Opinion The External Opinions On Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Port's problem is that they have a lot of B-graders but not a lot of stars.

Westhoff is a jack of all trades master of none
Dixon has never kicked 50 goals in a season
Gray has been, at times turned into a small forward for... reasons
Rockliff is meat and potatoes and not much more
Wines is a slightly better Rockliff
SPP is a slightly worse Rockliff

I don't mind Boak, but he's not one of the top 15 midfielders of the competition IMO, meaning their midfield sits behind a few other teams who are better there.

Their backline has been heralded at times for being underrated. If anything, it's overrated and IMO their backline is often undersized and not that good. They traded one of their best young defenders for... reasons.

Hinkley isn't much, but I don't think this side is top four. Maybe top eight if they all click but they rarely do, because they're a team of B-graders. I've said this before but Port remind me of Richmond in the 90s who were full of B-graders who were inconsistent.
I feel like they only come off as B graders due to their poor management. I think we could potentially have better Brownlow contenders if we only managed our players properly. Robbie is a good example, I think he is a fantastic midfield and a good forward, but the team cannot decide on where they'd prefer to use him, not to mention how much they rely on him to win games on his own shoulders. He's basically Dustin Martin except poorly managed and heavily relied on.

I feel like they only come off as B graders due to their poor management. I think we could potentially have better Brownlow contenders if we only managed our players properly. Robbie is a good example, I think he is a fantastic midfield and a good forward, but the team cannot decide on where they'd prefer to use him, not to mention how much they rely on him to win games on his own shoulders. He's basically Dustin Martin except poorly managed and heavily relied on
I agree that Gray is a star, but not as a forward pocket. I don't know who's at fault for his lack of influence, is it poor coaching, is it Gray not picking the right moments to move forward and into the midfield? Is Gray struggling? All I know is that Gray as he currently stands doesn't influence football games as much as elite players do, and is too inconsistent. As for the Martin comparisons, Gray is a gun but Martin regularly influences matches in the midfield or forwardline.

I don't think Port's problems have anything to do with identify, colours, name etc. This is the kind of stuff that confuses and irritates outsiders and maybe some fans, but it doesn't stop you from being able to play the game. This stuff didn't stop them from being one of the best sides in the 00s. There's been plenty of sides with a clear identity who have been rubbish.

What does matter is having good coaching, good players and an effective list management strategy. They haven't had that for a while.

This.

As a neutral that lives in and has grown up in SA, I don't think the identity thing is nearly the issue it is made out to be outside of this stage. The old SANFL allegiances/hatreds are pretty old hat and irrelevant now days, too, mainly because the big bad dominant Port Magpies of the '70s, '80s, and '90s are no more (haven't won a SANFL premiership for 20 years), and the AFL firmly being the main game in town.

Port's list is too samey, too much emphasis placed on hardness over skill, and a number of quality players with a point of difference (size, skill, flair) have been dealt away over the past couple of off-seasons, and incoming players of a similar type haven't lived up to expectations.

Have to wonder, is there synergy between the list management and recruiting, and the coaching staff? Who is driving their list management and selection decisions, and why? Surely the results and clear trends bore out in the team stats (they're league leaders in "the hard stuff" - contested possessions, clearances, tackles, one percenters - but are very mediocre elsewhere) would be cause for change, or at least some different decisions?

I agree that Gray is a star, but not as a forward pocket. I don't know who's at fault for his lack of influence, is it poor coaching, is it Gray not picking the right moments to move forward and into the midfield? Is Gray struggling? All I know is that Gray as he currently stands doesn't influence football games as much as elite players do, and is too inconsistent. As for the Martin comparisons, Gray is a gun but Martin regularly influences matches in the midfield or forwardline.

I think the simple answer is that Gray probably just doesn't have the physical capability to play full-time in the middle for a whole season anymore. He's always been injury-prone and kind of fragile. He managed a few seasons (2014-2016) where he got more midfield time out of himself, but they coincided with what would be expected to be a player's peak years (ages 25-29). Even then, he still spent a fair bit of time up forward.

He did manage 47 goals and 30 goal assists as recently as 2017, playing majority up forward, which is an elite season as a small forward. He's rolled through the middle a fair bit more in 2018-2019, but that's moreso out of necessity than by initial design from what I've seen. I think at 32 years old, they'd ideally like to use him up forward, to kick goals and create for others.

If people are expecting the "all-round combo" from him again, circa 2014 (24.88 disposals per game, 42 goals, 33 goal assists), they'll be sorely disappointed. He's had his peak, and is on the other side of the mountain now.

Really good comparison. Although I do hold outhigher hopes Essendon in 2020 .

i thought Port were going to be the next big thing a few years back . I must say though that Rozee truly excites me . IMO him and Stack will be the two from last years first year players to be greats .
Go the Power . Goid luck fir 2020 .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I wish we had taken Stack in. Im very surprised we didn't back ourselves there. Speaks volumes of our confidence in ourselves. Old school EFC would have been all over him.

I think Port will build to a good place.
The ingredients are all there.
Elites in Gray, Boak and Wines
Excellent KP depth, led by Dixon (his fitness is everything)
Great ruck setup
Decent backline.
And some ripping kids coming through.

It may be a simple matter of the right coach for this group

I wish we had taken Stack in. Im very surprised we didn't back ourselves there. Speaks volumes of our confidence in ourselves. Old school EFC would have been all over him.

Great ruck setup
Decent backline.

Gray and Boak are wrong side of 30 together with Westoff.

Can’t understand why they traded Howard.

Rozee and Dursma are good to excellent. Will wait and see tho, not sure depth is there.

My opinion on Port Adelaide = Koch thinks they are Liverpool, when in reality they are Scun thorpe United. (space entered so it would stay and not auto change)
The delusion is strong down that way.

Yeah get the Liverpool analogy . It’s like Collingwood think they are Man U and Real Madrid rolled into one but in reality are the fifth biggest team in the local competition!!

Koch is good at getting port into headlines but he can be very loose and a tad bit plastic .

Ports issue is that there fans need to realise they have actuality had great value from the sides put on the park . They are an attitude adjustment away from being a good goid teAm .

The coach has sure got away with a lot , a lot of good players leave that club fir some reason ,

Anyhow, have a good 2020 season .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At least with Dustin, they don't need to rely on him to carry the team on his shoulders, even though it might come off that way. Ever since showdown 44 in 2018, I've kind of realized that Port seems to almost always win when Robbie is switched on, and what makes it worse is that he actually needs to break the gameplan and the pace of the game in order to break the game open. That's huge compliment to his own talent, but not to the rest of the team...

This.

As a neutral that lives in and has grown up in SA, I don't think the identity thing is nearly the issue it is made out to be outside of this stage. The old SANFL allegiances/hatreds are pretty old hat and irrelevant now days, too, mainly because the big bad dominant Port Magpies of the '70s, '80s, and '90s are no more (haven't won a SANFL premiership for 20 years), and the AFL firmly being the main game in town.

Port's list is too samey, too much emphasis placed on hardness over skill, and a number of quality players with a point of difference (size, skill, flair) have been dealt away over the past couple of off-seasons, and incoming players of a similar type haven't lived up to expectations.

Have to wonder, is there synergy between the list management and recruiting, and the coaching staff? Who is driving their list management and selection decisions, and why? Surely the results and clear trends bore out in the team stats (they're league leaders in "the hard stuff" - contested possessions, clearances, tackles, one percenters - but are very mediocre elsewhere) would be cause for change, or at least some different decisions?

This is the feeling I get too, where the side is full of players who are limited. Even their "livewires" players like Motlop and Dixon aren't that skilful. My question though is that if this side is limited in terms of talent, why are they so inconsistent, and why is the effort not consistently there?

They demolished Essendon by eleven goals in Melbourne, only to be beaten by North by 15 goals at the same venue two weeks later. They beat West Coast by seven goals in Perth, but lost to Fremantle in Perth by 21 points. They were the second team to beat Geelong this season. They are, for a while now, alongside Essendon and Fremantle one of the hardest teams to tip. Even when you do tip them right, they often end up winning by a margin you didn't expect.

Is it because they're a team who are full of players with significant strengths and weaknesses, so some weeks it clicks, and other weeks, it doesn't? Is it purely effort related? Another weird stat is their inside 50 dominance this year, which they were unable to convert into scores.

Great ruck setup
Decent backline.

See this is what I'm talking about with the idea of Port being filled with superstars. Gray is too inconsistent to be considered elite and, as Damon points out, is on the decline. Wines isn't classy enough to be considered elite. KPP depth? They just traded out one of their best young KPDs, and Dixon is inferior to the key forwards of most of the finals teams this year and barely scrapes into the top ten KPFs in the league. Their ruck setup is Lycett, that's it. As for their backline, they leaked the least amount of inside 50s this year, but were 8th for scores against.

Just to illustrate my point, they got rid of two or their skilled players in Wingard and Pittard. Wingard was underwhelming at the start of the year but had a few good games late leaving us wondering where he's really at. Pittard was his usual self, playing completely outside and committing some really dumb mistakes. None of these players really improved as they left the team, meaning it's not the coach which held them back, they just aren't that good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too many downhill skiers/flat track bullies.

If Jack Watts was a club, he would be Port Adelaide.

2017 they didn't pick until 47 (Sam Hayes), instead bringing in Watts, Motlop, Rockliff, Trengove, McKenzie...they let Impey (22 at the time), Austin (22) and Ah Chee (24) go - the latter 2 are borderline anyway, and I understand they'd have requested trades anyway, but I would have fought to keep those 3 rather than seek DFA's such as Trengove and McKenzie, and a guy like Motlop.

Then 2018 it swings on its head, they pick Butters, Rozee and Duursma, and trade in Burton, but lose Wingard, Polec, Pittard, and then also got in Lycett (an astute decision I think based on where Ryder was at).

It's overall just a strange list strategy. I understand the need for an even spread of age, you want senior experience but also to hit drafts you rate heavily, but I can't work out whether Port think they are coming or going.

To me there was a lack of genuine young talent, so it makes sense to hit 2018 hard. But 2017 is odd because with Boak, Gray, Ryder, Jonas, Hartlett, Westhoff, Ebert, Dixon, Wines, Broadbent, Polec, Pittard, Wingard - did they really need to add senior B graders? They could have looked to take a punt on the final couple of list spots with kids, increasing their chance of finding a hidden gem. There was already plenty of seniority, but no one with the rating of Rozee on the list at the time (SPP and Howard the 2 main ones, both of which have since been managed strangely).

And then 2019 they look to make some space for youth to start coming through (Ryder out, Ladhams a chance) but also gave a solid whack of games to Sutcliffe (only on the list for half a year), Broadbent, Ryder, S.Gray, Motlop...why? 3 of those players didn't seem likely to have a Port contract for 2020, another explored his options, the other didn't even dominate at SANFL level.

Houston, Marshall, Drew, Burton, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Byrne-Jones, Amon, Bonner is a decent haul. But add Impey, Austin, Howard and they've got some added depth and keys. They've got a weird mix due to topping up into a bag that was already full (senior role players), potentially topping up for a flag, but very quickly backtracking on that and now drafting kids but aiming to finish mid table.

2017 they didn't pick until 47 (Sam Hayes), instead bringing in Watts, Motlop, Rockliff, Trengove, McKenzie...they let Impey (22 at the time), Austin (22) and Ah Chee (24) go - the latter 2 are borderline anyway, and I understand they'd have requested trades anyway, but I would have fought to keep those 3 rather than seek DFA's such as Trengove and McKenzie, and a guy like Motlop.

Then 2018 it swings on its head, they pick Butters, Rozee and Duursma, and trade in Burton, but lose Wingard, Polec, Pittard, and then also got in Lycett (an astute decision I think based on where Ryder was at).

It's overall just a strange list strategy. I understand the need for an even spread of age, you want senior experience but also to hit drafts you rate heavily, but I can't work out whether Port think they are coming or going.

To me there was a lack of genuine young talent, so it makes sense to hit 2018 hard. But 2017 is odd because with Boak, Gray, Ryder, Jonas, Hartlett, Westhoff, Ebert, Dixon, Wines, Broadbent, Polec, Pittard, Wingard - did they really need to add senior B graders? They could have looked to take a punt on the final couple of list spots with kids, increasing their chance of finding a hidden gem. There was already plenty of seniority, but no one with the rating of Rozee on the list at the time (SPP and Howard the 2 main ones, both of which have since been managed strangely).

And then 2019 they look to make some space for youth to start coming through (Ryder out, Ladhams a chance) but also gave a solid whack of games to Sutcliffe (only on the list for half a year), Broadbent, Ryder, S.Gray, Motlop...why? 3 of those players didn't seem likely to have a Port contract for 2020, another explored his options, the other didn't even dominate at SANFL level.

Houston, Marshall, Drew, Burton, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Byrne-Jones, Amon, Bonner is a decent haul. But add Impey, Austin, Howard and they've got some added depth and keys. They've got a weird mix due to topping up into a bag that was already full (senior role players), potentially topping up for a flag, but very quickly backtracking on that and now drafting kids but aiming to finish mid table.

They have no idea what they're doing. Our list is now in a terrible mess with hardly any players in that key 23-27 prime age bracket.
Oh and we got rid of half of our talls because reasons

Port fans have a real sick case of little brother syndrome.

Adelaide aren't a real club like us. We actually have tradition unlike them. Blah blah blah.

Being so vocal about the 150 year anniversary has been somewhat embarrassing imo, no one in the competition thinks of Port Power as the Port Magpies except Port Magpies fans. "Look at our heritage, we're actually 150 years old, we have such tradition.. So don't call us Power or Port Power or anything like that, it's not really who we are"

You're the Power from Port, no matter how much you try to tell us you're really the Magpies from Port Adelaide. Accept it and move on ffs.

Port fans have a real sick case of little brother syndrome.

Adelaide aren't a real club like us. We actually have tradition unlike them. Blah blah blah.

Being so vocal about the 150 year anniversary has been somewhat embarrassing imo, no one in the competition thinks of Port Power as the Port Magpies except Port Magpies fans. "Look at our heritage, we're actually 150 years old, we have such tradition.. So don't call us Power or Port Power or anything like that, it's not really who we are"

You're the Power from Port, no matter how much you try to tell us you're really the Magpies from Port Adelaide. Accept it and move on ffs.

In fairness to Port, I'd be trying to go back to being the Magpies too if I'd changed to such a s**t gimmicky name like the "Power". Seriously, can anybody please tell me what the reasoning was behind that moniker and those ugly strips?

Port lack direction at the moment. Almost identical to Essendon in many ways. They lack leaders. They make dumb decisions like the Howard trade

Port's problem is that they have a lot of B-graders but not a lot of stars.

they seem a little stuck in the middle North Melbourne like, not bad enough to access quality talent, but not good enough to progress

are we allowed to call them Tenth Adelaide ? (5 times in 11 years)

Got ahead of themselves after 2014. Kept playing the same guys for too long thus there was/is a lack of ruthlessness in the squad. Hinkley brought something fresh to the table in 2013/14 and they were exciting to watch. Now, aside from their kids they are still stale and mediocre.

Have now been mired in mediocrity for too long and need to keep going to the draft. They have made a great start in this regard.

This is the feeling I get too, where the side is full of players who are limited. Even their "livewires" players like Motlop and Dixon aren't that skilful. My question though is that if this side is limited in terms of talent, why are they so inconsistent, and why is the effort not consistently there?

They demolished Essendon by eleven goals in Melbourne, only to be beaten by North by 15 goals at the same venue two weeks later. They beat West Coast by seven goals in Perth, but lost to Fremantle in Perth by 21 points. They were the second team to beat Geelong this season. They are, for a while now, alongside Essendon and Fremantle one of the hardest teams to tip. Even when you do tip them right, they often end up winning by a margin you didn't expect.

Is it because they're a team who are full of players with significant strengths and weaknesses, so some weeks it clicks, and other weeks, it doesn't? Is it purely effort related? Another weird stat is their inside 50 dominance this year, which they were unable to convert into scores.

I think its general list management issue. Most logical supporters knew where our list was at even after 2014 when we had a really good injury free run to the prelim, we haven't had a top 4 finish since 2007 (ladder wise after the H&A, but in 2014 we made the prelim) so in reality we just dont have the cattle. We also bottomed out at the worst period possible (after our fall in the late 2000's) with GWS and GC taking most of the early picks, so our drafting was always going to be affected. Not sure how much of a difference that would have made.

We also had some cash issues after 2007 with the club being one of the poorest, at one point we barely could afford a coaching panel.

Ideally now we can bring in some good talent while guys like boak/gray/hammer are still there to transition the list without completely bottoming out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back