Opinion The Fab 4 of the Big 3 Dynasty's: It's time for some serious analysis.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
There were plenty of crap teams during the Brions era also, where 4 points were a gimme....West Coast, St.Kilda & Fremantle in 2001, all with 5 wins or less.....Carlton & St.Kilda in 2002, Footscray, Carlton & Melbourne in 2003 & Footscray, Richmond & Hawthorn in 2004.

So your argument is a nonsense......And your opinion holds very little weight, where the stats & the facts of the matter go to expose just how deficient the Brions were, when measured up against the Hawks & Cats dynasty's, on a H & A winning ratio % scale.

Not even in the same ball-park.....Where the Brions equalled the Hawks & Cats, was at the crunch end of the year during finals, where all 3 dynasty's are almost inseparable in comparison to each other.
Bris started seasons really badly. They didn’t care what happened in the early rounds. Not sure what happens in round 1 is a way to judge. The mighty Roo team in the 90s did this as well. The boring early rounds counted for little. Only desperate one eyed fans use it as part of an argument.

How good was that ess team they beat in 2001!!! 1 loss the year before.

But but but they lost some meaningless games in April!!

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Bris started seasons really badly. They didn’t care what happened in the early rounds. Not sure what happens in round 1 is a way to judge. The mighty Roo team in the 90s did this as well. The boring early rounds counted for little. Only desperate one eyed fans use it as part of an argument.

How good was that ess team they beat in 2001!!! 1 loss the year before.

But but but they lost some meaningless games in April!!

I'll tell you how good that 2001 Bombers side was....If not for Goldspank robbing us blind in the Preliminary Final, then we would have rolled them the week prior.....That's how good they were.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I'll tell you how good that 2001 Bombers side was....If not for Goldspank robbing us blind in the Preliminary Final, then we would have rolled them the week prior.....That's how good they were.
Lol what?? You won the free kick count 23-15 and still sook?? Imagine being a Roo supporter watching the 94 prelim!!!

Brissy smashed you by nearly 90 points during the year - thank god you didn’t make it through to the granny.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Lol what?? You won the free kick count 23-15 and still sook?? Imagine being a Roo supporter watching the 94 prelim!!!

Brissy smashed you by nearly 90 points during the year - thank god you didn’t make it through to the granny.

The point is that you keep on over-selling the Brizzy opposition, during their dynasty era, as a means by which to back up your arguments...…When that perspective has more holes in it than swiss cheese.....Alls you can do is beat the teams that come up before you each week.

So again.....Hawks/Cats>>>>>>Brions….a long ways back in third spot.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
The point is that you keep on over-selling the Brizzy opposition, during their dynasty era, as a means by which to back up your arguments...…When that perspective has more holes in it than swiss cheese.....Alls you can do is beat the teams that come up before you each week.

So again.....Hawks/Cats>>>>>>Brions….a long ways back in third spot.
You’re so one eyed and bias this thread has become a pearler!!!

Bris didn’t get to play against teams that bad they won 1 - GWS and Dees 2 games for the year.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You’re so one eyed and bias this thread has become a pearler!!!

Bris didn’t get to play against teams that bad they won 1 - GWS and Dees 2 games for the year.

Brizzy got to play-off against a side with one of the worst Grand Final records in VFL/AFL history, twice in a row.....Spin it whichever way you like.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Brizzy got to play-off against a side with one of the worst Grand Final records in VFL/AFL history, twice in a row.....Spin it whichever way you like.

This is an embarrassing post - what the hell did the Pies of 2002/2003 have to do with the 1901 Pies team!! It’s irrelevant. Records count for zero when running out onto the ground Grand Final day.

Bris beating 3 Vic teams >>>>>> Hawks beating interstate teams.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Lol why the hell is 2000 being counted!!! What a great way to skew the stats. This thread is gold!!

LOL....You just noticed it's a 5-year comparative dynasty now did you?......Jeepers creepers.

So as to fit the Cats 07,09 & 11 dynasty into the equation, you silly sausage.....Oh boy, we've got a quick one here.

I couldn't very well count 2005, given the Brions slid off the cliff so quickly, what with their almighty side n all.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
LOL....You just noticed it's a 5-year comparative dynasty now did you?......Jeepers creepers.

So as to fit the Cats 07,09 & 11 dynasty into the equation, you silly sausage.....Oh boy, we've got a quick one here.

I couldn't very well count 2005, given the Brions slid off the cliff so quickly, what with their almighty side n all.

You needed an angle so brought in a totally irrelevant year. One that skews your stats to favour the Hawks. End of the day Bris is still 1.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
You needed an angle so brought in a totally irrelevant year. One that skews your stats to favour the Hawks. End of the day Bris is still 1.

You don't read so good....Nor count so good for that matter.

I had to make it 5 years so as to include the Cats in the equation.....DAH!

And besides that, the Cats never played in 4 Grand Finals in a row, they missed out in 2010, remember?

Last edited:
May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
You don't read so good....Nor count so good for that matter.

I had to make it 5 years so as to include the Cats in the equation.....DAH!

And besides that, the Cats never played in 4 Grand Finals in a row, they missed out in 2010, remember?
Skewing the stats to push your team over the line. Didn’t work - Bris 1.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Skewing the stats to push your team over the line. Didn’t work - Bris 1.

I never skewed anything.....My thread has been up front & open right from the start, so as to accommodate the Cats 3 Flags.....Tis you who are in possession of the skewed vision my friend.

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is an embarrassing post - what the hell did the Pies of 2002/2003 have to do with the 1901 Pies team!! It’s irrelevant. Records count for zero when running out onto the ground Grand Final day.

Bris beating 3 Vic teams >>>>>> Hawks beating interstate teams.

Whilst I am happy to concede that it is perfectly valid to have Brisbane no 1 (and I assume you will dimiss my opinion as biased), Grand Final opponent is NOT a reason to have Brisbane No 1. Personnel across every line, toughness, aura, etc may be reasons to use but Grand Final opponent is not.

Being a Victorian side does not make them better sides.

Do you remember the Collingwood sides of those years?

In 2002, Collingwood won 13 games for the year with a percentage of just 109! By contrast, that record would not have even made the 8 last season. It would have been the equivalent of North Melbourne making the Grand Final last year.

2003 was not much better (15 wins and about the equivalent of Hawthorn last year). That side was one of the weakest Grand Final sides of all time. As a reminder, here is how they lined up:

B: Johnson, Wakelin, Clement
HB: Lokan, Presti, Cole
C: Holland, Buckley, Lonie
HF: O'Bree, J. Cloke, Burns
F: Kinnear, Walker, Tarrant
R:Fraser, Woewodin, Licuria

Look at that foward line! Jason Cloke and Tristen Walker as the key talls. Buckley aside, that is a terrible midfield for a 'contender'. Even the rebounders off half back - Matthew Lokan and Richard Cole - Ha! they would struggle to get games for Carlton or Gold Coast these days.

Compare that to say Sydney of 2014. They won 17 games with a percentage of 143! Some (Malthouse originally and others agreed) were talking them up as having one of the greatest lists of all time.

West Coast had a percentage up around 149! and won 16.5 games. Again, far far superior to Brisbane's opponents.

Go and have a look at their line ups as well. Syd midfield had Kennedy, Parker, Hannebury, McVeigh, Jack kicking it to Franklin, Goodes, Tippett, etc. WC midfield had Natainui, Priddis, Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Sheed kicking to Kennedy, Darling, LeCras, etc. But yeah, playing against a midfield of Fraser, Buckley, Woewodin, Lonie who were kicking to Walker, Cloke, Kinnear, etc. is so much harder because of the state the club is based in :rolleyes:

It's almost as if Hawthorn would have gotten more credit playing against one of the inferior Victorian sides that were not good enough to make it.

Anyway, as I said - happy for you to have Brisbane No 1 but Grand Final opponent is NOT a valid reason.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Whilst I am happy to concede that it is perfectly valid to have Brisbane no 1 (and I assume you will dimiss my opinion as biased), Grand Final opponent is NOT a reason to have Brisbane No 1. Personnel across every line, toughness, aura, etc may be reasons to use but Grand Final opponent is not.

Being a Victorian side does not make them better sides.

Do you remember the Collingwood sides of those years?

In 2002, Collingwood won 13 games for the year with a percentage of just 109! By contrast, that record would not have even made the 8 last season. It would have been the equivalent of North Melbourne making the Grand Final last year.

2003 was not much better (15 wins and about the equivalent of Hawthorn last year). That side was one of the weakest Grand Final sides of all time. As a reminder, here is how they lined up:

B: Johnson, Wakelin, Clement
HB: Lokan, Presti, Cole
C: Holland, Buckley, Lonie
HF: O'Bree, J. Cloke, Burns
F: Kinnear, Walker, Tarrant
R:Fraser, Woewodin, Licuria

Look at that foward line! Jason Cloke and Tristen Walker as the key talls. Buckley aside, that is a terrible midfield for a 'contender'. Even the rebounders off half back - Matthew Lokan and Richard Cole - Ha! they would struggle to get games for Carlton or Gold Coast these days.

Compare that to say Sydney of 2014. They won 17 games with a percentage of 143! Some (Malthouse originally and others agreed) were talking them up as having one of the greatest lists of all time.

West Coast had a percentage up around 149! and won 16.5 games. Again, far far superior to Brisbane's opponents.

Go and have a look at their line ups as well. Syd midfield had Kennedy, Parker, Hannebury, McVeigh, Jack kicking it to Franklin, Goodes, Tippett, etc. WC midfield had Natainui, Priddis, Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Sheed kicking to Kennedy, Darling, LeCras, etc. But yeah, playing against a midfield of Fraser, Buckley, Woewodin, Lonie who were kicking to Walker, Cloke, Kinnear, etc. is so much harder because of the state the club is based in :rolleyes:

It's almost as if Hawthorn would have gotten more credit playing against one of the inferior Victorian sides that were not good enough to make it.

Anyway, as I said - happy for you to have Brisbane No 1 but Grand Final opponent is NOT a valid reason.

Essendon of 2001 >>>>>>>> Freo 2013, Swans 2014, WCE 2015.

Pies % was poor in 2002 - 3 teams made the 8 with less than 100%. The bottom 2 teams that year won 8 games with % of 78% & 73%. They both lost by 100 points once each. It was a much tougher year than 2013.

Everyone in 2013 was over 100% - the bottom 2 teams won 3 games with % of 54% and 50%. We finished 10th and had a % of 119.53%!!! I wouldn't use % in a much weaker year.
Dees lost games by 148, 122 & 5 games by more than 80 points.
GWS lost games by 135, 121, 113, 100 and 4 games by more than 80 points.

The talent was spread out by the expansion teams and the drafts made it really hard on poor clubs to improve.

Also if you want to name players lets talk about a Paul Duffield, Zac Dawson, Lee Spur, Sutcliffe, Suban, De Boer, Mayne!!

Amazing effort for any team to win 3 in a row. I have the brutal lions in front.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Essendon of 2001 >>>>>>>> Freo 2013, Swans 2014, WCE 2015.

Pies % was poor in 2002 - 3 teams made the 8 with less than 100%. The bottom 2 teams that year won 8 games with % of 78% & 73%. They both lost by 100 points once each. It was a much tougher year than 2013.

Everyone in 2013 was over 100% - the bottom 2 teams won 3 games with % of 54% and 50%. We finished 10th and had a % of 119.53%!!! I wouldn't use % in a much weaker year.
Dees lost games by 148, 122 & 5 games by more than 80 points.
GWS lost games by 135, 121, 113, 100 and 4 games by more than 80 points.

The talent was spread out by the expansion teams and the drafts made it really hard on poor clubs to improve.

Also if you want to name players lets talk about a Paul Duffield, Zac Dawson, Lee Spur, Sutcliffe, Suban, De Boer, Mayne!!

Amazing effort for any team to win 3 in a row. I have the brutal lions in front.

LOL.....The very same Essadone we would have knocked off in the Preliminary Final, had it not of been for umpire Goldspank…..You really are clutching at straws here.

The same Fremantle in 2013 who knocked off the Cats on the Cats home deck.....The same Cats who we had to come from behind to, to defeat them in the 2013 Preliminary final.....The same Fremantle who chocked the Swans to death in their 2013 Preliminary Final & after which, all the so-called footy scribe experts said we had next to no chance of beating.

The same Swans of 2014, whom all the pundits backed in as the raging hot favourites to smash us to bits, after they obliterated North in their Preliminary Final by 10 goals.

The same West Coast who knocked us off a mere 3 weeks prior by 5 goals over in the West.

In fact, we went into all of those Grand Finals as the clear under-dog.

Geez you talk some shite mate.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Putting aside home and away games won, which is totally irrelevant when comparing 4 players,

I'm going Brisbane > Geelong > Hawthorn. For the players.

For the eras
Brisbane > Hawthorn > Geelong. No contest.

And the fact the 4 Hawks have 4 premierships >>>>No Contest.

Also….Both the Cats & Hawks eras are considerably longer & considerably better in terms of winning % than the Brions.

So much like the majority.....Your opinions simply do not square with the facts....Indeed, they're arse-ways about with them.....Which is fairly well what I'd expect from a supporter of a major Victorian rival.....Jealousy is indeed a curse.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
You went into a Grand Final against an interstate club in their first GF ever as clear underdogs?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
And the fact the 4 Hawks have 4 premierships >>>>No Contest.

Also….Both the Cats & Hawks eras are considerably longer & considerably better in terms of winning % than the Brions.

So much like the majority.....Your opinions simply do not square with the facts....Indeed, they're arse-ways about with them.....Which is fairly well what I'd expect from a supporter of a major Victorian rival.....Jealousy is indeed a curse.
Wow relax dude, you are sensitive and insecure.

Why do you bother to make a thread on a forum if you aren't willing to hear other opinions that are different from your own?

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wow relax dude, you are sensitive and insecure.

Why do you bother to make a thread on a forum if you aren't willing to hear other opinions that are different from your own?

If that's the best you can muster by way of a counter-argument, then you may as well wave the white flag.

Falling into the logical fallacy trap of ad-hom, is the usual provenance of the defeated.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
If that's the best you can muster by way of a counter-argument, then you may as well wave the white flag.

Falling into the logical fallacy trap of ad-hom, is the usual provenance of the defeated.
A counter argument to what? Brisbane 3 peat is the best team I've seen. That's a view shared by many.
You didnt bother counter arguing you went on some rant about jealousy and a curse. I'm not going to bother arguing with you. I'm perfectly comfortable if you disagree with my opinion, there are many who do agree that Brisbane side is the greatest of the AFL era. I'm not insecure enough that I need you to agree with my view. On the other hand you have attacked every opinion that differs from your own, trying to look clever in the process.
You just look like a bias troll.

Last edited:
Back