGrays highest half forward role like Gablett. Opening a spot for a small forward that’s not Ebert or A.Young

Good kicking should be prioritised in defence and midfield as there the ones kicking into our forwardline

So Watts over Westhoff in the last defender spot for me.

still not liking the Wines/Boak/Rockliff/SPP/Drew all in the midfield - kicking/leg speed - again. Perhaps only 2 Spots for these guys max. Rozee, Houston might help this, maybe Burton might push into midfield too - really rate his kicking.

still not liking the Wines/Boak/Rockliff/SPP/Drew all in the midfield - kicking/leg speed - again. Perhaps only 2 Spots for these guys max. Rozee, Houston might help this, maybe Burton might push into midfield too - really rate his kicking.

Yep. Midfield needs a revamp. Houston, Rozee and Burton all need to be big players in there going forward.

Yep. Midfield needs a revamp. Houston, Rozee and Burton all need to be big players in there going forward.

That would be refreshing than having boak (sorry to include you with the following), wines and rockcliff who combined make us too slow and one dimensional. Westhoff and Amon brought something different to the mix but are simply not part of a modern midfield that wins premierships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back