Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
B: Jonas McKenzie Houston
HB: DBJ Aliir Hartlett
C: Amon Wines Duursma
HF: Rozee Marshall Butters
F: Ladhams Dixon Gray
R: Lycett Boak Rockliff
INT: Burton SPP Motlop Fantasia

Wanted to find a spot for Bergman in the side but at full strength he just can't get into what I think is the best backline in the comp. Lachie Jones is well off the pace imo, will need more time in the SANFL. My biggest concern with him so far though is that the game looked too fast for him - he always took too long whenever he had the footy. Not sure that the SANFL is where he can improve that area of his game either simply because the game itself there is slower than AFL standards.

I don't see how you can play all of Clurey, McKenzie, Aliir and Jonas in the same side. Jonas and Aliir are walkup starts. One of McKenzie and Clurey are going to consider themselves very unlucky come round 1. I would play McKenzie simply because I think he offers more in terms of ball use and his 1 on 1 defending imo is better than Clurey.

I don't think Rockliff will play every game this year simply because Drew looks the goods. Serious talent there - obvious to see why we've persevered with him despite a slew of injuries. Does he get in the round 1 side? Gut says no, but it would be near a coin flip at this point I'd think. If SPP is still recovering from the broken hand then Drew is an automatic selection for round 1.

Last choice was between Motlop and Georgiades. Motlop has been very good in the 2 pre-season trials so I have him ahead of Georgiades for now. Can easily see this going the other way during the year though.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Hey guys, fantasy question here.

Just wondering if Port have any draftees from either 2020, or the last couple years who are doing well in the intra-club games/scratch match from this week. Would you expect them to be best 22?

Thanks in advance.
There is probably 1 spot between Bergman (170k fwd) and Jones (240k def) on the half back line in the round 1 team

They would both play 6+ games throughout the year

I think you play Clurey over McKenzie in our backline. Jonas, Aliir and McKenzie are all intercept first defenders, I think we want at least one KPD back there whose main focus is stopping his opponent.

Last edited:
B: T. Jonas, T. Clurey, H. Hartlett
HB: D. Houston, A. Aliir, D. Byrne-Jones
C: K. Amon, T. Rockliff, X. Duursma
HF: C. Rozee, T. Marshall, Z. Butters
F. R. Gray, C. Dixon, O. Fantasia
R: S. Lycett, T. Boak, O. Wines
INT: R. Burton, P. Ladhams, S. Motlop, S. Powell-Pepper

Georgiades in if SPP doesn't get up for Round 1. McKenzie, Bergman, Drew all also knocking on the door, even Bonner if he keeps up his strong form from the practice matches. The wing/HF role suits him a lot better than the half back role did. Jones I think still needs a bit of work.

Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
FB: T.Clurey | T.Jonas | R.Burton
HB: D.Byrne-Jones | A.Aliir | D.Houston
C: X.Duursma | O.Wines | K.Amon
R: S.Lycett | T.Boak | S.Powell-Pepper
HF: C.Rozee | T.Marshall | Z.Butters
FF: R.Gray | C.Dixon | O.Fantasia
I: P.Ladhams | H.Hartlett | T.Rockliff | S.Motlop

I had Georgiades going into the season but Motlop has earnt the last forward spot I think so far. Drew is very very close and if he produces another performance like yesterday I’d have him over Rockliff (Or SPP if he’s not ready). Clurey over McKenzie as he’s better 1 on 1 but I believe McKenzie could potentially push Hartlett out along with Jones and Bergman. An injury or form lapse from any of our running players as well gives Bonner a shot I think as he looked not bad yesterday. If Georgiades does knock down the door that last forward spot will be a massive battle between himself, Motlop, Marshall and Fantasia depending on if we want to play tall or small. So much quality in this side will be interesting to see how the selection committee plays it.

Oct 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lock this in.

B: Burton - Clurey - Jonas
HB: Houston - Aliir - Byrne-Jones
C: Amon - Wines - Duursma
HF: Rozee - Georgiadis - Butters
F: Gray - Dixon - Fantasia
R: Lycett - Boak - Drew
Int: Bonner, Ladhams, Motlop, Hartlett

Round 1 side:

B: T. Jonas, T. Clurey, R. Burton
HF: R. Gray, M. Georgiades, Z. Butters
F: O. Fantasia, C. Dixon, P. Ladhams
INT: R. Bonner, W. Drew, M. Bergman, S. Motlop

Rozee, Hartlett, Marshall, SPP are in my fully fit best 22, they'd probably take those 4 bench spots, but I'm happy to reward the guys in good form and put it on that lot to work their way back in. Nobody's side in the spot should be considered completely safe this year, we've got the depth to keep people on their toes.

Also I can't believe I've picked Bonner, but he deserves it. Looks a completely different player up the ground and away from the backline.

Hopefully Bonner's 2021 is the equivalent of Amon's 2019. He's got the talent.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
B: Jonas McKenzie Houston
HB: DBJ Aliir Burton
HF: Fantasia Georgiades Butters
F: Ladhams Dixon Gray
R: Lycett Boak Drew
INT: Bergman SPP Motlop Bonner

Assuming Hartlett doesn't get up and Rozee is the obvious out for round 1. Assuming SPP is healthy too - if not then Rockliff gets a game most likely. Georgiades did plenty to suggest Marshall will have to work back into the side, and I don't think we can let Drew's form keep him out. Rocky might be hard done by, but he will no doubt be needed in the winter months - but definitely not round 1 on a fast Etihad deck. Still not sold on Clurey - I would prefer McKenzie, but I do think they'll keep Clurey in the side given McKenzie has had next to no work this pre-season.

No idea why the commentators were questioning today whether we can afford to play two rucks. Ladhams and Lycett would have to be one of the better 1-2 ruck combos in the league, and Ladhams is a bit of a unicorn given he plays like a midfielder when he's a ruck, but he looks quite natural as a leading forward out of the goal square too.

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gee whiz some blokes are gonna feel quite rightly a bit hard done by when the Rd 1 team is named and there is no room for them

B: McKenzie, Jonas, Burton
HB: DBJ, Aliir, Houston
C: Amon, Wines, Duursma
HF: Gray, Marshall, Butters
F: Rozee, Dixon, Fantasia
R: Lycett, Boak, Powell-Pepper
Int: Motlop, Hartlett, Drew, Ladhams

Is probably my best 22 at the moment, and we still have options like
Farrell, Bonner, Georgiades, Clurey, Rockliff, Jones, Bergman, Lienert and Mayes just off the top of my head that wouldn't look out of place in that lineup either.

It's looking scary good, everyone is gonna have to be at the top of their games if they want to keep their spot.

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Round 1 side:

C: K. Amon, O. Wines, X. Duursma
HF: S. Motlop, M. Georgiades, T. Marshall
F: O. Fantasia, C. Dixon, R. Gray
R: S. Lycett, T. Boak, Z.Butters
INT: R. Bonner, W. Drew, P. Ladhams, M.Bergman

Unlucky...Rockliff and Farrell

We have a hell of a deep list this year, gonna be competition for spots the whole run through. One of the few times I've ever felt we can weather some injuries.

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm suprised to see people leave out Hartlett.
He's our vice captain and obviously rated highly amongst the group. And for good reason too, he's hard as nails, provides leadership and experience and his kicking is still a weapon off half back. He's almost one of my first picked. Yes we have options now to cover him if he's unavailable but in my opinion, if we are seriously challenging for the premiership this year, I want him in the side.

I'm suprised to see people leave out Hartlett.
He's our vice captain and obviously rated highly amongst the group. And for good reason too, he's hard as nails, provides leadership and experience and his kicking is still a weapon off half back. He's almost one of my first picked. Yes we have options now to cover him if he's unavailable but in my opinion, if we are seriously challenging for the premiership this year, I want him in the side.

He's in my best 22 but he's not in my Round 1 side. Reward form.

Happy to give somebody like Bergman a taste against bottom 4 sides like Norf and Essendon and back Hammer to work his way back in.

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not our best 22 but round 1 side

B: Jonas McKenzie Burton
HB: DBJ Aliir Houston
HF: Butters Georgiades Gray
F: Fantasia Dixon Marshall
R: Lycett Boak Drew
Int: Ladhams Motlop SPP Bonnor

unlucky: Rockliff, Bergman, Hartlett, Farrell, Clurey
Rozee to return when possible

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Round 1 side:

HF: R. Gray, M. Georgiades, Z. Butters
F: O. Fantasia, C. Dixon, P. Ladhams
INT: R. Bonner, W. Drew, M. Bergman, S. Motlop

Rozee, Hartlett, Marshall, SPP are in my fully fit best 22, they'd probably take those 4 bench spots, but I'm happy to reward the guys in good form and put it on that lot to work their way back in. Nobody's side in the spot should be considered completely safe this year, we've got the depth to keep people on their toes.
Seem to me to be spot on! Rozee, Marshall and SPP could expect a place in the side once fit, however Hartlett is another matter. His weak effort in deliberately knocking the ball out of bounds in last year’s PF was obviously noted by the coaches. His remaining in the leadership group may be to report back on how the 2’s are going. Great club man, etc but we now have other player options.

Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Round 1
FB: T.Clurey | T.Jonas | R.Burton
HB: D.Byrne-Jones | A.Aliir | D.Houston
C: X.Duursma | O.Wines | K.Amon
R: S.Lycett | T.Boak | S.Powell-Pepper
HF: R.Bonner | T.Marshall | Z.Butters
FF: R.Gray | C.Dixon | O.Fantasia
I: P.Ladhams | H.Hartlett | W.Drew | S.Motlop
E: M.Georgiades | M.Bergman | T.Rockliff | K.Farrell
Rockliff for SPP if he’s not ready
Bergman for Hartlett if he’s not ready
McKenzie misses out.
Farrell very unlucky but Bonners earned his spot at half forward for round one.
Rozee comes in for Motlop or Farrell when fit.

* this team has so much depth though, basically everyone that played yesterday plus SPP, Marshall, Hartlett and McKenzie could all be in our best 22.

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hopefully we will be able to rest players who have minor injuries as the year wears on. If you don’t have depth, the temptation is to play people who are injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back